Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Open Jar of Spaghetti Sauce - How Long in Refrigerator?

Posted by suzieque (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 20:00

Once I open and use part of a jar of spaghetti sauce, how long can I keep that jar in the refrigerator before it's no longer safe to use? One time I found a long-forgotten jar way in the back and it had grown some dreadded "fuzzies" - yuck! Of course I pitched that right away. But that was a very old jar.

What about a new, partially used jar?

Suzieque

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Open Jar of Spaghetti Sauce - How Long in Refrigerator?

Oh - by the way, of course I mean with the cover on tight.

o

I used to make ziplock packs of sauce and packs of equal sized cooked spaghetti then I could mix the two together for a quick supper (forgot I used to freeze them)
I wouldn't use that refrig jar after the next day

o

no more than 2 weeks from what i've read...as one person suggested, you could also freeze it...

o

I think it grows the "fuzzies" pretty quickly.

o

I have found the fuzzy ones too but truthfully it should last a pretty good number of days...even 4 or 5 fays shouldn't be an issue....

o

I've used mine after a week with no problems.

o

Gets even more crucial when one lives alone.

Something tells me that several local singles should get together for a pot-luck dinner, at least once a week!

I figure it should be good for at least a week.

(I get the feeling that I'm repeating myself).

ole joyful

o

Tomato things, because of the acid, can keep longer than some other things. It can be kept for at least a week. After that I would give it the smell test -- does it still smell the same? After that, heat it, and if it still smells good, use it.

o
RE Open Jar of Spaghetti Sauce

Ok, I guess I've played with fire on a couple of occasions, then. The last time I opened a jar I did freeze portion sizes (and Yes, I live alone) so that I can take them out when needed and not leave a jar to die in the frige. But there have been times when I've heated some up that's been there .... well, longer than any of you have said is Ok.

I've wondered, now I know - thank you!

Suzieque

o

I would check on the jar itself... different brands have different ingredients and dif. perservatives levels (some have added meats, etc..)

I often wonder about how long opened salsa lasts... and what about opened cocktail sauce... I can't find any info on the jars.... Any ideas on those?

o

Since my daughter has now (twice) put an open jar back in the cabinet, just today I read her what it says on the (Prego) jar: "Promptly refrigerate unused sauce and use within 14-days after opening."

I always freeze unless I plan to use it with a few days.

o

The fuzzies have happened to me with opened jars of salsa left in the fridge for too long. I buy smaller jars now or use in DH's eggs and rice throughout the week.

I agree with others that you freeze in small bags.

Enjoy!
Dee

o

It's a good question for condiments as well.... ketchup, mustard, salad dressings....

I think it can vary depending on the temp of the refrigerator and how quickly an item is cooled to that temp (which I'd think would be more of an issue with cooked foods as they take much longer to become chilled).

I don't have any good answers. My general rule of thumb for things other then condiments is a week (more or less depending on the item).

o

Well, Duh! Why didn't I think to freeze stuff like that? I have a paranoia about things in the fridge more than a couple of days, which translates to a lot of things not being used...
what a great idea to freeze things like spaghetti sauce. I have had an "AHH" moment as the queen of 'finding herself' says...
Suzan J

o

I googled and found the vast majority of places recommend 5 to 7 days. I liked this site the best.

Shirley
(who often freezes things like this so I don't waste as much.)

Here is a link that might be useful: How long do they last?

o

I'm the same way, jarz. I don't keep anything in the fridge more than a few days. I even toss ketchup and mayo if they are more than a few weeks old. I know they are still good, but one time we went to a seafood restaurant at the beach, and the ketchup was in a squeeze bottle, and it had soured. Yuck!
Of course, it had been sitting on the table for no telling how long, and I keep mine in the fridge, but I am extremely weird about food. Freezing left overs is a better idea, like for spaghetti sauce.

o

When I clean my fridge, which I only do about twice a yeat, I dump out everything that's opened, including all the condiments, like olives and ketchup.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here