SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Iron Supplements, Anyone?

chisue
9 years ago

The appropriate forum has so few posts that I decided to post here, too.

Would it be safe to try a slow release iron supplement of 45 mg's once a day (at dinner)? My multi-vitamin has no iron, and the MD I saw recently said that my hair loss problem might be due to iron deficiency. In fact, she and another female MD are marketing a supplement to women just FOR hair and nail problems. They got into this after finding that so many women lack adequate iron. (I remember the thinking used to be that you didn't need it after menopause.)

This seems to me to be a low dose and, with the slow release, safe to try, but what do I know? I won't be 'home' again for two months. I know iron supplements can cause constipation -- and probably other ills. I wouldn't be surprised to be deficient; I must take steroids (Advair) for asthma, and...I'm OLD!

Does anyone on the KT take iron supplements? What dosage? Good/bad results?

Comments (20)

• susanjf_gw
    9 years ago

thats exactly what i was going to suggest....the slow release if MUCH gentler on you tum...btw, you do know using an cast iron skillet is good for you as well??

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

If you have regular blood work done I highly recommend having an iron level done before you start so you know what your base level is and that you actually do need it. Having an over load of iron can be a bad thing, just as being too low can be a bad thing.
    My husbands iron was low and the doctor simply told him to start taking the Geritol brand vitamins which contain a good dose of iron. He now takes those daily.

What You Don't Know About Excess Iron Could Kill You
    Just a little info about Hemochromatosis

A Host of Ills When IronâÂÂs Out of Balance

So as you can see it is really best to get those blood tests done first then with the approval of your doctors do what they recommend.

• Related Discussions

Has anyone tried Beestar or another free education supplement?

Q

Comments (5)
    I just signed up for Beestar and I'm so happy to see my son having some fun while learning online with the math exercises. The math exercises are free and they're the perfect supplement to his online learning through school right now while everyone is home. If we like it, there's a small fee to sign up for other subjects, so we may try those if this continues to go well. Take care everyone!
    ...See More

washed pants with iron supplement in pocket!

Q

Comments (1)
    Try some calcium, rust, and lime remover. CLR, perhaps. I am pretty sure you can find some most anywhere that you can add to your washer. You can always soak it in a bucket, I suppose. They do stink, so be aware. Good luck!
    ...See More

Gentle Iron Supplement?

Q

Comments (19)
    Yes, there is a less constipating form of iron. It can be given as an injection, in the buttocks, every 3 months. It will stain the bottom though and give you another set of 'eyes'. Vigorous walking helps them to fade a little but they never ever go away completely. Many Drs won't perform these injections for fear of being sued. The iron is also absorbed faster than by tablet. If you prefer tablets, if you take them with food it will be a lot easier on your stomach. Interestingly enough, I recently ate a large quantity of Silver Beet and my bowel movement looked exactly like it did when I took iron tablets. (Same colour.) (But not constipated.) I firmly believe in the power of leafy greens for the relief of iron deficiency (and a small amount of red meat).
    ...See More

pin oak in Northeast, when to apply Iron supplement?

Q

Comments (8)
    Hello All! I wanted to circle back after my initial post. I did end up applying the iron supplement tree implacts in late March '19 and the tree has been flourishing ever since the leaves started coming out in spring. So i am very happy with that. This is the first time the tree has looked this good for the entire season. The directions on the supplement say it may need to be reapplied every 2-3 seasons. Any suggestions on if I should just re-apply in spring '21 or should I wait until/if i see any yellowing or signs of the chlorosis again first?
    ...See More
  • marie_ndcal
    9 years ago

Just curious--your Dr. said you MIGHT be short on iron and she is selling supplements? Did you test you? How much are the supplements? I went thru that with a Dr and found, after talking to a pharmacist, I could go better and cheaper with something over the counter. Yes, you can get too much iron, Just use common sense and be on alert. Do your homework. and be careful

• nanny98
    9 years ago

Yes, do be cautious with iron. I an't imagine not being tested if your MD 'thought' you might be iron deficient. Thyroid function is usually related to hair loss.

• chisue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, all. Raven -- That was very convincing.

I'll just wait until I'm home and can have my blood tested for iron deficiency.

The two female MD's started their supplements after finding that so many women coming in complaining about hair loss and bad nails did have iron deficiencies. I happened to see one of them when I was a walk-in with a bad sinus and cough right before we left home for Maui in December. I'm going off now to look for the gals' website. Their product is called "Vous".

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Chisue - It doesn't seem right to me that they would encourage you to take an iron supplement without first determining if your iron count is low, especially since they're selling it.

Have you had a routine blood test lately? Even after menopause your iron count should be within the acceptable range. This is clipped from the American Society of Hemotologist's web site.

........."Iron is very important in maintaining many body functions, including the production of hemoglobin, the molecule in your blood that carries oxygen. Iron is also necessary to maintain healthy cells, skin, hair, and nails."

So it is possible that a low iron count could cause hair problems.

• chisue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just looked at the "Vous Vitamins" website and filled out the form. I am 'prescribed' something containing two things I already supplement (D3 and Biotin) plus an iron supplement.

My guess is that they formulate a minimum (non-dangerous) amount of vitamins, etc., and women taking the supplements DO see improvement. Bet they make a bundle!

*I* am going to do what my internist told me to do: Get tested for iron deficiency. (General tests when I had my physical in August were all fine, but they did not include iron.) Then I will let him tell me how much iron to take...if any. What's a little more hair loss until the end of March? LOL

You are all such *peaches* to offer advice. Thanks.

• ont_gal
    9 years ago

I am so thankful that I came in here otnight and checked out this thread.

I have severe Crohns disease,and as a result have very very little iron in my system..

I have had prescribed pills for it and infusions-turns out I had allergic reactions to both-the infusion reaction was the worst.

I had just stated yesterday that I remember my parents taking Geritol everyday,years ago-now,40-50 years later,Geritol cannot be purchased in Canada.

I called my bio script pharmacy today to see if they could get Geritol for me-no such luck-I did however,find I might be able to get it thru Amazon.

My iron this time dropped off around 2 months ago now-my hair is ok for now,but there is absolutely no energy,I could sleep around the clock,and sometimes do.

What I "do" take to help me out somewhat is a high potency B,a D3 and Vit C in a relatively high dose-I am currently on a Homeopathic iron and will have my blood tested to see if this is working this Wed when I have my next Remicade infusion

Thank you for this thread.....

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

chisue,

If my physician said "I think you should take X supplement, and I can sell it to you", that would be my last visit to that doctor. That's outrageous.

Am I missing something?

• linda_in_iowa
    9 years ago

I believe it is unethical for an M.D. to sell you a supplement. If a blood test shows you are anemic, you could take an over the counter iron supplement or you could add spinach or other dark leafy greens to your diet. Cream of Wheat cereal is high in iron and it you add raisins, that gives you iron. Iron supplements can cause constipation. The iron you get from food does not have that side effect.

• eccentric
    9 years ago

I no longer have to take iron supplements, but when I did, my Canadian doctor told me to buy Palafer capsules from the pharmacy.

They were/are kept behind the counter and the pharmacist asked me if my doctor had told me to take an iron supplement. (He didn't need to check with her since he knew I would tell him the truth - plus those capsules were a pain and if I hadn't had to take them I wouldn't have).

I agree with having your iron levels checked. Mine are checked at my yearly physical and were fine as of Nov.

• pekemom
    9 years ago

Dr has both me and my husband on iron supplements,
    we are 67....

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I have noticed that many doctors offices are now selling supplements of various types. I have not had any of mine suggest that I only go with the ones they offer for sale in the office, but I have had them tell me what I needed to add after my blood work, like D3,and the B vitamins, and iron for my husband, calcium, etc. My current primary care physicians office was adding a shelf in the check out area last time we were there which was being stocked with supplements, not sure what all they will offer.
    I would also be suspect about any that seemed to be pushing their brand especially with out proper testing. Red flags and conflicts...

• emma
    9 years ago

I think hair loss is just aging and/or a gift from your grandmother. I read the results of a study that said women are starting to show signs of pattern baldness like men. They think t is cause by volumizer hair products. I think that would include perms.

To much iron causes teeth to brown in children, don't know about adults.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Tue, Jan 13, 15 at 16:30

• chisue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I first ran into this sales hype from a *psychiatrist* I met socially! Getting a medical degree no longer assures you of enough income to buy a country club membership a few years out of med school. Maybe it's time to *supplement* the old income.

Also, let's face it, Americans are nuts about supplements. Look at the shelf space given to high-profit pills in every grocery store. Evidently some MD's are figuring out how to make something from the constant "Ask your doctor" pitches.

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

Be careful! Too much iron can be dangerous.

Tests showed that I was a little low on iron, I was taking a multivitamin and had assumed ti contained iron. It was labeled for those 55yr and older. Read the label and found it had no iron! I switched to another formulation made by the same company (Centrum) and that did have iron. It is important to examine those labels - don't assume.

From what I've read, its best to get iron from foods rich in iron such spinach. I don't get enough from foods, therefore, the next best choice is supplements.

• Georgysmom
    9 years ago

Years ago I decided to to a vitamin containing an iron supplement. Over a period of time, I was becoming less and less energetic. I use to walk 18 holes of golf and after one or two holes, I couldn't walk anymore. I thought I was having heart problems and went to a cardiologist. He said whatever my problem was it wasn't the heart. Turns out the iron was blocking the absorption of my thyroid medication. So be careful about the inter-action of the iron supplement and other medications you might be taking. As long as you don't take the two pills at the same time, you should be okay.

• cynic
    9 years ago

Iron. Here's something I've had experience with recently. There's so many things so many people do NOT know about iron. For instance:

- Yes, cast iron pans give the food iron. But some things detract from the body absorbing the iron so it's equally important to not prevent the body from using what you're giving it, whether it's a supplement or from food or food preparation.
    - Eggs contain phosvitin and that inhibits the absorption of iron. So do other vitamins. So if you take iron supplements do not take them at the same time as other, such as a multi-vitamin.
    - Other items inhibit iron absorption: Calcium (so watch your milk, cheese and similar intake), tea, coffee, whole grains, excess fiber... and more. Your diet is important to the effectiveness of medications and supplements.
    - Vitamin C, however, HELPS the body absorb iron. So that's something that's good to take with the iron supplement.
    - Many iron supplements will cause your stool to turn black. Blood in the intestines can also, among other things. So know the difference. It can be quite a surprise if you're not aware of it. And when I first saw this after the blood-in-stool issues from before, it's a slap in the face waker-upper. (My GF and sister were about to call 911! LOL)
    - Medications can work with each other or against each other. DO YOUR RESEARCH! Doctors don't know everything, nor do they tell you everything.

• Georgysmom
    9 years ago

Cynic, you are absolutely right about doctors not knowing everything. When I discovered the fact that my iron supplement was interfering with my thyroid medication, it was through a newspaper article. I brought the article in to my doctor to show her and it was something she was not aware of. She wanted to make a copy of the article but I told her I brought it in for her to keep and warn other patients that might be on synthroid.