SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

"No Smoking" An Uphill Battle At My Condo Complex

chisue
9 years ago

The board at my complex on Maui (316 units, zoned for short term vacation rental) wants to make this a no-smoking property. A two-thirds vote of owners is required to change the bylaws.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to 'get out the vote'? Several other complexes in the area have already gone smoke-free. We sure don't want to become the default home for smokers -- residents or vacation renters.

We have very few owners who smoke and who rent to guests who smoke. We would grandfather in those owners, but refuse to allow new buyers of their units to smoke or rent to smokers. Smoking on a lanai has been prohibited for years.

Since we can't yet prohibit smoking on the whole property, as a stopgap, we have put benches in several places where smoking is permitted. (Pretty places with views, but away from units and lanai.)

I'm told that the real difficulty is getting a two-thirds majority of owners to DO ANYTHING. We've had some close calls getting a simple majority to hold an annual meeting! Apathy is the problem.

All ideas gratefully entertained.

Comments (15)