Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! party tonight...hardboiled eggs left unrefrigerated

Posted by organic_donna (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 4, 09 at 17:31

My sister made hard boiled eggs last night and left them out on the counter all night. Today she made deviled eggs for a party tonight. I read on the internet that hard boiled eggs must be refigerated within 2 hours or they could have salmonella. I told her to throw them out. She's upset because she spent a lot of time making them. Should she serve them anyway?
Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! party tonight...hardboiled eggs left unrefrigerated

I wouldn't- better safe than sorry. Especially eggs.

o

I'd toss them!

o

Probably not. I don't know how old she is, but I've heard that in years gone by eggs were safer than they are now. Yup, better safe than sorry.

o

Eww. I'm not an expert, but I'd steer clear of them. Did she leave them out on purpose, having done so before with no problem, or was it a mistake?

Were they still in the shell when she left them or had she taken the shell off and left them out? I don't know if that matters. I guess I'd just be leary of eggs left out all night (even cooked and whole).

Did she at least refrigerate them after she stuffed them today?

Suzieque

o

Toss em. I had food poisoning ONCE, never again. I am very particular about my food. If something looks strange or smells bad, out it goes.

o

She left them out in the shell to cool overnight. She stuffed them today and then put them in the refrigerator. She's not very happy about me telling her to throw them away. She said she was going to lie down. She's going to a pot luck dinner tonight. This was her dish.
Donna

o
RE Help! party tonight...hardboiled eggs left unrefrigerated

I can understand your sister's disappointment, but I would imagine she'd feel much worse if even one person got sick. Perhaps you could print and have her read this site:

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardboiled Eggs Unrefrigerated

o

I'm weird about food, and I wouldn't eat them. I remember people dying hard boiled eggs for their kids to Easter egg hunt with, and then eating them. Salmonella and chicken/eggs go hand in hand.

o

Geesh...for years we have boiled eggs on Easter and colored them after the kids went to bed...then hid them....they were hid over night and spent a few hours in the baskets before we put them in the fridge...and we always ate them....I'm still here and none of us or our now our grandkids have had even so much as a bad belly over it.

I think "they" throw that crap out to scare people, so they'll run to the store to buy more.

I'd eat them...

I've even left fresh eggs out and put them in the fridge the next day...they've always been fine.

patti

o

I read the info to her from the internet, that's why she went to lie down. She feels the same way that Patti does. But....she lives in a over 55 community and this is a group party. I would not take the chance of some older person getting salmonella and knowing that her hardboiled eggs gave it to them.
Donna

o

I'm with Pattico on this one....we did the same thing with the Easter eggs, and no one ever got sick. I think that the fact that she refrigerated the filled eggs, they should be safe. Just MHO, of course, but I do think we are too frightened of foods now. Remember the long ago days when the soup sat on the back of the wood stove all day???

o
RE: eggs

But the question is.....would you serve them to someone else? What if they get sick. Maybe it was from something else they ate but would you still feel responsible? I would be nervous the entire night.
Donna

o

I wouldn't like to risk making others ill, but I have to tell you a story about Woody and eggs. He sailed in the Bahamas for a year. He took 12 dozen eggs with him. Unrefrigerated, all he did was coat them in vegetable oil and put them in some racks in the bilge. Once a week he turned the eggs. He had ONE egg go bad over the course of the 3 months that they lasted. And no one got sick from any eggs. For whatever that's worth.....

I've also had food poisoning and will cheerfully throw out anything before risking having it again. If I had been on that sailboat, I probably wouldn't have been eating the eggs. I think once you mix mayo with a protein, that's when you start having food poisoning/room temp problems. So the deviled eggs were probably OK, but it's not worth the risk, IMO.

o

I have never had a problem with eggs out unshelled overnite.
I would eat them.

Trin

o

Sorry - I forgot that you'd already read internet info to her. Y'know what? They may be fine. If it were me, I wouldn't serve them to others. But that's me. It sounds as though she has done this before as a normal thing and she's Ok with it. She may be right. Me, I wouldn't risk it.

o

I was thinking the same as Pattico. When we were young, we would dye the eggs a few days ahead of time. They would sit on the counter and then the Easter bunny would hide them before he/she went to bed. The next day mom would make deviled eggs or egg salad with them and no one ever got sick. Ever.

o

"I read on the internet that hard boiled eggs must be refigerated within 2 hours or they could have salmonella."

Salmonella is killed by HEAT. Boiled eggs will NOT have salmonella.

There is no danger.

Salmonella poisoning occurrs if eating raw or undercooked eggs and chicken. The salmonella bacteria exists on the shell and can get transfered to the egg product. Nowdays all eggs sold have been washed or are pasturized in a scald. The danger of salmonella poisoning today is soooooooooooooooooo minimal. By boiling the eggs for the party the miniscule danger is completely eliminated.

Get your info from a reliable source. Any .gov site is good. It will tell you right here that cooking kills salmonella.

http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/dfbmd/disease_listing/salmonellosis_gi.html#6

Here is a link that might be useful: Salmonellosis

o

I agree with the others that say go ahead and eat them.

Not only the fact that we have always left them out for Easter, but think of the fact that they have been boiled for 15 - 20 min. That should kill almost anything. My guess is that the eggs that have caused problems are those that were raw or under cooked.

AND BTW - if someone does get sick from the party - it could be from any number of the foods.
I think people get carried away with all these warnings, you would think that food was just recently invented.
That internet info could have come from anywhere too!

o

dilly-dalley,
I looked at at least 10 websites and they all said the same thing. Cooked hardboiled eggs must be refrigerated within 2 hours. I'm very careful serving food that has been cooked and then left out. I've been sick too many times myself.
I think she left already for the party. I left a message on her voicemail. I told her to bring the eggs and tell the guests that they were left out overnight and it's their choice whether to eat them or not.
Donna

o

Personally, I might take a chance. However, I would not serve them to others, especially elderly people. You have no way of knowing if their systems are compromised in any way.

o

I think it's the mayonnaise that would make them bad to eat if they were left out overnight.

o
RE: hardboiled eggs

Hardboiled eggs need to be refrigerated after 2 hours.

Here is a link that might be useful: eggs

o

I would eat them. I can't imagine them going bad inside a sealed shell. My MIL purposely kept uncooked eggs out on top of a fridge in a hot (not air conditioned) rental house all week. I didn't eat them, but no one got sick.

o

Please give us an update./

o

I am a licensed food manager for my state, and many sanitation food courses were part of my earning my degree. I just took my 4 hour refresher course that i have to renew every couple of years and there are ALWAYS egg safety issues in the course. Eggs are washed and sanitized before being sold for sale, but this is different than pasteurization. You can order in already pasteurized eggs in food service that are hard boiled and that is what my facility does, but there is no way i would ever eat eggs that have been boiled and sat out all night, let alone serve them to the public. The guidelines are no more than 2 hours at room temperature for safety. One of the other problems with this situation is that the eggs were likely handled with bare hands which could contain bacteria that may have grown on the eggs. I do realize people do that with easter eggs and often don't get sick, but to put other people at risk is irresponsible. Of course i am a freak,- at the holidays i have a food thermometer to take temps of everything.

o

The original question posed by the OP concerns Salmonella.

"I read on the internet that hard boiled eggs must be refigerated within 2 hours or they could have salmonella."

They would not have Salmonella unless they came into contact with it after being boiled.

But in that case, there is the possibility that they could come in contact with Salmonella while sitting in the refigerator too.

Or while being prepared into the deviled eggs.

They could pick up E.coli or Listeria, Campylobacter, Staph or any of many other things too from dirty hands.

Eggs are washed at the point of packaging. They should be free of Salmonella. If by some chance they have Salmonella on the shells the heat from boiling them into hard boiled eggs will kill it. If you leave them sitting in the pan they are OK because they are clean and sterile. If you handle them, just use clean hands and a clean bowl in the unlikely event that Salmonella got around the kitchen.

o

If I made hard boiled eggs and forgot them overnight, I would eat them. Just so the shell was not cracked. I think that is the real danger.
Eggs are a tight package or when you color them, they would be colored clear through.
Now that I read this, I might rethink serving them to others, but I would have a nice batch of egg salad for me.

o

I would have eaten them, but might have been on the fence about serving them. If the kitchen was cool - shouldn't be a problem.

I always ice my eggs immediatly after boiling them. I don't want that funky gray layer - so I bring to a boil, shut off and leave in the pan, covered, for 10 minutes. Then I rinse in cold water and put them in an ice bath immediatly.

o

organic_donna, that article also says to "Boil eggs at 160 degrees for 15 minutes......"
i never boil eggs for more than 3 minutes.
when i cook 6 or less, i don't even boil them
i bring them to a boil, cover and let them set for 10 minutes. (Sara Molton method)
i don't like egg yolks to turn 'green'
that article seems outdated IMO

o

Cant you slowly reheat and boil em a little again??? That should do the trick?

o

Donna, I was curious if your sister ended up serving them or mentioned to the party guests what had happened.

o

koda04,
That thread was just one example. All the threads said the same thing. Hardboiled eggs cannot safetly be eated if they are left unrefrigerated for more than 2 hours.
She brought them to the party. The only guests that had access to them were seated at her table. She told them what she did and it was their choice whether to eat them or not. Most chose not to eat them. If it was me, I would have thrown them away.
Donna

o

She could have eaten one to see if they made her sick. We often ate the Easter eggs that were not refrigerated for long periods of time...

o

The problem is if you are going to a pot luck other people are going to eat them. It doesn't really matter if "you" would eat them, or if your grandma could eat them all the time with no ill effect, etc...

You are risking making "other people" ill. I'm sorry to be blunt, but sometimes healthy people just don't get it. Not everyone can fight off everything. What may be easy for you to fight off or give you a little tummy ache could cause major problems for a diabetic, a person with MS, or a pregnant woman. Do you know what being dehydrated from throwing up can do to a diabetic for example? A food does not have to look funny or smell bad to be bad. If you are making food for other people, you owe an obligation to them to make sure it is as safe as can be. Yes, your sister (and 90% of the people there) could probably eat them and be find (and if she's healthy, I suggest "she" go ahead), but there is still that other 10%. It's just selfish and ignorant to serve them to a big group of others at a pot luck.

Tell her to pick up something or make a new batch.

o

carla35,
I agree with you 100%.
Donna

o

I definitely would NOT serve them to other people.

Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't eat them, either.

Sheryl

o

I'm one from the generation that ate Easter eggs for several days and lived to tell about it...but I'm also one of those unfortunate people who has made a long remembered trip to the ER with "real" food poisoning (apple pastry from a vending machine)! I can assure you it isn't pretty and never worth taking the chance! I still don't do pastry out of vending machines after 30 years!

o

The old adage...when in doubt, don't.

Also, in a practical sense, a new batch of eggs is certainly less expensive than a lawsuit or the damage to one's reputation, whether consumer is informed or not.

o

I agree!

o

Maybe I missed someone posting this, but there is another thing I wanted to mention. Eggs that you buy at the store usually have a protective coating on them to help keep them from picking up bacteria, etc... once that is cooked off, they can actually become more dangerous to eat than a raw egg. (Yes, Salmonella would be cooked off but it is VERY rare). What I'm trying to say is... would you eat a raw egg that has been sitting out over night? Do you know which one would be safer for you to eat? Are you sure? Just something to think about.

Again, we know grandma did it, but grandma probably did it often and with a lot of foods and her immune system got used to it -- our systems today (especially because of the perservatives and the over sterilization in most store bought foods) just aren't built up enough to fight off the bacteria that may grow from keeping food out for longer periods.

o

I wouldn't eat a raw egg, but that's beside the point. The issue of salmonella from being left out is a miniscule risk. Proper cooking destroys salmonella. The caveat, of course, is the term "proper". However, cooked eggs are nonetheless a perishible food and can spoil. So for the question of cooking them again, it's kind of like saying what if we reheat the rotten chicken? Now I'm not going to get in the center of how many seconds/minutes/hours/days/weeks/months it takes to spoil.

I know people that leave cooked eggs out and eat them. And keeping raw eggs is much different than keeping cooked eggs. Frankly I'd feel much safer with non-refrigerated raw eggs (if I knew the handling) than non-refrigerated cooked eggs since I would cook the raw eggs anyway. The "Two Fat Ladies" would shudder if someone refrigerated raw eggs!

For me, I would not eat them but admittedly I'm a bit paranoid about eggs and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's my background in retail stores and restaurants and seeing the conditions in which food is kept! I'd rather eat leftover pizza that had been sitting out than eggs. And I don't like eating refrigerated eggs that were weeks old either.

I just think it was really tacky that she was too lazy to do it right so she just went, aw, what the heck! It's one of the reasons I don't like pot-lucks! If I make use of the "five second rule" in MY kitchen for MY consumption, that's one thing. Subjecting others to it is different.

o

Salmonella is killed by HEAT. Boiled eggs will NOT have salmonella.

There is no danger.

Explain to me then why my father was so sick after eating bad eggs, my mother thought for sure he was going to die. He would have thought he was dying, but he was so busy throwing up everything from his throat to his toes for 2 days, he didn't have time to think about dying, just getting to the bathroom quick enough to not throw up on the floor. Trust me, you CAN get sick from cooked eggs.

o

cynic,
You don't know my sister and it's rude to call her lazy. She took the time to purchase, cook and prepare the deviled eggs and was very disappointed when I told her she should throw them out. She is a very kind person and her actions don't equate to laziness.
I think this post has been debated enough. Thank you for all of your responses.
Donna

o

I boiled eggs and colored them for easter,, I left them out onn the counter for 4 days.. when we went to eat them they smelled bad and were slimy.. so I threw them out

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here