Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Knitters--have you seen pom pom yarn?

Posted by socks12345 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 9, 11 at 21:07

My friend knit a cute scarf from pom pom yarn she said she got at Michaels. Does anyone here know what yarn that might have been? She said she knit one stitch between each of the pom pom's.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Knitters--have you seen pom pom yarn?

Haven't seen it myself, but googling brought the following link.

I wouldn't use it, it looks like a chenille type yarn, and after one article I knitted with chenille, I vowed never again. Was tough to tink (take back out) and it didn't wear well at all. For the time invested, it wasn't worth it.

Moni

Here is a link that might be useful: pom pom yarn

o

I crocheted a baby blanket with "chenille" type yarn....ummm...let's just say it didn't stand up to machine washing on gentle cycle. Big no-no for baby stuff imho.

o

I like THIS scarf....
http://www.herrschners.com/Product/5Minute+Fashion+Scarf+Crochet+Kit.aspx

don't like this one so much....
http://www.herrschners.ca/product.aspx?pid=73388

o

It didn't look like either one of those, Kat. It was tighter knit than the first one, making little rows of soft, round pom poms. I'll try to stop at Michaels tomorrow to see what they have. Thank you.

o

I was introduced to another company's costly pompom yarn by my sister who saw a sample of a knit baby sweater while we were expecting Grandson #1. So I visited her one day and she took me to the shop to see it. I immediately splurged on this cotton type yarn with little chenille pompoms in various colors. I ended up using about $30 worth of yarn for the 12 month baby cardigan, but it was cute! Grandson wore it for a good two years, probably, but the problem we had was that he would pull the little pompoms off and eat them!!!!! His diapers must have been colorful!

o

LOL Sheila~

this one is cool!!!!!!!

except the color is ugly! lol
it is a tight weave. looks really snuggly!

Here is a link that might be useful: pom pom mink scarf

o

My friend made 25 scarves for a holiday bazaar from that yarn. It was super fast, and she didn't seem to be having any problem with it. The yarn from Michaels has a smaller length between the pom poms, vs the brand name pompom she did mention that.

o

I've tried knitting with PomPom yarn, it was a little hard for me, felt "unnatural" to my fingers. Made a scarf for my daughter for Christmas two years ago. Only problem, I've never seen her wear it! Definitely would not do it again!

o

OK, I went to Michaels and found the yarn. It's called Loops and Threads/Bunny Tail. Oddly, I cannot find the yarn on Michael's website. It's very, very soft, and pretty colors, some varigated. My friend said she knit on size 9 needles, one K stitch between each pom pom.

o

I knitted 10 scarves with this yarn for Christmas presents (1 1/2 skeins per scarf with #9 needles). Recipients LOVED them -- they are so soft and snuggly. I've gotten requests from recipients to make 4 more for their friends and/or relatives. I have not yet laundered the one I kept for myself and based on other comments, I guess I need to check that before making more. I also made a scarf of a smaller version of this yarn that Joann's Fabrics carries. Cute, but lots more work than knitting with the larger puffs of the bunny tail.

o

Yes, the one I saw was very cute, like pom poms lined up. Let us know how the laundering goes. I wondered if they were discontinuing the Bunny Tail because my Michaels did not have much, and it isn't on their website either.

o

I saw pom pom yarn today at the Ben Franklin craft store. It has some very pretty colors. Also saw it on JoAnn Frabrics.com today.

o

did you take pictures of the scarves you knitted?

o

I made at least a dozen scarves as Christmas gifts this past season, and had loads and loads of compliments on them. I used Red Heart pomp-a-doodle yarn, purchased at Michaels. I knit two stitches between each pompom. Very fast, very cute. I also made stuffed "aliens" for my kids and my nieces, which were a big hit. It looks as if Michaels may be discontinuing that yarn, and have replaced it with their own "Loops and Threads" pom-pom yarn. Their pompoms are much closer together; there is no way to get two stitches between the pompoms.

Scarf:
http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/pomp-doodle-1-ball-scarf

Alien:
http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/alien-pillows

o

I made a knitted scarf for my daughter two Cheistmasses ago out of Black Pom Pom yarn with pink and blue "pom-poms". Came out very pretty, but I found it awkward to work with.

o

um I actually just bought some from micheals it is called Loops and Thread pom-pom or the baby edition bunny tails i just cant find any patterns for it...

o

Kayla, my friend told me she made a scarf on sz. 9 needles with one stitch between each of the pom pom's, which yarn she got from Michaels. Maybe that helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here