SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Need help - problems with Amish Bread from Starter recipe

joyfulguy
16 years ago

The Amish bread from starter recipe was on here a while ago, wasn't it?

Iva Mae offered me not only a bag of starter ... but some of the made-up bread (more like semi-cake, it seems to me) with coffee, when I visited her house to pick up the starter.

My first batch turned out O.K. - but slightly burned.

However, after mushing the mix (and evacuating built-up vapour/gas) daily - part way down the week-long road, one must add 1 cup each of milk, flour and sugar.

On the baking day, first one turns the mix into a non-metallic mixing bowl, then adds 1-1/2 cups each of sugar, milk and flour and mixes it well.

Then put one cup of the batter into each of 4 - 1 gallon Ziploc bags.

Give three away to friends, keeping one to make your own bread next week.

My problem: I was only able to find one home for the four bags that I made up, so I have three bags that I've been working on for the past week.

As things stood, if I had split each bag into four ... I was to have had a dozen bags of bread-making mix yesterday, which I didn't do.

Can someone tell me how to make two of the three bags that I have into bread, now? That means that I will have four cups of mix in the bowl more than I would have to make the recipe in the regular fashion.

Also, how can I leave out and/or alter the materials that I add to the mix that I make up to make it turn out more like regular bread?

Start the oven, prepare 2 lg. loaf pans, and add 3 eggs, 1 cup canola oil, 1/2 cup milk, 1 cup sugar, 2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. vanilla, 1-1/2 tsp B.P., 1/2 tsp B.S., 1/2 tsp salt (optional), 2 cups flour and 1 lg. box instant pudding to the mixing bowl.

This makes a bread that's rather like banana bread, sort of semi-cake.

Or is it possible to alter it to make it more like regular bread?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, folks.

ole joyful

Comments (7)