SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

The Sixties - The British Invasion--tonight and tomorrow nig

I haven't seen it yet, but will catch it later tonight or else tomorrow night.

Anyone else watching it?

From the link below...The British Invasion begins with the breakthrough performance of The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show, which was watched by a record-setting 73 million viewers, blazing a culture-changing path through America fifty years ago next month. The Beatles' success was quickly followed by other British bands hoping to conquer the hearts of American teens. Those siren calls of The Animals, The Kinks, The Hollies, The Dave Clarke 5, The Who, and The Rolling Stones are all revisited in this paean to the power of the music that defined a generation -- and remain vital and relevant today.

Here is a link that might be useful: On CNN

Comments (18)

• Lindsey_CA
    10 years ago

Yes, Hubs and I watched it. We thought it was good. :-)

• Lily316
    10 years ago

Saw it ,loved it, and relived my beloved 60's...the greatest decade ever!

• monica_pa Grieves
    10 years ago

Brought back sooo many memories.
    It was a real transition decade, both in music, socially and politics.
    I entered the 60's as a freshman in HS, and left them as a married woman and working in a new, fast moving/changing industry (data processing).

• chisue
    10 years ago

Ack! Another 'gift' from the Baby Boomers! I am a few months pre-war and had already 'grown up' -- well, had married in '64 -- so I wasn't part of that scene. I LIKE The Beatles music, but it doesn't have the same memories of 'carefree youth' for me.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

We saw part of it last nite, and really enjoyed it. Hubby idolized Ringo, and he plays drums because of seeing him on Ed Sullivan.

We've seen Ringo and one of his All Star Bands and it was fantastic!

• Lily316
    10 years ago

Pictures in the early 60's showed me in short hair, a dress, and heels with a hat on for church. Pictures from the middle to the end of the decade showed me with torn jeans with patches, long hair down my back and a whole new attitude...lol

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

I am with Chisue. In the 60s, I finished my degree, taught, got married and moved around a lot. Paid no attention to the Beatles other than my students were crazy about them.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Darn, missed it because I had book club. Maybe it is on On Demand. That was definitely my generation. Strange how the first half of the decade was so very different from the second half. The first half really was The Wonder Years.

I still have a pair of hip hugger bell bottom Levis from the Sixties. Now I am well into my 60's.

It was a fabulous time.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It will be on 3 more times tonight. Scroll down at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: CNN Programs

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Finished watching it a while ago. I was 11 in 1964 and remember by baby-sitter going to see the Beatles when they came to town in August. She couldn't talk the next day because she had screamed so much at the concert. The Righteous Brothers also played.

I was never a Beatles fan but was more of Dave Clark 5, Hermans Hermits, The Animals and others. I didn't realize how much Blues music played a part in the so-called British Invasion music. I wish the show had been a little longer.

• Rudebekia
    10 years ago

lilly316, I have similar memories although I was quite young, not yet a teenager. I vividly remembering things changing dramatically in just a few year's time--from teased beehive hair and white gloves to the hippie look. I have a vivid memory of the music on tv ads changing to something more akin to rock and roll. The 60s were certainly my coming-of-age decade.

• Pieonear
    10 years ago

My Mom always said she envied me for getting to be a teen in the 60's. I am so glad I was able to experience that era.
    Right now I'm reading John Lennon: The Life. I downloaded it cheap somewhere. It tells about his parents before he was born and a lot of history that I've never heard about him and the family. I'm only about 1/3 through it, but it is worth reading if you are into that.

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

It's the same 60 minute program that's been broadcast 2 or 3 times a day, every day?

I scanned through a DVR version of the program, it wasn't to my liking. 10 second segments of songs is a bit too short for me.

You Tube has a pretty extensive collection of performances of the many great 60s music acts for anyone who's interested. The whole gamut, British Invasion groups and everything else.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Looks like I will have more than a few chances to see it. It isn't on until 11 pm tonight, so maybe another day.

• petaloid
    10 years ago

DirecTV here in the L.A. area has repeating showings today and tomorrow. The next one starts in about 20 minutes -- Thank you so much for the heads-up!

• chisue
    10 years ago

Admire you, Lily316!

I flew to NYC and on to London on our honeymoon in 1964, wearing a wool suit, fur hat, gloves, underwire bra, hose...and a girdle with those garter thingies to hold up the hose. WHAT were we THINKING! (I had a hatbox for the hat.)

• Lily316
    10 years ago

I remember those garter thingies. Haven't worn hose for decades nor a girdle. No matter how thin one was back in those days, you wore a girdle. Hat , gloves were essential for church, and my mother would only buy me dress clothes that met her approval as suitable for church.

My prissy father was embarrassed at his hippy daughter and once when I visited, he wouldn't sit with me in church in the late 60's because my mini skirt was too short.

• jannie
    10 years ago

I was born in 1952 (now don't start calculating my current age) so I was a big fan of all groups British. I first bought the Beatles Second Album and I have it to this day, tho I haven't listened to it in years. I actually saw the Beatles live in Toronto in 1965, can you believe my ticket (which I also still have) cost four dollars? It was a great time for me, sixth grade, made lots of friends in a new school, which was scary, but I managed to survive.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio