Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please....a can opener that works

Posted by roco0101 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 18:59

I just tossed my electric Black and Decker out the back door into the yard. Yeah, I've sent toasters, can openers, another few electronics of kitchen utensils that don't work according to promise. I have bought from high end kitchen stores and Kohls - they take them back without having to bring in a can of dog food to show it doesn't work.

I would pay $2,000 for a Binford 9000 that works

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please....a can opener that works

I use an oxo manual one. No wasted counter space, no electric outlet needed... :)

Moni

o

I have never had an electric opener. I have one from Pampered Chef that I love.

o

I have the non-electric, which removes the lid, leaving NO SHARP edges - I have 3 of them. They are easy on the hands, too.

o

I have a Starfrit can opener - best one I have ever had. It's not electric, and it does what Kayjones' does - no sharp edges.

Here is a link that might be useful: Can opener

o

I've thrown away more electric can openers than I can count. I finally ended up with a manual one, but I really REALLY want a wall-mounted SwingAway.

o

oklamoni beat me to it! go to target (my fave place for oxo brand) it has a nice cushy black handle...bought mine way back in 2000 (when we thought there might be a problem, lol) it's been thru the dishwasher a ton, too..btw wanted to get a new one and dh brought home a fancier one, with a "locking" device, tossed it out after 6 months...

o

I have a Good Cook brand manual can opener. Works so smoothly you question whether it's cutting or not. It's one of the side cutting "safety", no sharp edges, etc, things. Bought it at Target or Kmart for a few bucks. I had one of the TV advertised types before that and liked the side cutting but it was tough to use. Didn't mind when that one died. I didn't expect much from the Good Cook one because of the price but was pleasantly surprised. No gunk buildup on it and it's lightweight too. And it doesn't waste time, weight and resources on things like that useless bottle opener on a Swing-A-Way.

o

I have an ancient manual SwingAway, and it always works. I've had electric ones, and hated them.

o

I, too, gave up on the electric can opener many years ago. I have a Kuhn-Rikon that I got at T.J. Maxx. I like it because it cuts the lid clean. No jagged edges to cut yourself on.

o

I use the One Touch can opener. It's the best can opener that I have ever used. You just place it on the can, push the button and it goes around the top of the can then stops automatically when it is done.

Elaine

o

I have a Hamilton Beach electric opener which I love!!

o

Oxo. Easy, fast, comfortable, neat. I've never understood the requirement for an electric device.

o

OXO here too!

No need for a bulky electric appliance.

o

lol..do you guys with oxo, find it's out on the counter 24/7?? i swear i never seem to put it in the drawer...

o

I love my electric can opener!! Never had a single problem. Has a knife sharpener on the back. Opens large cans with ease. Blade part detaches for easy cleaning too.

Here is a link that might be useful: can opener

o

Another OXO fan here!

o

Mine is a Hamilton Beach that takes the bigger cans also, about 5-6 years old or more.

o

I have a manual SwingAway. I never put it in the dishwasher though. I think they work very well.

o

I have a manual KitchenAid but like the Oxo as well. I dislike the electric ones.

Used to use a church key and liked those the best! Did use a SwingAway a long time ago too.

o

Yeas ago (about 25), like you, I became completely frustrated with my electric can opener. My sister sent me a handheld Amco Swing-a-Way for Christmas that year. I have not used another can opener since.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swing-a-Way like mine but mine is red

o

I have the Swing A Way and the Pampered Chef one. Both work well. I hated the electric opener, too.

o

I have a nice one from the grocery store. It doesn't leave any sharp edges either. But it looks different from the ones above. It works great. I need to find one for left handers, my son has a problem using the right handed ones. It's quite funny! lol

o

I have a manual Swing a Way, too. It has worked just great for years. I could not be bothered with an electric one taking up space on the counter. My mother has some dumb electric hand held thing. She has to get it out, plug it in, use it and then put it away each time. Big waste of time, but she likes gadgets.

o

I have a manual and an electric can opener. The manual one works the best. The electric one hardle ever gets used.

o

I bought a Swingline hand held can opener years ago. It was advertised as the one NASA approved to use on space flights. That's how old it is, and it works great.

o

Jodi, I bought one of those not long ago and it was
awful. It just wouldn't work! Then I tried another, and
same problems! I thought I'd perhaps purchased a lemon.
Guess not! lol

This is the one I bought a few months ago. It works
wonderfully! It was at Safeway or FredMeyers... Good Cook
brand. Although, I don't think mine has that hookie thing
on the bottom part! lol Has anyone seen a can opener for lefties?

o

I've never had an electric one (I'm 62.) I like the manual ones because I can throw them in the dishwasher (tuna fish.) I buy them at the Dollar Tree and when they get rusty I buy another.

o

Sorry I"m slow for getting back to thank you all, The flu has been ravenging our house...and no one moves

I will try all suggestions... My mission for February is to find a can opener that works, get my car emmission done

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here