Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GPS Question

Posted by samkaren (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 13:29

I am going to Walmart this week to buy a GPS system. They have different brands and I was wondering if you could recommend a good brand to buy. Mine has to have voice recognition/activation.

Thanks
SamKaren
your resident DJ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GPS Question

Can you go to Amazon? Cheaper? We use Garmin in the car along with our OnStar system. You can also get hand held units at Staples. You might check them out and then check both Amazon and Tiger.com for price. Not sure if AAA has anything. Just my thoughts

o

I like our Garmin. We have a Tom Tom in the truck and I don't care for it as well.

o

My car was bought used, it came with a Garmin. I like it a lot, even when I don't need the voice prompts (If I'm familiar with the area) I keep it on "Map".

o

Garmin...none better.

o

I really like my Garmin.

o

I have a Garmin. Everyone I know who has a GPS also have Garmins. I haven't heard of any complaints. I really like mine. I don't know what you mean by voice activation/recognition. I'm pretty sure that all units have verbal prompts by the unit as a standard feature. If you mean that you want it to operate by your voice command, that's something I haven't heard of. I'm not an expert and, technology is flying, so that feature might be available, I'm just unaware of it,

o

my I phone does a better job than any other GPS forms I've used. The app came on my phone when I bought it.. I think. Pretty sure!
Do you use an I phone?
or an I pad?

o

My phone has navigation as well and it is all voice command if I chose.

o

I thought about the Iphone GPS feature after I posted. I don't have a smart phone, my niece does, and I know that you can speak your desired destination into the phone.

o

I would never get anything other than a Garmin, if I was wanting something besides the iPhone.

o

Garmin for me too..we are on our second one. I did not plan on buying a new one, but went into Best Buy and saw one on clearance that I could not pass up. It also came with free map updates. If you don't get the free map updates, you will be surprised at how much they cost.

o

Garmin, too, for me.
Also, don't get too picky about the screen size -- IMO, no reason for it to be bigger, rather than smaller.

I agree with Marie -- compare Amazon's prices, too. I got mine from Amazon (with a couple other items, so shipping was free). It has a good return/exchange policy, too.

o

My son has rented a lot of cars and had the opportunity to use many different GPS systems. He said the Garmin is the most user friendly. I have a friend whose husband is even more frugal than mine. He did much checking around and wound up with the Tom Tom. All I know is she never uses it....doesn't like it. Still goes to map quest. Some times saving money is not a savings!

o

SamKaren, be sure you get one with lifetime maps or they will charge you every time you update the maps. I like Garmin, too.

o

well I've decided...Garmin it is....thank you so much for all the input. Now I won't be as nervous when I decide to venture off.

SamKaren
your resident DJ

o

did a quick serch on amazon..

btw do you hace costco or sams?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/182-5537727-9194350?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=garmin+gps

o

Garmin here also. We have 4 of them! Bought one for each of our kids for Christmas one year, it was such a good deal I got us one also. Then DH bought one off ebay, exactly like ours, used, and put it on his motorcycle. Works great.

I highly recommend Garmin. Also agree, get the lifetime map updates because the North American map costs $49.99!

o

If you are wanting the voice activated one - make sure you look for that. They do not all do that. Those models are more $$$, but if that is important to you - then search for that also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here