Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cornbread or roll????

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 11:20

That's the question asked in my area when going thru the cafeteria line or having a meat and 2 in a restaurant.

Being as my main meal is eaten out, I know where to eat when I am in the mood for certain food, as well as their quality of bread.

Not a big bread eater, but I know who has good cornbread :o)

So cornbread for me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cornbread or roll????

Cornbread for me, too.
Don't want the sweet kind, though!

o

Hounds--have you tried making Glenda's Irondale cornbread? If you like cornbread w/o sugar, this is the one for you! It's delicious!!

Which bread--corn or roll--depends on what I'm eating. Most of the time I'd choose a yeast roll, but beans, chili, greens or most soups, I'd prefer corn bread.

o

Yeast roll for me. Not too many places up this way serve cornbread, Cracker Barrel does but we don't care for it too much, so we get the biscuits with butter and apple butter.

Sue

o

neither for me. but if you forced it on my, I'd say cornbread because I don't eat it much!

o

I'm not a big bread eater, but I'd rather have cornbread.

o

Places I eat mostly are locally owned, so their cornbread is from scratch and not a mix.

I don't care for Cracker Barrels, either, Sue, and quit going there couple years ago.

Mostly cornbread muffins are served around here, but Irondale Cafe has the best cornbread and served in huge warm squares.

patti 43 has been making that cornbread for a while and has testified how great it is.

o

Depends on the kind of roll and the cornbread. In other words, I like them both and it would be a difficult decision. Ah, such big problems in life.

o

Neither for me, I do not eat bread that much except maybe breakfast and lunch once in awhile~

o

Since I like both it would depend on what the rest of the meal is comprised of.

o

Pinto beans or bowl of butterbeans, turnip greens and cornbread calls for cornbread for me :o)

One place serves wonderful yeast rolls, their specialty and not so hot cornbread muffins. Generally I skip both but will get a yeast roll if I crave a roll. Not often.

o

Neither, but if I have to choose - roll.
Cornbread had no appeal to me.

o

I like Jalapeno cornbread with butter and either apple jelly or marmlade. --warm---
Not too much for rolls -unless they are fresh and sourdough

o

Had chicken pot pie for lunch and skipped the bread cause I had crust in my pot pie.

o

If they are throwed rolls, I will have rolls! Yum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Throwed rolls

o

I like both, but not at the same time. Cornbread or a corn muffin hot with butter and jelly is a real treat. Then again, Mom made great Parker House Rolls from scratch.

o

Depends on what else I'm having, but if not cornbread I prefer Italian or French bread. Bread is just about my most favorite food. We are loosely following the mediterranean way of eating so except for whole grain bread it's not included. Hard to do but I've lost 12 to 15 lbs. Never thought i could do without it.Course I would never have thought I could give up cigarettes either but it's been 40 years there.

o

I go for my favorite which is hoe cake with homemade vegetable soup.

o

I only eat cornbread when I make stuffing. I use Pioneer Woman's recipe, which is the best I have ever had.

o

I had never eaten a yeast roll in my life until one day about 5 months ago I was famished while doing errands and shopping so I stopped in at a Bob Evans. I had a choice between a yeast roll and a muffin, and I asked the waitress which one she'd pick.
I'm glad I followed her advice! It was yummy! I still like cornbread, too, tho -- a chili place near me puts in a piece with my to-go order.

But I recently bought a "southern style" cornbread from Harris Teeter grocery store, and I thought it was blah. My tastebuds are still "off" (lingering cold/cough), but I guess "Southern" means "sugar" (as in "sweet tea"!). It didn't taste ultra-sweet, tho.

o

Hmmm. Can I have both?

Dances - the carb queen!

o

I think the southern cornbread does not have sugar in it, like some of us up north like :)

Sue

o

ohhh now you're making me think cornbread and beans for dinner! it's cold and going to be snowy so thanks for dinner!

we're fans of jiffy and it's on the sweeter side...marilyn think you're right.. southern cornbread does seem less sweet...

i haven't done it for years, but made up a recipe of jiffy and bisquick, and rolled out a dough. cut into rounds and baked....it was a little less sweet that way... too bad i don't "bake" anymore, lol....

o

When they bring the bread tray at a restaurant, I have to restrain myself. I learned long ago I can eat bread, have a cocktail or have dessert, but not more than one thing. I fill up too fast. Besides, I'm trying to lose weight now, doctors orders!

o

I can vouch for this recipe as it's from the Irondale/Whistlestop Cafe which I frequent.

As well as patti 43 who make this.

Irondale Cafe cornbread
Irondale Cafe Cornbread

1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
2 ½ teaspoons vegetable oil
2 ½ teaspoons melted butter
2 beaten eggs
1 ½ cups fat free cultured buttermilk
1 ½ cups whole milk
1 ½ cups self- rising white cornmeal
1 ½ cups self- rising White Lily flour
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Let batter rest under refrigeration for 1-2 hours.
Pour batter into a well buttered 9×13 pan.
Bake at 350 degree in convection oven for 17 to 20 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
Brush top liberally with melted butter.
Can also bake in a pre-heated, cast iron skillet for a dark and crunchy bottom crust.

o

Love cornbread! When it's good :-)

I knew a woman once who said her mother had commented (about eating cornbread), "We were poor but we weren't THAT poor!"

LOL! I can't imagine only wanting cornbread if you were so poor it was the only thing you could put on the table!

My husband says that as a kid he ate a lot of oatmeal because it was cheap. We ate a lot of home canned stuff and home raised beef, pork, and chicken (so I guess eating cheap on the farm was a lot different than eating cheap elsewhere).

Still love cornbread :-)

o

I don't have to have bread with a meal and usually pass in favor of using those calories toward a dessert maybe, lol! I do like Italian bread and garlic breadsticks (in moderation, otherwise I get too full) while waiting for the main course, and sometimes sweet cornbread is good with certain dishes. I have fond memories of my Mom and her cornbread which was traditional southern without sugar. I didn't eat it then but would now for nostalgia's sake!

o

I'm not a big cornbread fan unless it's one of the sweet ones (especially Marie Callendar's, which I think of more as "cake", LOL). So, it's a roll for me, although usually I will sub an extra veggie for the bread.

The exception was when I was in gradeschool and we had cornbread sticks. I loved them. They were a little on the salty side.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here