Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are you a Computer Systems Analyst?

Posted by MizAnnThrope (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 9:51

If so, will you share a bit about your job? I'm thinking of switching to this as a new career in my late 40s.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are you a Computer Systems Analyst?

Do you have a degree in computer science?

Here is a link that might be useful: job description

o

I'm a computer programmer and I don't have a degree in Computer Science. There are ways to enter the IT field without a degree in Computer Science.

o

I am a systems engineer and I don't have a degree at all. What I possess that makes me successful is general business knowledge and logical thinking.

The one thing I will warn you about computer/systems analyst positions is this - they can be offshored. You need to find a very smal market to start into the field and then work from there.

I fell into this job after many years in HR but it was a natural progression for me.

o

I was also a programmer without a college degree, but that
was eons ago. I took a test and was sent to IBM training by my
employer. There are many new and past college
grads out there with IT degrees who can't find a job even at
an entry level. You just don't walk in the door and learn
how to be a systems analyst in 6 months. It's a very high
level position.

o

IBM hired "me" right out of college...a 2 yr degree in Computer Information Technology and it was because of "WHO" I knew...not what I knew that I got hired. I should mention that they had a plant shut town, typical in the high tech industry before I got that far up the ladder....

(I was working @ Sears putting myself through college and a girl in housewares, night crew, was always bored, so on my breaks I'd stop by and chat. She went back to college & took a postion as a secretary for the lady that was doing the hiring for the IBM position, saw my name come up as an applicant....and they together...got me hired without an interview)

o

Maybe this will help....
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-systems-analysts.htm

But that's in the USA, and I think the OP is not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Computer Systems Analyst

o

Have you experience with a variety of operating systems?
Know a programming or scripting language?
A variety of server operating systems?
Database programs?

If the extent of your experience is just using a PC, you need some formal education.

o

I think you posted earlier asking about jobs and am curious why you picked this job without any training. What college do you have and what have you been doing. That might help the people here to help you out further. Hard to recommend something with out knowing a person's background especially since you mentioned there might be a age problem. Just curious. Remember there are many people in their 20-30 age bracket you could be competing against. I have a friend in his mid 30's who designs software, no college, and out of work for almost 2 years.

o

Paula, please elaborate on "There are ways to enter the IT field without a degree in Computer Science."

LuAnn, I have looked at that exact link, recommended on another thread. Why do you think I'm not in U.S?

Obviously, in switching careers, I'm aware that I'll need additional education/training.

o

You can enter the IT field by getting real OJT experience at a small company where you are able to "pick up" skills and develop a track record of proving your ability to analyze business processes and develop ways of improving the flow of business properties.

I was a Systems Analyst for years and also taught systems and data base courses for major IT companies. I never got a degree, but in the early years, I took evening courses at colleges and tech schools.

I started out in the mid 60's as a keypunch operator, and was fortunate to be in small workplaces where I learned operations, and was eager to learn additional skills and take on extra work.

Easy to do at 18. I was in my early 30's before I became a programmer, then analyst, and was then hired by a computer company to work with customers

In my beginning database design and programming classes, I had a "loosening up" and private analysis of students to test their ability to design a simple process. It broke the ice, because the task was simply to write down the exact movements of a robot to walk up to the front of the classroom, sit down in a chair facing the class, and then walk back to their seat.
The written instructions were then passed on to another student, and a 3rd was told to follow those instructions exactly.
A lot of laughter and bumping into walls, etc. as people realized that an automated process needs very specific instructions.

Good planing skills are a must.

o

I have a friend working as a mid level computer systems analyst who had no prior training in computers at all. She has a degree in physiology, wanted to be a physical therapist, from Purdue. She left the start of grad school & moved w her new DH to CO and started working for State Farm as an adjuster. She moved her way up a management ladder, moved back to Indy for State Farm and then was sent back to CO but they wanted to move back home. Her DH took a job w a diff major insurance co in Indy (he is a project manager) , she initially got a lower level job at the same company then decided to apply for systems analyst at the recommendation of a co-worker in that dept. They hired her immediately because she was trainable and is VERY detail oriented. She has worked there for 7+ yrs now. LOVES her job most days LOL ~ liz

o

"LuAnn, I have looked at that exact link, recommended on another thread. Why do you think I'm not in U.S? "

MsAnnThrope, on city-data, lives in Australia. I thought you were one in the same.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here