Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meatloaf without Ketchup?

Posted by teresava (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 6, 08 at 22:13

Do any of you have a GOOD recipe for meatloaf without using Ketchup? My weirdo DH HATES ketchup and won't touch any kind of food that might have ketchup in it. He will do other tomato stuff like barbeque (cousin to ketchup IMO), sauce or salsa.

So, 90% of the recipes I see on the net have ketchup in them. I want just a basic yummy one, not a spinach with mushroom etc.

TIA!
Teresa

P.S. anyone want to come make it too?? I've not been in a cooking mood lately! I think the morning sickness (now gone) ruined my cooking gene.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meatloaf without Ketchup?

I use a recipe from Paula Deen, it's really good, and easy.

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 onion, diced
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
3 tablespoons vinegar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup water, to thin sauce if necessary

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix together the beef, bread crumbs, onion, egg, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce. Form this mixture into a loaf and place it in a shallow pan. Stir together the remaining tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, mustard, Worcestershire and the water (if too thick). Pour this sauce over the meatloaf. Bake for 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes with the pan juices.

Note: I never add the water, it's thin enough as is. I also like to add a little grated cheese to the meatloaf.

o

My favorite meatloaf recipe can be made with or without ketchup:
Meatloaf

1.5-2 pounds of ground meat (beef, turkey or a combo)
1 cup oatmeal
2 eggs
1 envelope onion soup mix (or onion mushroom, or beefy mushroom or your choice)
1/2 cup water OR your choice of savory sauce - ketchup, BBQ sauce, A-1 sauce, soy sauce, mustard, teriyaki, etc.

Mix it all well. Put in loaf pan and bake at 350 F for 50-60 minutes.

NOTE: I really do not measure the liquid part - I just slosh whatever I have in, as much as I feel like. Sometimes I put A-1 on top to add a nice look and flavor. If I don't have packaged soup mix, I will chop some onions and celery fine and mix in.
TIP: Dump everything into a gallon ziplock bag and mush it together - a lot easier than trying to mix in a bowl and you don't get it all over your hands. Be careful though - if the bag comes open it could be all over your counter. LOL!

I never make this recipe exactly the same way twice - so it is always slightly different. ;-)

o

I never put ketchup in or on my meatloaf while cooking.

I put bread crumbs, eggs, shredded cheddar cheese,and any of the following that I happen to have...green peppers chopped finely, celery chopped fine, onions chopped fine,sometimes cut up tomatoes.

I also if I'm in the mood just make patties out of it and fry them. Good and much quicker.

Then if the "eater" so chooses they can add the ketchup.

patti

o

Barbecue can probably be used instead of ketchup.

Linda

o

Woodswell-I use the onion soup mix with roasts, so I bet it would be good in meatloaf! Esp the beefy one!

Steph-That sounds good!

Although technically it's the vinegar that DH says is the problem with ketchup, I can sneak it into the mixture. Besides, now he eats marinades with vinegars in them! A few he's mixed himself so he sees the ingredients, but he still hates ketchup! What can I say-he's a weirdo!!

I'm in such a cooking rut-I need to find some tried and true recipes to start adding into the dinner rotation!

o

I just use the basic meatloaf recipe,similar to Paula Deen's but I don't mix the ingredients called for to pour over the top.I usually don't make it into a loaf either.I press it into a square baking pan that will allow the meat mixture to be 3-4 inches thick,then I pour a small can of tomato sauce over the top,bake and cut it in squares to serve.I use barbecue sauce sometimes too.Like Patti I sometimes make thick patties,brown them on each side then pour tomato sauce over them,cover and cook them on top of the stove in the skillet I browned them in.Same meat loaf taste and you don't have to heat up the oven.You can do them this way with the french onion soup mix also.I have made meatloaf in the slow cooker too.Works great.
You can make the meat loaf mixture into large meat balls and cook them in any of the ways I have mentioned.

o

I have just made meatloaf with dry onion soup and baked it. No oatmeal, breadcrumbs eggs or anything, just the soup mix. (Sometimes my DH is a little odd on what he eats too)But, its better if I add ketchup! LOL

o

I've been known to sub the ketchup with jarred beef gravy or spaghetti sauce. My kids like it mixed and topped with spaghetti sauce and some mozzarella cheese hidden in the middle of the loaf. I'll use Italian bread crumbs instead of the plain ones when I do that.

Isn't the point of meatloaf to put in it whatever you like, or have?

o

I have never put anything in meatloaf besides meat, egg and onion, besides spices. And never added ketchup on or in it.

My family likes my meatloaf. :)

Moni

o

Teresa, the last time I made this recipe, I honestly don't remember adding vinegar. I must've forgot and I didnt notice it tasting any different.

o

my weirdo DH HATES ketchup and won't touch any kind of food that might have ketchup in it. He will do other tomato stuff like barbecue (cousin to ketchup IMO), sauce or salsa.
Hmmmm...he sounds like so many 'kids' I know who won't eat anything with onion in it...at least onion that they can see.
Things made with onion that has been liquefied in a food processor they never mention....so yes...DH is a wierdo, but could likely be fooled.
I make the one on the onion soup box, but see it calls for ketchup. Why not substitute some salsa instead or maybe spaghetti sauce? I might try that myself the next time.

Sue

o

Mom always made the oatmeal meatloaf recipe and to me it tastes odd any other way. And with all the claims for oatmeal, I can kid myself that it is helping to control the cholesterol that is in the meat, LOL!

DH claims that his mom made meatloaf with rice - but it doesn't work if I use raw rice like he says she does. Either I don't add enough water or DH is delusional. Somehow I don't really like meatloaf with breadcrumbs - I make meatballs with breadcrumbs and don't like my meatloaf to taste the same way.

I have made a veggie rich meatloaf with a couple of pounds of ground meat and lots of chopped veggies - carrots, onions, celery, potatoes. You have to add more eggs or it doesn't hold together very well. It tastes sort of like a stew in a weird sort of way. :-D

I guess it is all what you grow up with...

o

I don't use ketchup either.

I make mine with ground beef, seasoned Italian bread crumbs, egg, milk, onions, Wooster sauce, finely diced green or red pepper, a little salt and lots of pepper. I sometimes also add prepared horseradish. Halfway through cooking I glaze it ontop with whatever jam I have on hand, usually grape or raspberry.

I don't serve my meatloaf with a red sauce like some of my friends do.

Anne

o

I haven't read the other posts, so forgive me if this has already been posted.

Sub the ketchup with BBQ sauce. I actually had a recipe at one time that did this. My family loved it.

o

Don't blame him! Can't stand ketchup on my meatloaf either.

My Recipe since
Dora Lou

1-1/2 pounds extra lean hamburger meat
1 large onion, chopped
1 medium bell pepper, chopped
1-1/2 cups oatmeal
10 soda crackers, crushed
1 egg
2- tsps garlic & pepper blend
1- teaspoon salt

Mix all ingredients together and put in greased or sprayed loaf pan. Press down hard to pack it.

Topping:
1 can tomato sauce
cup brown sugar or 2 packets of splenda
teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 drops hot sauce

Mix all of the sauce together and put on top of hamburger mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. It will start to pull from edge of pan when done. Remove from heat and let cool some and then remove from pan.

This has always been one of our familys favorite. They all have the recipe at their homes now.

o

Woodswell for rice meatloaf you have to use instant rice or minute rice. Regular rice won't work

For a meatloaf with a bit more "kick" bottled chili sauce makes a good substitute for ketchup.

o

Teresa,

Try making it like you normally would using any recipe but use Heinz 57 instead of ketchup. Gives it quite a kick! I haven't done that in years, but my first DH liked meatloaf but not ketchup, so I made it that way. My recipe depends on what I have in the cabinet, but it's normally:

hamburger meat
an egg
crunched up cracker crumbs
milk
chopped onion
chopped green pepper
worcestershire
liquid smoke
ketchup
S/P

I smear ketchup on top and cook for an hour at about 375.

o

My mom always put tomato sauce on meat loaf and of course, meat loaf and gravy is a diner staple. I've tried recipes with bacon on top and recipes with condensed tomato soup in with the meat. There are plenty of ketchup-free options, even tomato-free. I think you could make a meat loaf just about any way you want it.

o

Main Man's adult kids like Pink Gravy over their meatloaf like their Grandmother use to make. Basically gravy with 1 tablespoon of ketchup.

My last meatloaf was the best I ever made, stuffed with spinach and recotta cheese.

Gayle

o

So take a regular recipe and replace the cat soup with BBQ sauce.

o

I use Sucking Sauce (I think that's the name, drawing a blanck suddenly). There is mild and hot. Adds lost of flavor and makes it very moist.

o

I don't use ketchup. I use 1 can of tomato paste and 1 can of tomato sauce. If it's too acidity, I add some honey.

You can also substitute with spaghetti sauce.

o

I don't have a recipe but a tip, When mixing meatloaf or meatballs, instead of using your hands to mix it, use an old fashioned potato masher. It mixes the ingredients while keeping your fingers free of the goo!

o

Use a light rubber glove to mix meatloaf and cheese rolls, then toss in trash. Can't remember the exact name of the glove, surgical maybe. I keep them to work in the yard or to spray paint, too.

DL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here