Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wow...it is changed here!

Posted by hellion (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 5:16

Does the forum look different to you? Not sure if I like it or not! The "wallpaper" is pretty at the top, but just while on the sides. Anyway that is what I am seeing. You?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wow...it is changed here!

I like the new font and think it is a cleaner look.

o

I'm not good with change - it will take some getting used to.

o

It's hard on my eye's. I don't like it.

o

I like the looks ok, but I think it slows down the loading of the pages a little.

o

I don't like the white sides; why can't they make the page wider? Oh well, I'll get used to it; I'm not one for change.

o

I'm not one for change either--if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I enjoyed having the headings change colors when I had read that thread.
Now everything is just black and the headings are not bold or in larger script than the body of the thread. Blah!

o

This is horrible. Too much real estate wasted, and what is up with everything being center-justified? Nope - not for me.

o

it's certainly different.

o

I don't like it, too WHITE very hard to read. Put some colour back please. Also now on the front page you can't tell which posts you have read because they are all in BLACK.

o

I don't like the smaller page. I like using as much of the screen as possible for the written word.

Too much fluff at the top before we get to the comments.

o

Yes and where are the cute sayings that we used to have at the top?

o

Agree with all the posters here. Way too white and hard on the eyes.

Like sweet Betsy said, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

o

I don't like it. Hard on the eyes

o

I also don't like the black print. Also the headings of each post don't stand out. Nothing about it is attention-getting.

o

Not crazy about it either--but I'm sure we'll all get used to it eventually.

o

I like it, it's a new updated version, looks good to me. Change is good.

o

That orange colour on the headings is way to bland. As another poster said if it ain't broke don't fix it.

What is the reasoning for the change anyway?????

o

Apparently those that use IE, the posts that are read, don't change colour.

With chrome, they turn to red. I much prefer the blue print of old.

o

I really don't like it at all.....all that white is just too much. This is not inviting at all. Did I say how I did not like it???

o

Ditto all the above . . . except maybe Marita's. :-)

It's like Facebook with all their "improvements." Heck, it's like most of our American product manufacturers, always sinking money into new packaging (!!), exciting name changes (!!), thrilling new flavors (!!!)--and of course we, the consumers, end up paying for these, along with the new advertising.

I think most of us appreciate a certain amount of routine and consistency.

o
RE: Wow...it is changed here!.......

..and I hate the center justification. Why is that a good thing??

o

My biggest complaint is the size of the print. It was hard on the eyes even with reading glasses on. I've made it larger on my computer and it's much better.

o

Such a surprise - it has been the same for a lot of years.

We will all adjust, I'm sure of that. Sometimes change is good. Not easy, but it never hurts to move onward and upward!

Here is GW message about it:

Here is a link that might be useful: Exciting Update .....

o

I wonder if it is a fixed thing or might go back to before have to check out some of the other forums

o

there is a note about the change on the top of the page

o

I think this is a permanent change, Minnie.

o

Why do they have to change a perfectly good thing? It's awful. The font is tiny now too. Can I change that on my computer?

o

It was a shock to me, I had to do some checking to see if the site was messing up or what. I'm not good with change either. It looks ok right now, just hope I can get used to it. Its not as "homey" as before.

o

The more I've read the harder all this white is on my eyes. Is anyone else having this problem too?

o

It's weird, too white but I think it is easier to read. I never had a problem reading it before. It feels like I have to do a lot of scrolling to read the entire thread because the font is so big. Oh well, nothing stays the same forever and I will get used to it -- I think.

o

I'm not liking the font change or all the space around the text (right and left) either.

o

Dedtired, the font was small, so I enlarged it. If it's too big for you, try using the Ctrl and - sign to shrink it. Ctrl and + sign enlarges the text.

I just find the whole thing too stark and bright. Homey, it's not.

o

Well, I l0ve it! N0 m0re distracting ads 0n the right side. Als0 l0ve the new wallpaper at the t0p. L00ks like a garden, at least t0 me.

Great j0b, Garden Web!!

o

Very hard on the eyes. In fact, literally and seriously painful. My eyes, my eyes!

o

One good thing I did notice about this new format.......the recipe thread no longer has those wierd characters showing up all over our recipes. Yay!

o

I was on another forum last night which actually changed before my very eyes. I switched to KT and it was like before but now I see it's black and white and stark. Do not like it. I agree with everything every one said. The subject doesn't change color when you've already read the thread, and the white is very hard on the eyes. I can't get the reason for the change.

o

I use IE and my topics always changed color!
I don't like this! It is just too hard to read!

o
RE: Wow...it is changed here!!

Now after that post of mine, going back to the main page
the color for this topic has changed to purple.

o

I sent an email asking for the left justified be reinstated and they have done so much better now

o

First ,Jasdip, thanks for telling me how to make it larger. I also am not so sure about this change, it is hard on my eyes also. Maybe I will just have to spend less time on GW . I think if the sides were other than white it might be better.

o

I'm not crazy about it either.

o

Add me to the list that does not like it. Too stark. I'll have to get the sunglasses to read here.

o

Did you see that the headings are now blue? That's a good move.

o

I have a 25" monitor for a reason because I am vision impaired this new format is almost impossible for me to read, the tiny font the smashed into the middle of the screen page, the stark colors, it is just all in all a bad deal for anyone with a vision problem.
I realize I can use the + and - to change the page size but that should not be necessary on a well formatted website period.
Cute is nice but not at the expense of those with visual problems.
I have used my + to the max and still hate it.

What a waste of my nice 25" viewable monitor, I was using every bit of it on the previous version.

If you all will click on that link
Exciting Update .....

they ask for your comments please let them know what you like and don't like. For those with vision problems especially.

o

If we remember right, the 0nly thing 0n the right 0f the p0sts was advertising--that's all that's missing and I f0r 0ne d0n't miss it. I'm sure it'll be back s00n.

o

If we remember right, the 0nly thing 0n the right 0f the p0sts was advertising--that's all that's missing and I f0r 0ne d0n't miss it. I'm sure it'll be back s00n.

o

Thank you jasdip, the print was hard to read, so did what you suggested --ctrl-(shift ) + and it increased. This white does bother my eyes a bit also. but other that that, not bad. Maybe later will add seasonal decorations

o

Well I went to the link Raven posted above and it will not let you post comments. Also clicked on the highligted comments word, and it led to an e-mail to myself. I guess they don't really want our comments.

o

walnutcreek did you click on where it said give your comments at the end of the post? I was able to make a comment, had to enter the subject in the box and select from a drop down menu category, and at the end I had to fill in the code, but after all that it did take my message.

I was dreading how this would look on my tablets, which they really need to consider since so many people access the sites from tablets and phones and those browsers are different. Well what I am seeing is all the responses are not the same size font, some are really small, some are normal, and some are larger. I don't know why they would be different, so some are hard to read.
But thankfully the page size has remained the same it didn't shrink as it did with the PC.
I am currently using Firefox on Android, I have not tried the other browsers.

o

I really like it; but the bright white background is hard on the eyes. I never see any ads using firefox.

o

PPsss-s-s-s-t-t!!

Anybody wanna buy some ...

(... grass)?

o j

o

I like everything except the bright white background, which is hard on the eyes..

o

Some kind of soft, pastel, cream coloured background would be nice. As the others, my eyes hurt in a short period of reading.

o

This is not a perfect solution but you can do this whenever you visit the sites you want to change the background.

In Firefox, go to Tools > Options > Content and click on Colors button.

Select grey for the "Background", and clear the checkboxes near "Allow pages to choose their own colours, instead of my selections above" and "Use system colours". Click ok

other browsers may have a similar setting.

There are also several add ons for firefox that allow changes to colors Stylish is one,
Stylish 1.3.1
and
Color That Site! 0.15

oh No Squint also allows you to change background color per site and also increase font size and colors.
NoSquint: Firefox Extension

I have my background set as a very light gray not sure about that change yet.

This post was edited by ravencajun on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 20:24

o

They obviously have no understanding of their demographic. KT is predominently female, 45 and older. Some of us have been here for 10+ years. We don't take change well and see no reason to mess with something that has been working successfully for well over 10 years.

Taking down the size of the font and using so much of a light blue is an error in judgement. Making it more difficult to read will make it less appealing to hang around.

Uh, did I mention, I really don't like the new look at all.

o

I find the bright white even more annoying in the evening and I have a lot more trouble with the contrast between the blue type and the white background. This is not a site for older eyes -- or sore eyes!

o

It was great the way it originally was. I don't care for the new look.

o

I like the new look.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here