Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Juicer Recommendations???

Posted by naughtykitty (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 17:37

I have decided I need to get a little more healthy and lose some weight so I thought I'd give juicing a try. I have several friends that are doing it. I am looking for recommendations for a decent quality, decent price juicer. Oh, and any recipes you can recommend.
Thanks so much,
Meredith/NK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Juicer Recommendations???

I did the research recently. After buying a Jack LaLanne juicer for my son and daughter-in-law a couple of years ago I discovered it's notoriously difficult to clean. So I don't recommend that one.

If I were replacing my Acme juicer today (they don't make mine anymore), I would get one of these two:

Breville BJE200XL Compact Juicer. Look at those reviews! Breville has an excellent reputation.

From Walmart, the Hamilton Beach Big Mouth 76750. I've heard it's excellent, and at $59.38 you save about $40 over the Breville. Walmart has another Hamilton Beach selling for less, but I've heard that one isn't good. They also have a stainless steel version of the one I linked, and that's probably just as good or better.

o

I'd say the best juicer is a "Juiceman" They have went down in price since I got mine, try the Juiceman Jr.

o

ina garten uses this on on her show, or DID and I thought if I ever bought one for myself I would love to get this one: Braun Citromatic juicer

o

You might look at the discussion of the "Nutrabullet" on page 6 here, Jan 5, I think. Wish I knew how to post a link to it. It is "Not" a juicer, but interesting discussion.

o

Wow, thank you all for your great suggestions. I went to my mom's house for dinner last night and she has an old 1980's Juiceman in the garage that she is letting me borrow. If I feel like I want to continue to juice I will probably buy the Breville. It has great reviews and under $100 is a great deal! Thanks again!

o

Well shoot. Been reading about the Nutribullet and I might have to do that instead. Sounds more versatile and I like pulpy beverages

o

Depends on your intended purpose, I would think. I watched quite a few YouTube videos about the Nutribullet, and noticed everyone putting way more fruit than vegetables in theirs (plus water). I could understand why....blended berries and bananas have got to taste better than blended romaine and carrots (especially when you add water). I like fruit, but have a greater need to up my vegetable intake.

Maybe you should get both--seriously! :-)

o

I agree with alisande. I have a juicer and a Vitamix and I use them completely differently. I've tried blending carrots and such but the texture is gross to me, even with the vitamix. However, I juice carrots with no problem. The only veggie I can do in smoothies is spinach. I've tried kale and it just doesn't work for me. Again being a texture thing, but I also can't drink pulpy orange juice so it might just be me!

Things like berries and bananas are more suited to blenders while things like carrots, celery and and greens juice very well. One of my favorite juices is kale, spinach, parsley, apple, lemon, and ginger. It's very green and tastes sweet.

o

You can put anything you want in the NBullet. The concoctions are absolutely NOT like a juice and you need to be prepared for that. But you will gain every single nutritional benefit, including those from peels, stems, and in some cases....seeds.

Chi83's combination would be delicious in the bullet.

o

Breville produces powerful juicers featuring multiple speeds can help you prepare refreshing juice instantly. When it comes the cleaning, most parts of the Breville juicers are dishwasher-safe. I suggest you to go for Breville Juicers.

o

We started the smoothie regimen and I got the Ninja kitchen system pulse
Ninja Kitchen System Pulse Blender - Model BL204

I love it! It will devour anything you put in it.
Love the smoothies with spinach, banana, flax powder, a little granola, my protein powder, ice and a spoon full of greek yogurt. I also like to put blueberries and blackberries in.

o

I still love our bullet...more and more every day. It pulverizes everything so well that there really isn't much texture to it. I use two cups or more of mixed dark greens. On top of that, I added cucumber, celery, avocado, carrots, and lime to mine this morning. And a pinch of cayenne. Different than what I usually make, and delicious.

o

I enjoy both blending and juicing. Blending keeps me fuller longer, but I don't always like the texture. Green smoothies make me feel good but nothing compares to the pure, clean energy I get after juicing. Maybe because it gets rid of the fiber so it absorbs differently? I don't know the science behind it but I definitely feel a difference. That's just me though.

I think either one is a great choice.

o

Chi, I am so glad that you said that. I'm a Nutri Bullet user and have noticed from the very beginning that less than an hour after I have my 'sludgie ', I have an almost overwhelming feeling of well being and energy. It's the same with my husband. I wish I understood the biochemistry behind it, but there's no doubting that it's real.

Same with the dramatic reduction in my blood pressure and blood sugar numbers. It's been astonishing to me. I can't wait for my cholesterol to be tested next month.

o

I am so glad to hear you have had such great results. It is interesting what works for one body or another, but healthy habits are always a positive thing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here