SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittiemom

Cell Phones in Meetings

kittiemom
10 years ago

Let me start by saying that I'm a huge fan of smart phones. Mine helps me stay organized with various apps.

Some people do have a need to carry their phones into meetings due to the nature of their job. My husband, for instance, works in IT and needs to be able to respond to emergencies. I work in healthcare and many of the people I work with need to have their phone with them in meetings to respond to patient care issues.

I've noticed that it's become common for all the employees (those who don't use them for company purposes) to carry their personal cell phones into meetings or training sessions. I find this rude unless you know that you're waiting on a very important personal call. I would never take my phone into a meeting with my supervisor (or anyone) and answer it unless it was an extreme situation and then I'd explain it to her up front. I don't even take calls myself (either on my cell or my desk phone) during meetings in my office unless the caller ID displays and it is a business caller that I really need to speak to. The only other exception I'd make in my own office is if I got a call from my dad's assisted living facility.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm very "plugged in" and depend on my phone for a lot of things, but even I don't carry it into meetings unless I'm expecting an important call. Does anyone else find this inconsiderate?

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!