SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19778634

Long or short?

User
10 years ago

I haven't had long hair in about 44 yrs. Now that it's getting long I am not used to it at all, hair is everywhere and tangling often.

What are the pros & cons of long vs short?
It seem to be easier taking care of long hair but still much work.
Have you went from short to long, whats your opinions or suggestions?

Comments (22)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

I used to have a short pixie cut, and now I am growing my hair out to just below my ears in more of a short page boy. The short section that is still growing out will often fall over my forehead/face, and it drives me nuts. But I do think I like the look of the longer hair on me for my age and hair color.

I had to find new hair products to keep my hair ends from flying about.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

I'm growing my hair out Joann. It was always very short, 2" on the top, and above my ears at the sides.

This spring I decided to grow it, but I'm still on the fence if it's what I want to do.

I do find my hair is dry now. I never noticed it at all when it was short, so that is very discerning to me. Also I have waves, I have wings at the side, which of course I didn't have before!

Tangles, yes I hear you!
    When I would get my hair cut, they would often cut it too short and close to my head at the back, which I hated.
    I also hate weight on my head and when the top grew it drove me crazy.

• Related Discussions

Long or Short Window Coverings?

Q

Comments (5)
    Hmm. If you do go with full length curtains, I'd suggest 96" curtains hung all the way to the ceiling (or so they touch the floor) in an airier, less bulky fabric than your previous curtains. I would also be tempted to put the bed diagonally under the windows so that the curtains set off your bed, and the bed obscures that the windows are a bit small and high-set. You also get to disguise the asymmetrical windows by extending the curtains over the wall on the left. Great transformation on the room. I love apple green.
    ...See More

Bedroom drapes, long or short?

Q

Comments (16)
    I think *long* are in .. I have long in my master bedroom. However I just installed short in the guest room yesterday. In the guest room I am going for a bright, casual beach cottage look. I stood back and imagined the curtains in the long and the short lengths. I wanted to keep the room light and airy. Also there will be kids using the room so I figured window sill length might be more prudent. I LOVE the way they came out. Just plain white curtains. I'm glad I went with the short length.
    ...See More

Long or Short Stalk or Scape, Genetic?

Q

Comments (0)
    My clivia always blooms on short scape/stalk. But the blooms are still very good. So I just wonder what determines the length of the scape. I overwinter the plant in my sunroom, with little water. Then outdoor in bright shade when temp warms up. Not sure if over-wintering in dark space would have made any difference. I normally do not store plants in basement since I could forget to water them.
    ...See More

Long day, short day...what about mid day?

Q

Comments (9)
    To complicate matters, not all long day varieties are adapted to the same latitudes. For instance long day Walla Walla is adapted from latitudes 35-55N so I can grow it here in KC at 38.5N but long day Redwing is adapted from 43-65N so I can't grow it because it needs longer days then I get (just under 15 hours) here to bulb up properly. Johnny's Selected Seeds website lists the latitude adaptation of most of the bulbing onions that they offer which should help you select some that would do well in Wichita. Here in KC, I've grown Candy, Red Candy, Superstar (now named Sierra Blanca), Walla Walla, Copra, and Red Defender. Of those, Copra is supposed to store the longest.
    ...See More
  • pekemom
    10 years ago

I have blond, fine, straight, thinning hair...it looks better short with some volume through gel and hairspray. I never could have thick braids or a ponytail even when I was young. I think keeping it long or short depends on what type of hair you have.

• kayjones
    10 years ago

Joann, after Gary died, I had my very long hair cut into a pixie - about 2" long all over (yes, I donated it to Locks of Love).

It has been growing for the last 5 years and is now about 4" above my waist. I prefer it either in a really short cut or as it is now - very long.

I can now braid it or use a clip to keep it off my neck/back. Once in a great while, I curl it and let it hang free, but ONLY for a very special event.

If I had to style my hair on a daily basis, I wouldn't like it at all!

• Orchidllauraga
    10 years ago

I have short hair that I use a ton of product on...but I like the look of it. I also highlight & lowlight with some base color in it to cover the grey. If I had pretty grey hair I wouldn't color it, but it is dull and makes me look older than I am. It does not go with my skin coloring no shine to it.

I have had short hair since my 40th birthday, On that day I donated a 13" braid to Locks of Love and Molly age 7 donated a 10" braid. Her hair has grown out and I think she is beautiful, but she colors her hair too...original hair color is super dirty dishwater blonde...so is mine but with the nasty grey on top of my head....

• golfergrrl
    10 years ago

I had long hair once when I was in my 20's.
    It's been short ever since.
    Long hair: heavy, headaches, tangles, a lot of care, etc.
    Short hair: get out of the shower and shake my head....good
    to go.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I won't have very short hair... so shake & go won't work for me. I have to fuss & fuss & curl & comb all the time when its in the shorter mod. Now that it's longer I still fuss too much but it seems easier. Its just hard knowing what to do with it. Like Jasdip it bugs me to death to have it in my face. I still don't know what I will do with it. I'm not a "pony tail" type either......maybe if it gets longer I'll change my mind.

• glenda_al
    10 years ago

short

I'm a wash and go!

No curling irons to use or hair dryer.

• donna_loomis
    10 years ago

About five years ago I went from hair that was past my waist to hair that is very short. I did really like wearing my various hair sticks, but I sure like how much easier short hair is to care for. Less than a two minute blow dry with my round brush to add fullness and I'm off to work. My makeup takes longer than my hair.

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

I prefer shorter...my husband likes it long..just over a week ago..I had about 8" cut off..and then further layered..so that took it up more..it sits on my shoulders..

I did this cut for me..but he doesn't mind it..just wished it wasn't quite as short..I said hair grows..mine grows twice as fast.. Lol

I'd be happy with it just about two-three inches past my shoulders.

So in about 3 months.. ;)

• chisue
    10 years ago

I'm 72. My hair is starting to thin a bit at the crown, but I had very thick, heavy hair to start with. I have a 'swath' of my original very dark brown hair right in front, and the rest is that ugly grey -- not nice *white*. If I didn't color my hair (brown) I'd look like some variety of reverse skunk with that nearly black 'stripe'. I've worn hair long enough to put up, but not since I was 30. Now it is chin length with a little layering. I always want it long enough to put behind my ears. I can use a comb or two to hold it out of my face.

IMO long hair is nice if you are very young, or if you wear it up, or if you're singing 'country' at the Grand Ole' Opry. In my town I see too many women who are too many years too old for their long blond locks -- with extensions yet!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

I have had mine from long below my butt to short Jamie Lee Curtis pixie cut. Recently the short pixie. I don't color, it's blue black and silver with the silver around my face. I am fine with it. The ease of the short has been the determining factor. Right now it's grown out some, short and curly about to my shirt collar. I sweat really bad from my head so the short is cooler. It's really thin on top from the meds especially the chemo med. I have been considering letting it go a little longer before getting it cut. I do like being able to put it in a pony tail but I donâÂÂt know if I can stand the letting it grow part.
    I am sure as soon as the heat starts again I will be cutting it off.

I personally think older women look better with shorter hair.

Both of my grandmother's had super long hair below their waistline but it was always braided and wrapped around the head halo style or braided in buns. They always looked so pretty. It was amazing to see at night when it came down and got brushed.

• angelaid
    10 years ago

My hair is always just to about the middle of my back. Long and fine. I shower, run a comb through it, tie it in a clip or ponytail and go. Have chopped it off a couple of times over the years. Too much work.

• oldfixer
    10 years ago

Hair ---- what's that? No fussing here. My top shines, but not from hair. Haven't seen anyone mention those drain problems either.

• chloecat
    10 years ago

I find shorter hair to be a LOT more work than longer hair.

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

I'm going to try growing it to a blunt, all the same length. I had it layered, but it was sticking out all over, and it's very thick. I think it'll be easier if it's all the same length.

Time will tell, but it's easy to chop off short again, if I don't like it.

I don't care for really long hair on older women. I often wonder why people of any age with long hair, who always have it piled up, or pulled back. Why not just have short hair?

• chloecat
    10 years ago

" I often wonder why people of any age with long hair, who always have it piled up, or pulled back. Why not just have short hair?"

Flexibility.

• kittiemom
    10 years ago

I had long hair until I was 30, with the exception of the chin-length bob I had a couple of years in college. Mine is fine but very thick and grows really fast. It's also straight. Curling it was a lot of work and I had to use a ton of hair spray because the slightest bit of humidity would cause the curl to fall out. Not ideal in the very humid coastal south during the summer. I found myself always putting my hair into a clip or putting it up, but never wearing it down because it just didn't look really good. I got it cut short and have kept it that way. I get variations on the my cut, letting the bangs or back sometimes grow a little longer. Mine is easier and faster to style when it's short. I can dry and style it in 10 minutes from soaking wet. If I shower and then eat breakfast, etc, letting it dry naturally for a while, I can style it in five minutes. It used to take me 30 minutes minimum to curl and style it when it was long. And mine just has more body and looks better short. It has to be thinned out underneath because it's so heavy. Long hair just lies on my head unattractively. I think it depends on your hair type and how much time you need to spend on that style for your hair. I know ladies with long hair who can wear their hair down but who don't need to spend a lot of time styling.

• eccentric
    10 years ago

A few inches below my ears. I have very thick, naturally wavy, dry hair. I have it layered and when I wash it I add a curl enhancer (it has to be one formulated for thick hair otherwise it does zip) and then I just let it dry. If my hair gets too long it is too heavy and I look like a giant bush - and I don't suit my hair up. I wore it short for many years, but with my hair type it grew sideways and looked awful. The trick is to keep it long enough then when it curls post washing it isn't too short - I need the added softness to my face - and enough to stick out from whatever hat I am wearing. My natural hair colour was auburn and I have single-processed it to its natural auburn for many years. Since my hair is somewhat porous it appears to have highlights. My Irish heritage skin is yellow-based - only auburn suits unfortunately - and my grey is horrible iron-grey. But I always tell people not to colour their hair any shade of red if they suit anything else because it fades big time. When I have my hair cut my hairdresser blows it straight and people ask my why I curl it when it looks better straight. News flash!!!

• Alice_sj
    10 years ago

My hair is long and curly. I suppose it could be a lot of work, but I keep it natural. I do not blow dry. It is just too much work, and I don't mind wet hair. I do think a lot of short hairstyles are cute, but not for me.

To help with the tangling of long hair, I would suggest a nice leave-in conditioner.

• drewsmaga
    10 years ago

I've had my hair long since I was a teenager, except for about every ten years I get it cut above shoulder length. I had that done last March, liked it, had 2 trims and said "What the heck" -- why am I spending $18 plus tip and 90 minutes of my life, when I can't stand it hanging around my face and wear it it a ponytail every day anyway? (I take care of 2 and 1/2 and 16 month old grandkids 4 days a week -- PONYTAIL!) It's gonna grow back out to elbow length now.

• ruthieg__tx
    10 years ago

Short here too...I was letting it grow out thinking I would wear it up since I am getting older....My husband who of course like most men, likes long hair, finally said....why don't you cut it....too much hair....Guess I won't hear the why don't you let your hair grow out again....

I see a lot of older women with long hair, I think it is great if they wear it up but down, for the most part it's sad looking...JMHO There are a few exceptions....

I saw a woman at the Mall and from behind she had beautiful hair...I figured she was early 20 or 30...beautiful color but obvious color and a really nice figure...When she turned around, she was pretty close to my age and although her hair was beautifully done, I just felt terribly sorry for her....Like she had just never let go of her high school hair do....and I guess I wonder about the pony tail thing too....and especially that clip and twist thing some girls do...where did anyone get the idea that was or is attractive...A rat's nest stuck on the back of your head...ugly..

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths