SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tubless

What are you reading?

Georgysmom
11 years ago

Just finished a good book. The Fault in our Stars by John Green. If anyone ever told me I would enjoy a book about teenagers with cancer, I would have thought them crazy. I was going to wait until my book club met to see what others thought before recommending it but decided to be brave and go with just my opinion. I think it's an exceptional book. What are you reading?

Comments (45)

• YogaLady1948
    11 years ago

The Four Agreements~~~A Toltec Wisdom Book

The Agreements are:

Be impeccable with your word
    Don't take anything personally
    Don't make assumptions
    Always do your best

• YogaLady1948
    11 years ago

The last novel I read was last month~The Witch's Daughter~
    by Paula Brackston. It was so good I could not put it down!

• Related Discussions

October ....what are you reading ?

Q

Comments (0)
    I'm enjoying The Mitford Affair by Marie Bennett, historical fiction relating the involvement the Mitford sisters had with HItler prior to WWII. It's an engaging tale.
    ...See More

What are you reading? November 2023 Edition

Q

Comments (57)
    A while ago my book club read Leave the World Behind, by Rumaan Alam. We all enjoyed it and had a great discussion about it. Someone noticed that it's been made into a movie for Netflix, so we are going to have a viewing party to watch. Staring Julia Roberts and Ethan Hawke. If you are at all interested in the movie, I would suggest reading the book first - just because it's one that I think using your own imagination would be better before the visuals are put in place for you by the movie. I'm quite interested in how they depict some of the elements of the book. It's "light" dystopian/thriller- I am not a fan of dystopian usually (tho I did like the Hunger Games) but did really like this book.
    ...See More

November : What are you reading by the fire ( or the fan !) ?

Q

Comments (75)
    Ginny, that sounds like a lovely combination. I have altered garments myself in the past but my mind boggled on how this was done as Precious tore the seam badly so I imagined the skirt was tight with little to work on, and more would be needed for lengthening to make a blouse from the top part of the dress! However, if we can imagine talking shoes, I suppose we can imagine material from a tight dress that suddenly becomes plentiful!
    ...See More

What are you reading? December 2023 Edition

Q

Comments (68)
    I just finished The River We Remember by William Kent Krueger. 4 grateful stars. I've been in the doldrums reading-wise since the spring. I've only finished a couple of books in that time. I've started many, and, like food that has a bad taste or no taste, I put them down, unable to read on. Maybe this book has ended the drought. I have loved many of Krueger's books before this one, and it was just the ticket for me, a good story, great characters, letting the story tell itself without fussing over it. Flawed people who find some redemption along the way.
    ...See More
  • liz
    11 years ago

The latest "Jack Reacher" book by Lee Child..."A Wanted Man"

• sheilajoyce_gw
    11 years ago

A book I have been meaning to read for years.

The Devil and the White City: Murder, Magic and Madness at the Fair that Changed America.

Non fiction book about the 1893 Chicago World's Fair and the city.

• alisande
    11 years ago

On my Kindle, When We Were the Kennedys, a memoir about a family in Maine after the father dies, and at my bedside, Treachery in Death, from the J.D. Robb series.

• joann23456
    11 years ago

I finished "The Brothers Karamozov" a couple days ago. I've read most of the Russian greats, but never this one, and I just loved it. Amazing book.

Now, I'm reading "Sherlock Holmes." I've been watching the BBC version and the new version on CBS (I think), and thought I'd read the original.

• azzalea
    11 years ago

Just finished Black Oil/Red Blood. It was a Free Kindle book.

An absolute page turner. It was one of those books that kept you guessing from start to finish. Great plot, very unexpected twists and turns. Definitely the best free book I've read.

• wanda_va
    11 years ago

"The Program"--the second of four in the Tim Rackley series by Gregg Hurwitz. After I finish that series, I will start on the latest series by Jeffrey Archer (one of my favorites): "Sins of the Father" and "Only Time Will Tell". They are already on my nightstand, waiting their turn.

• jel48
    11 years ago

Currently enjoying Ruby, by Lauraine Snelling. The story of a very nice young woman who takes her little sister west to Dakota territory when summoned by her dying father, only to find she's inherited 'Dove house', where 'Dove' refers to those of the fallen Dove variety!

• YogaLady1948
    11 years ago

Liz, I only 'just' realized that Jack Reacher was a series of books by Lee Child~~~I am going to try them. Do I need to read them in order for it all to make sense??

• SunnyDJ
    11 years ago

Just read 2 excellent books....John Grisham's "The Racketeer" and David Baldacci's, "The Forgotten".....Now, I'm reading, "The Associate" by Grisham......

• maxmom96
    11 years ago

I'm reading The Great Conductors by Harold Schonberg, written in the mid 60's by the long time music critic of the New York Times.

Sheilajoyce, The Devil in White City is an excellent read, as are all the others of Eric Larson's.

• YogaLady1948
    11 years ago

Sunny, I got the 'The Racketeer' for Christmas waiting to go on one of my solo vacas and stay in a hotel and read it for 2 days;)

Azzalea as soon as I saw FREE I ran to the Kinlde store and got that book;)

Joann I am so in love with the guy that plays Sherlock on CBS;)

• Country Sunflower
    11 years ago

I am currently reading "Safe Haven " by Nicholas Sparks... and will start another of his books as soon as I finish this one.. I love his books..

Carolyn

• donna_loomis
    11 years ago

Liz, DH and I just finished listening to the Reacher series. The author insists that they can be listened to in any order, but we decided to listen to them in order. Didn't matter. In the first book, Reacher's brother is deceased, but in a later book he is alive. I wish they had been ordered better, but we still enjoyed all of them.

I am reading "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness and really enjoying it.

My lunchtime book at work right now is "Dark Places" by Gillian Flynn, and I am really liking it, too.

• wanda_va
    11 years ago

Donna, if I remember correctly, the one in which Reacher's brother was alive was a "flashback" to an earlier time.

It really doesn't matter whether you read them in order, but I did, just to be sure I didn't miss anything. I loved the series (some were better than others), and can't wait to read the final one.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

I ruefully finished Garlic and Sapphires, such a delightful treat to "eat" everyday. I'm onto The Aloha Quilt. I haven't read the Elm Creek series, it's just that I've been missing the Islands. Also delightful day jaunt.

Here is a link that might be useful: by Jennifer Chiaverini

• sleeperblues
    11 years ago

Following Atticus, by Tom Ryan. It's the story of a man's relationship with a miniature schnauzer dog and their mountain climbing in the White Mountains. They are on a quest to climb the 48 4000 footers. But the fascinating thing to me is relationship between man and dog. It's a really good book, which I am savoring.

• jewels_ks
    11 years ago

I am reading The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers. This is a very good book about two young men that fought in Iraq.

• hoovergal
    11 years ago

The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent. This book is about the Salem witch trials and since my huband is a descendant of Martha Carrier I felt led to read it.

• bengardening
    11 years ago

I just finished the book A Log Cabin was Home by T.J. Riggs. The author was a missionary by Pierre SD. The book was very interesting to me because I never grew up around here. Some of the places are near here and I recoginized some of the names in the book. The high school in Pierre was named after him and the guy who the football field was named after is mentioned in the book. Fort Sully was about 30 miles west of here and they went there a few times too.
    I am reading a book called Papa's Wife. I am enjoying it too.

• joan_mn
    11 years ago

I am also working on the Reacher books, and a few John Sandford books I haven't read yet.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

On my Kindle, I'm reading The Great Bridge by David McCullough. It's about the building of the Brooklyn Bridge. It's very interesting and like all of his books, beautifully written.

I'm also re-reading The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan. It's subtitled "a plant's-eye view of the world ". I love this book on many levels...as a professional horticulturist, as an educator, and as someone who deeply appreciates beautiful writing.

• mary52zn8tx
    11 years ago

I have been reading the Longmire series by Craig Johnson. I have one more to finish. I enjoyed the series and look forward to the new book in the spring.

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

The Devil and the White City... was indeed a great read and one of my favorite books ever.

Currently reading:

Perla by Carolina De Robertis.
    Perla is about a college-aged girl whose father, a Navy Officer, was on the wrong side of the heinous Argentina Dirty Wars of the 1970s and 80s). During those wars, many innocent people simply disappeared. Mothers and wives of "the disappeared" still march every Thursday afternoon at the Plaza de Mayo in Buenos Aires.

The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs
    Once a week, an eclectic group of women come together at a New York City yarn shop to work on their latest projects and share the stories of their lives.

Jodi-

This post was edited by jodi_in_so_calif on Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 13:51

• chisue
    11 years ago

I started Follett's "Fall of Giants" (Book One of The Century Trilogy) on the plane to Maui. Finished it. OK, not great, but a painless history refresher.

I found "Stalin's Ghost" (an Arkady Renko story) by Martin Cruz Smith in the condo. I'm wondering if Cruz Smith is still writing -- been a while.

That "Friday Night Knitting Club" sounds interesting, Jodi.

"The Aloha Quilt" sounds familiar, rob333. I've never found much *good* reading about Hawaii -- aside from "The Descendants" (book so much better than the movie, as usual).

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

Good? It's good "enough". Fabulous? Not so far. Maybe I should write one! It's a fantastic place, very different than the contiguous US. Very different. So many countries have occupied and populated it, it's an amazingly different amalgam from other places. Not even did I encounter such diverse Asian-American culture on the coast. And it was full of Asian heritage. I'm betting it's closest cousin is PR. The book is ok enough to get me by.

This post was edited by rob333 on Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 13:49

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

Chisue, have you read Moloka'i by Alan Brennert? About the leprosy colony on the island back in the 1800s. Excellent book about Hawai'i.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moloka'i on Amazon

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

I'm so pleased. Hawai'i. Do you also say it that way? No one ever seems to know it isn't HUH-why-ee. It's hu-wah-E. Nice to see it correctly written. That, there is misconception that not everyone goes around saying hang loose (and giving the two finger symbol, hand wave) or brudah. Mahalo jodi!

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

Mahalo right back atch Rob. Yes, that is generally how I say and spell Hawai'i because, well, it's the correct way after all.

I can remember when we were in HI a number of years ago with the kids, they learned a couple new words that of course they never forgot. There was a restaurant advertising Pipi and Pupu, (beef and snacks). Couldn't get the kids to stop saying it over and over again until we got back to Calif. LOL

• peoniesandposies
    11 years ago

French kids everything (And yours can, too)
    An excellent book. It's quite a commentary on our society and an interesting insight into the French society.

• chisue
    11 years ago

Nice to hear a greeting in the airports in native Hawaiian these days. (Followed by English.) I can only pick up a few words, but it just sounds so pretty!

We've been visiting Hawaii in winter for 30+ years. My father's youngest brother lived Kauai for about 10 years after his discharge at the end of WWII. They adopted twin boys and only moved back to the mainland when they couldn't afford private schools in Hawaii. (Public education here is still substandard.) My uncle's MIL would visit Lihue from Chicago at Christmas and bring me a lei, along with gifts from my cousins -- usually carefully chosen at Woolworth's. (Lihue was a little hick town then.) I remember a pair of bejeweled chopsticks. LOL

Pronunciation is a mish-mash here. Why-KI-ki; not WHY-ki-ki. Ha-VA-ee more than with a 'w'. Tourists insist on talking about Mt. Haleakala; the semi-dormant volcano on Maui is Hah-lay-AK-a-la (House of the god of the sun). The volcano blocks the rising sun from our BR courtyard until seven now.

• Kathsgrdn
    11 years ago

Inferno, The World at War 1939-1945 by Max Hastings.

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

I'm reading Wild goose chase,a freebie from kindle.It's about a quilt shop owner,and the death of a quilter by a rotary cutter.As you can tell it's a who-dunnit,very interesting,more so than i thought it would be.It's been on my kindle for awhile now.
    Kathi

• sushipup1
    11 years ago

Those of you who like the Jack Reacher stories by Lee Child should also check out Michael Connelly's books about an LAPD Detective named Harry Bosch and John Lescroart's cop/attorney books set in San Francisco.

I'm another who loved Devil in the White City. Just finished Ruth Rendell's Harm Done and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Started re-reading Pillars of the Earth so I can read the follow-up book (title I just forgot.)

Also recently finished Lynda LaPlante's Red Dahlia. Love her Anna Travis stories.

• alisande
    11 years ago

It really doesn't matter whether you read them in order, but I did, just to be sure I didn't miss anything. I loved the series (some were better than others), and can't wait to read the final one.

Wanda, is the Jack Reacher series finished? I hope not! I read not too long ago that Lee Child had been quoted as saying he would kill Reacher off when people stopped buying his books. Surely that hasn't happened.....

• sushipup1
    11 years ago

Oh, and all of you who love Hawai'i, check out the books by Chris McKinney. Not your typical beach-in-paradse stories. I'm pleased to say that the author is family, too.

• wanda_va
    11 years ago

alisande, I don't know whether it is the last one. I should have said the "most recent" rather than "final". Sorry.

• alisande
    11 years ago

WHEW!!

Thanks, Wanda. :-)

• eileen101
    11 years ago

I just started the newest book by Elin Hilderbrand. I love her stories!
    Eileen

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

thanks sushi! I'll try that.

• casey_nfld
    11 years ago

I just finished "Shoot the Moon" by Billie Letts. She wrote 2 others that I have read, "Where the Heart Is" and "Made in the USA". I enjoyed those 2 and this one.

Currently reading "The Tenderness of Wolves" by Stef Penney. It's set in the Canadian north in the 1860's. I'm enjoying it so far.

• chisue
    11 years ago

Sushipup -- Thanks for McKinney. I'll look for them.

I found an old (1986) P.D. James in the condo: "A Taste For Death". It's one of her Adam Dalgliesh mysteries. I enjoy her character studies. I'm interested in stories that explore character's motivations -- how people 'got that way'.

Still fighting the pneumonia. Lots of reading...

• foggyj
    11 years ago

For book club-

Where'd you go Bernadette?. by Maria Semple
    So far, so good.

• Lily316
    11 years ago

James Patterson's, Merry Christmas