gadgets
10 years ago

When you get really cold weather in your area, do you

1) Turn up the heat

2) Put on more and/or warmer clothing

3) Put more blankets on the bed

4) A combo of things

5) Other

I put on more/warmer clothing and more blankets on the bed.

Shirley

Comments (41)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

We don't change our thermostat, 62 at night. One extra comforter will do. I have begun wearing the socks that my wife knitted, much better than walking barefoot.

Sunday night prediction: -18!!!

Jim

• YogaLady1948
    10 years ago

We do all of the above, but we are in So Cal, so it never gets really~really freezing cold. We do not sleep with our heat.

• Related Discussions

Really cold weather next week!

Q

Comments (8)
    If you have a tarp or plastic paint protection sheet, I would probably cover my containers with them. Or get Sterlite/Rubbermaid containers with lids (the large, rectangular ones) and place the containers inside them-- cover them at night, leave them uncovered when it is warm and sunny. My seedlings (AND the ones I'd planted out already) survived the weather early this week of 14 degree Farenheit windchills, snow, and nights down to about 25. They should no stress what so ever. I left the planted out seedlings uncovered. The ones in containers, I had in Sterlite containers with the lids on at night. They all got snowed on in the day. Chances are all the plants are hardier than you think. (but I still don't know how the buds on my Hydrangea faired all the weather we had this week). Linda
    ...See More

Cold Weather Pansies - getting ready for winter (pic heavy)

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi pirate girl! I frequent the Hoya forum quite often. I purchased a lot of my Hoyas from EBay... But purchased two supposed EA lacunosas from big box retailers that look completely different from each other. I received an ID from the Hoya forum of my dark green as Ruby Sue and the lighter I was just guessing as Tove. You know how spotty their labeling can be. The Aeoniums that have the larger more sporadic looking leaves were labeled as "Voodoo" and listed two parent plants with Schwarzkopf being one of them. The other more bushy aeonium was purchased from an eBay seller in San Diego calling it Blushing Beauty... Not sure on that one. I have tried to be very precautious with the Hindu Rope as well as all of the clearance bin babies. Most I have systemically sprayed with a Neem/Soap/Alcohol mix I found in the Hoya forum. Admittedly, it is a pain in the rear!!! And I'm sure the Echeveria will only be tolerant of sprays if they are few and far between. The Aeoniums don't seem to mind at all. I realize it's a gamble, but they just won't make it outside in a N TX winter. I'm crossing my fingers!!! Anyhow, thank you for the advice and info. And thank you, thank you to Kathi and Hoovb! ~Sara
    ...See More

Does Cold Weather Affect Tomatoes (Not Freezing Cold)

Q

Comments (6)
    That's a shame. Our winters are off and on, and most nurseries have them already, and only one that I know of keeps them inside a greenhouse that's heated. It was about 45 last night and will be probably below 40 tonight. I have 5 planted, and am covering them at night with pots, and the rest are still in pots or seed trays, and I'm bringing them in at night. I'll see how those that are already planted do this spring. I'm tired of not getting more than a few tomatoes.
    ...See More

How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather

Q

Comments (4)
    Thank you for the suggestions. After some more research, I decided to go ahead and order the Chillerator. The light bulbs, electrical tape and other ideas sound like more than I want to do and are not guaranteed to work. I appreciate the advice and will post back on how the Chillerator works out.
    ...See More
  • Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

Heat goes to 72....

Lol...

• kayjones
    10 years ago

I put on extra clothes when I'm up and about and an electric blanket on the bed for sleeping - I don't turn the heat on unless I have a small child visiting. The same goes for the a/c - only turn it on when absolutely necessary.

It rarely goes below 40 here, so I'm very blessed to be able to decide whether to turn the heat on or not. When I lived in Missouri, it wasn't an option - you HAD to turn the heat and a/c on.

• kittiemom
    10 years ago

It's rare for us to get really cold temps - or at least what a lot of the country would consider cold. We have a cold front moving through tonight & it's supposed to be in the mid 30's tomorrow, which is the coldest for us this winter. We've been having a lot of days in the 70's. We do a combo. The heat may go up a little, but we also add extra layers of clothes and blankets.

• alisande
    10 years ago

If I were heating with oil, it seems to me the house would stay at the same temperature if the thermostat remained at the same number. The oil burner would just turn on more often, that's all.

Since I heat with wood, i have to feed the stove more often in very cold weather.

I do dress more warmly, though, because my woodstove doesn't heat all of the house evenly.

• oldfixer
    10 years ago

5. Other. Make soup.

• patty2430
    10 years ago

Our furnace is very efficient, and seems to keep up with the lower temps. We usually try to heat with the wood-burning fireplace, but once it gets below 10 degrees, then we're just fighting an uphill battle so just use the furnace at that point. There is a propane shortage, so the gas company is not filling our tank completely these days. Predictions of 30 below for Monday & Tuesday here in north central MN; it's the wind that really makes the difference. But....the days are getting longer, so the end has to be is sight....right?

• Kathsgrdn
    10 years ago

It's 17 degrees here right now. The thermostat is at 74 right now and still the livingroom and back bedrooms are cold. I have a space heater in my room...Lauren and I share. We both have heated mattress pads on the beds too. I hate being cold.

• marie_ndcal
    10 years ago

I keep the house at 72, and layer my clothes. At night run 67. I also use a electric heater downstairs and I do not have good circulation in the house, nor a wood stove. In CA we used a free standing woodstove, but we had access to free wood. Sure wish I had it here in ND. Was 27 below this morning and going under a blizzard warning for day or so.
    I love my boots--Toe Warmers from Canada--they are the greatest!!!!

• OklaMoni
    10 years ago

I am keeping the heat up, since it takes HOURS to get a decent temp again in the morning. I worry, I am overheating the heater.

But meanwhile I am wearing more stuff.

I need to get new windows. To much cold air comes in there.

Moni

• pkramer60
    10 years ago

We are in for an artic blast starting tonight, going down to -5 to -15. The heat for nights will be set at 66 as always. I have flannel pj's, a down comforter and a warming blanket. At some point during the night, the blanket will be turned off. I like to sleep cool.

During the day, the heat is set for 69 to 71. I have no problem wearing layers and if I am really cool, I will grab a blanket while watching TV. And it is a good excuse to turn on the oven and bake something for a bit extra heat.

• pekemom
    10 years ago

Along with a combination of the things listed I like to use a heating pad on my lap too, and the peke loves it.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Sending warm wishes to all of you in the freezing cold. It was almost 80 degrees F. today here in SoCal.

The coldest my house ever gets in winter is about 53 degrees F. I never use the heat, just put on a shawl and wear socks and flannel to sleep in.

• Orchidllauraga
    10 years ago

Leave the heat at 65 and put on more clothes and more blankets on the bed...and fix chili...lol

• phyllis__mn
    10 years ago

....everything mentioned above, plus flannel sheets and flannel pajamas!

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

I keep it at 19 or 20C (66-68) We don't pay for heat, but we like it cool. We went out for a walk today (-16C) and our legs were numb (wearing jeans) When we got back I put some sweatpants over my yoga pants and had them on till this evening. I'll put on a zipped sweater so I can take it on and off as I get hot/cold with my hot flashes.

At nite I still sleep with the window open, with cotton sheets, the bedspread and a knitted throw on top. If I get cold, hubby has the hottest body temp of anyone I know, so I'll snuggle for a while, till I get warmed up again.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

I rarely change the thermostat it's around 67 in winter. I do adjust what I wear and we each have a nice warm fluffy throw near the recliners. My little dog gets cold and shivers so I have lots of warm comfy fleece sweaters for her to wear and she has her own blankies at our chairs.
    I like to sleep cool but I do occasionally throw a light weight down comforter on top of the bed if it's really cold, mostly for my husband and the dog.

My husband has an electric heated throw he digs out of the closet at times.
    My dog also has a heated cuddle up bed that stays on all the time. If it ever dies I will have to replace it ASAP.

I find if my feet are cold then I will be cold so I like soft fluffy socks or slipper socks. I got some great ones at bed bath and beyond.

We just bought an oscillating tall ceramic electric heater for the RV. We were extremely pleased and impressed with the performance of it. We never had to use the propane furnace. I would recommend them. Ours is a Lasko from Walmart has a nice little remote control so I could change it from bed. It was under $50.

• glenda_al
    10 years ago

Have my vaporizer going in the bedroom!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

We do not turn up the heat when it gets colder outside. It stays set at around 63. That's what winter clothes are for, lol. I do use an electric blanket on my bed for a while at night and add a comforter. We bundle up while watching TV in the evening....lots of windows in that room!

Hot soups and stews will be the order of the day, that's for sure. We're expecting single digits within the next few days, pretty unusual for us here in Northern Alabama.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    10 years ago

I turn on heat in the garage so the drain to the water softener will not freeze, turn on heat in other rooms, as we only heat the rooms we are in, for the most part. I make sure there is heat in the kitchen over night if it is really cold like it is now, about -8 out with snow and blowing. Sometimes we will burn wood. We used to only heat with wood but since my husband;s stroke we don't burn it all the time, just have it for emergencies. We have electric ceiling heat. I very seldom turn on heat in my bedroom, but my husband's room is usually around 80! I don't put on extra clothing or bedding at least not usually.

Sue

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

Sue, I can't imagine having a room as hot as your husband's bedroom!!!!

Last nite the bedroom window was frozen shut, so we had the ceiling fan going. I sure missed the fresh, cold air!!!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

I do all of the above, but I will add the heating pad goes on either my rear or my feet, and, if it's really cold, I put a couple of blankets and pillows at the bottom of the front door. I think cold air blows in there. My bedroom is on an outer wall and it's concrete block, so my room is colder than the rest of the house, consistently. Brr! I don't wear socks to bed, but I might the next three nights. We're headed for single digits, close to record lows which were set in the late 1800s. I'm in Nashville. We don't get single digit temps. What I really don't understand is why we have so many days below 20 degrees this year. My car doesn't have a heater and it is only unbearable in this range, so I am really noticing. Many more days than previous years.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

Rob, if my feet are cold, the rest of me is cold! Socks are not abnormal at all for me to put on, initially. Thru the nite they work themselves off as I get hot, but they sure feel good when I first get into bed.

I never thought of cars being built with no heater. Or is it just your car? The heater doesn't work?? The heat and cold work with the same control panel, so I wonder why they wouldn't install a heater. Also resale would be limited. But what do I know?? LOL

• jannie
    10 years ago

Extra blankets and extra sweaters! It never gets to minus 40 where I live (Long Island NY). Right now it's 11 degrees out, heading for a high of 16 today! I'm warm and cozy in my little house!

• dedtired
    10 years ago

It is cold right now. 18 degrees, which is abnormally cold for my area. It's also windy so my house seems extra cold. I have on a long sleeve T, a big wool sweater, heavy corduroy jeans with cuddl duds under them and my Smartwool socks. Think I will add a scarf because my neck is chilly. The thermostat is at 69 and is about to be pushed up to 71. At night it goes down to 63. I like a cool bedroom. I am cozy under a down comforter and a quilt. I wear socks at night as soon as the weather cools off in the fall and every night until spring.

If I am cold in the evening I cover up with a wool afghan. Spring can't get here fast enough.

• jak1
    10 years ago

All of the above. It is -20F here this morning, -30 C. Welcome to Canada.

• casey_nfld
    10 years ago

I turn up the heat and put on sweaters,extra socks, etc. I also have a microwaveable bag that I heat up and put in bed with me to warm my feet!

• sleeperblues
    10 years ago

Never turn the thermostat above 68 in the day, 60 at night. I wear more clothes during the day, and an extra blanket at night. We haven't hit 0 here all week, this is getting really old.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Ah dedtired - you beat us. Our side of the river is 15 and we're heading to a high of 16!

I thought of you when DH and I were snow blowing the driveway and sidewalks - did you neighbor boys show up to shovel today?

It took us nearly 2 hours to clear the snow and when we finished someone came by on an ATV with a plow attachment and plowed my neighbor's driveway. I think I'll find out who it was and I might call him next time. I don't mind using the snow blower but I worry about DH's health and if he's home he insists on doing it.

We have 2 furnaces and keep the main one between 66 and 68. The other furnace is for our addition and that part of the house is chillier - it has a cathedral roof, larger windows, and more doors - that one is set to 68 all the time.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

That's exactly my point jasdip, it's so cold, I'll even do something I never do. Heating pad on my feet works really well when they do get cold. Rare as it is, I almost never need to, but it works.

My car is 23 years old. The heater "core" went out three years ago, and it is so mild where I live, I didn't bother to replace it. Never replaced the A/C either. It's totally fine until it's 90 degrees or above or below 25 degrees.

• teddybear_2009
    10 years ago

Really cold spell here all across Canada. I like to be prepared to just stay home and enjoy getting caught up on lots of things I have not had time for in summer. Reading lots of good books, getting photo albums in order ,lots of stick to your ribs foods like stew and hot biscuits. Of course there is always cleaning out closets and drawers as a last resort when you get really bored!! Also jig saw puzzles keeps one brain engaged. The sidewalks and roads are also so icy right now it is down right dangerous for seniors to go out. Some of my friends have taken terrible tumbles.

• mary3444
    10 years ago

In mid-TN it is colder then it has been since the 1900's.

We are lucky, even though the house is 3,400 sq. ft. our wood stove always heats the whole house. Each room up stairs is the same temp as the others, the finished basement is 70 deg & upstairs is 72 deg. When it gets colder hubby just puts in a few extra logs. The wood stove is very large so it is not hard to fill it with extra wood.

Most times he fills it at about 7:00 pm & does not have to worry till the next morning around 9-10 am.

We always shut the heat off in our bedroom & sleep with the window open about 4-6". We do use flannel sheets on the bed.

• chisue
    10 years ago

Other: We go to Maui. It's 80F in the condo right now, with Trades making it pleasant. Of course, *getting* here was a bit iffy with all the snow hitting Chicago. We had to speed walk to make our connecting flight out of Dallas.

• lindaohnowga
    10 years ago

We do turn up the heat a few degrees, turn on the electric space heater in our solarium, put the draft dodgers I made at both back doors, hang thick plastic over the sliding glass doors, close the drapes, wear many layers of clothing and use my electric blanket at night. Let the water drip a little to avoid frozen pipes. And mainly I just hibernate. I hate the cold.

• Nita__AZ
    10 years ago

I live in SE Arizona with an elevation of a mile high. Tonight it will only get down into the mid 40's but has been known to get down into the teens.

We keep the heat at 68 degrees and if I feel chilly I will bump it up a couple of degrees or wrap up in a throw to keep warm. At night I sleep in a recliner and use a quilt that Wanda VA made me, which is very toasty warm.

We also have a fireplace, which we rarely use.

• glenda_al
    10 years ago

Go on a cruise to the Caribbean!

I'm set to go Feb 1.

• linda_in_iowa
    10 years ago

Since I have new windows in my house, I don't turn the heat up any higher when it is very, very cold out. It is below zero at night now with the arctic air. I have an electric mattress pad on my bed and decided not to use my down comforter this winter as I prefer the heat from the mattress pad. During the day, I wear sweats and have been wearing an old thermal top under my sweatshirt. I also put a throw over my legs when I am sitting. I am going to make chili tomorrow and don't plan to leave the house on Monday which should be the coldest day. Tonight on the news they said we should warm up our cars for 15 minutes before driving.

• heather_on
    10 years ago

When it gets really cold, like the extreme cold we have had in Ontario the last few days, I hibernate. We keep a fairly warm house and always have in the winter. My internal thermostat must have changed this year because I am currently in a t-shirt with bare feet and I am hot. I will likely open my window a crack for fresh air tonight. Normally I would have been dressed in long sleeves, socks and slippers in the past and complaining that I was cold. These last few days sure have been miserable outside which is why I am hibernating.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Some of the 'extra ' things we've been doing to prepare for the single digit temperatures are : change the air filters for our whole house unit, put on the insulators to our outdoor hose bibs (hoses already drained), open the cabinet doors under all of the sinks to let warm air in, we will also run water in the sinks, something that people in very cold climates don't have to think about.

• joyfulguy
    10 years ago

The thermostat, which has been told to keep things in the low 60s, orders the furnace around, and it's pretty good at doing what it's told. Probably better check the float on the oil tank again, now that you mention it.

I wear layers of clothing, and three blankets plus flannelette sheets on the bed.

Probably eat more ...

... says ole joyfuelled ... who uses other fuel, as well