SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Courtesy on the roads

joyfulguy
10 years ago

At a number of our intersections, the road widens a bit just before it meets the intersecting road's curb, in a number of situations enough that the second car stopped can make a right turn, usually allowed on red when it can be done safely, if the first car keeps to the left, but quite often not if the first car sits in the middle of his lane.

I often crowd the line on my left when in that situation, to allow the second driver to turn if s/he chooses.

It seems to me thoughtful of people to do something helpful to others, especially if there's no skin off of your nose in doing so.

Also, fairly frequently when I see a car ahead with a brake light out, if I'm fairly sure that the red light isn't going to change right away, I get out of my car to go up to let them know. Quite a few thank me.

On a few occasions I've directed traffic, the most recent being on a hot August day in rush hour when signal lights were out at an intersection leading to two suburbs.

I parked my car at a nearby lot (where I buy my insurance, actually) and went back to allow a half dozen to a dozen cars at a time go through the intersection, then a half dozen to a dozen on the other road. Otherwise, each car is supposed to stop, then proceed, with one car on the other road going next, so it takes quite a long time for a couple of dozen cars to stop and go, stop and go.

Several thanked me as they went by ... and one guy told me to get off of the road!

I did it once in Alberta and once in Ontario, on the freeways, following an accident. It's fairly easy to direct a driver by hand signals to turn off here, then turn left, then another left to get back on the freeway.

ole joyful

Comments (19)