SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

How much for wedding gift?

party_music50
10 years ago

I am suddenly faced with several notices of upcoming wedding invitations and am wondering what most people give as a gift -- either in the form of cash, or what they spend on an actual gift.

In the last few years, I've been invited to weddings/receptions that were all over the spectrum..... one was very small and low-key, just punch, a few snacks (I think? I didn't get any!), and mini cheesecakes for dessert.... another was large and over-the-top with an expensive venue, expensive catered dinner, open bar, and everything all the way down to a 'candy bar'.

When it comes to a wedding for a niece/nephew, I'm afraid I'm being TOO generous. With 2nd cousins or work acquaintances, I'm not sure what to give.

I've heard two theories:
1. you should give more than enough to cover their costs for your dinner (how would I know what they paid?! and how does that work when you're served only punch and a cheesecake?)
2. you should give as much as you can (that's stupid!!! I can cash in my 401K and give it to them, but why would I?!?!?!)

Any thoughts or advice?

Comments (30)