SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningglovequilter

Another old Obituary...

MiMi
11 years ago

Here is another obituary. I copied it from the history book I wrote about my Pattison lineage. The first paragraph is what I wrote, the rest is the actual obituary.

Every time I find a newspaper article or obituary about a "Pattison" I am always amazed at what was written about them. I have yet to find one single article that says anything other then what find upstanding people they were, of noble, kind, loving and giving character. Admired by their family, friends, aquaintances and community and what they contributed during their lifetime for the good of their community. Such as the last few words of the Obituary below: "Yesterday we walked and talked with him. Today we miss his pleasant ways, we long in vain to hear the ring of his magical and joyial laughter, and to feel again his genial presence. While he has gone from the scenes, the conflicts, the sorrows, the pleasure of life, he will still live in the hearts of those who knew him best. A good life was lived and a noble example given." He walked at all times in the straight and narrow path. He was a fine friend, patient and self sacrificing. His devotion to those he loved would make a bright chapter in the life of anyone.

October 17, 1917
Glenwood Springs, Colorado

James L. Pattison Passes Over After Long Illness

After several long months of suffering with rheumatism, neuritis, accompanied by a tumerous growth on the spinal cord. James L. Pattison died at the Glenwood sanitarium last Wednesday afternoon at 3:30.

The funeral occurred Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the Odd Fellows Hall, Father Carrigan of Glenwood conducting the services in keeping with the Catholic Faith.

The remains were intered at Hilldcrest Cemetery, military honors being paid the deceassed at which time Colonel William G. Bolton officiated.

The beautiful casket, almost conceled by great floral wreaths and bouquets, was borne from the funeral car to the last eteral abiding place by army veterans. The deceased is survived by a wife, two sons, four daughters, three brothers, a large number of distant relatives and an unestimable number of warm friends. The loss is a great one to all.

James L. Pattison, now no more was born in Monroe, Iowa on the 12th day of July 1845 and passed over the river at Glenwood Springs on the 17th day of October 1917, age 72 years, 3 months and 5 days.

When yet a young man he took up blacksmithing, which trade and profession he followed while his physical condition would permit. At the outbreak of the Civil War he enlisted in the 9th Iowa Calvary and fought through many of the more important battles, including among which was that of Gettysburg. He was given a honorable discharge, carring many badges of honor, valor and bravery at the conclusion of the great conflict. It was Mr. Pattison's regiment which drove the "invincible" Price from Kansas and Missouri after his ravages.

Deceased also served four years in government survey work in locating the bounty lines in the early days between Colorado and Utah and Wyoming and Idaho. It was then that the Indians were hard to supress and four different times was Mr. Pattison wounded in pitched battles with the red men.

After his service in the government employ, he removed to Sidney Nebraska, residing there for 17 years. From there he went to Cloverdale Kansas. He also resided at Leeds Kansas and Sedan Kansas serving on the police force in the latter place for a number of years.

On December 18, 1876 at Freemont Nebraska James L. Pattson and Miss Mary Uranic, of Vienna, Austria, Hungary were married. To the union eight children were born, two of whom passed away when yet infants. Six however, four daughters and two sons, survive to console the poor mother in her grief. They are Ed Pattison, a sergeant in the Company M., Colorado Calvary stationed at Camp Kearney, Cal: Roy D. of Carbondale: Miss Theresa V. of Carbondale: Mrs. Melville Wright of San Francisco: Mrs. Earl Webb of Beaumont, Cal.: Mrs. M. H. Staget of Urion City, Pa: Three brother, Hugh of Carbondale, D. A. of Craig. Colorady: William of Des moines, Iowa also survive.

Mr. Pattison was a kind and indulgent father, a loving and affectionate husband and a good provider. He walked at all times in the straight and narrow path. He was a fine friend, patient and self sacrificing. His devotion to those he loved would make a bright chapter in the life of anyone.

Uncle Jim, as he was familiarly known to many of us, always had a kindly smile and a friendly greeting for those he met along life's pathway and during his four and a half years residence in Carbondale has gathered around him a wide circle of close and admiring friends.

Yesterday we walked and talked with him. Today we miss his pleasant ways, we long in vain to hear the ring of his musical and joyial laughter and to feel again his genial presence.

In the death of Uncle Jim we all fully and keenly realize the loss and thoroughly sympathize with those dear to him. While he has gone from the scenes, the conflicts, the sorrows,the pleasures of life, he will still live in the hearts of those who knew him best.

A good life was lived and a noble example given.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!