Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a lightweight and sturdy and low-cost ironing board?

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 17:10

My ironing board is probably older than I am. Well, maybe not that old, but I inherited it from someone, possibly my mother-in-law. It's metal, and weighs a ton. I want to get something much lighter and easier to carry, but in reading online reviews I haven't found anything that's both sturdy and lightweight--and under $50. Does such a thing exist?

Your recommendations, please!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a lightweight and sturdy and low-cost ironing board?

Iron, who irons anymore? I'm 83 and I haven't ironed anything in years - if it needs ironing, I don't want it. The pants suit I was going to wear to my granddaughter's wedding needed pressing as several deep wrinkles would not come out in the dryer, and my other granddaughter used her steamer to do it.

o

I don't iron anymore. I specifically look at clothing care labels. If an item needs ironing, I won't buy it. I do have a few things in my closet that require ironing. I'll bring then to the dry cleaner for pressing. I remember when we were house-hunting. One of the houses we looked at had a built in ironing board in a kitchen closet.Lovely!

o

I use my iron and ironing board when I sew. It is the extra wide ironing board. Once in a great while I iron, but not much.

Sue

o

Iron, who irons anymore?

People who sew, for one. (See Sue's post above.)

o

I have a good ironing board, so old I don't remember when I got it. It hangs on the wall, in the garage, in a rack that came with it, and has an attached rack at the top to hold the iron. That would be an old Sunbeam steam iron.

In the summer I leave it standing up in the garage ready to use because I still have some old camp type shirts that have to be ironed. I can't find shirts like that any more, so I'm hanging on to them.

What I do need is a new ironing board cover, but I never remember to look for one when I'm out shopping. I guess they still make them?

Sue

o

Alisand, I purchased an ironing board just a few years ago at Walmart. It's plenty sturdy, light weight and sure didn't cost much. I don't use it as much as I used to, and I find it very convenient to set up, unfold, and store away.

I've pressed heavy table linens on that board...can't get a better workout than that!

o

I made a big mistake when I moved and didn't keep my mothers old wood ironing board. What was I thinking. The flimsy one I bought is awful and since I can't seem to figure out how to fold it there it sits in my bedroom. Good luck in your search. Satine

o

I have an old metal one that's at least 30 years old?
I use the floor a lot too! lol

o

I once had a sewing business, I understand that need, what did was get the ones that hang on the door and fold up flat against the door and out of the way. I had one conviently located in the sewing room and one in the laundry room. Since they are out of the way and don't require dragging out and hauling around it is a big win. They have held up great through the moves, got rid of all the other irioning boards.
different models some have iron holder and place to hang clothes.

Here is a link that might be useful: over the door

o

Thanks to Rhizo, I just ordered my ironing board from Walmart. I found one on their site that had good reviews and cost $22.75. Also found a bunch that had terrible reviews, just as I found on Amazon. There must be a lot of bad ironing boards out there! The one I ordered was even made in the USA. Amazing. Thanks, Rhizo!!

Raven, the ones I saw that got the best reviews were the over-the-door models. Unfortunately, I have no doors. :-)

o

Great, alisande! I hope that it works well for you.

o

I place two large bath towels, each doubled, on my kitchen counter and iron there. The extra bonus is that people admire my ironed bath towels :).

o

I had an over the door one once, but took it back as the doors I wanted to use it on were too close to the wall and were facing the wrong way for me to iron.

Sue

o

I have one of the over the door ironing boards and really like it. Our daughter has one of the ones you put in the wall and she loves it. You don't even notice it. She says she would hate to be without it.. We bought it for her for Christmas one year.

o

I'm just putting in my 2 cents worth. I LOVE TO IRON! I iron all my husbands regular shirts and his polo style shirts. I think it makes them look much crisper and newer.

Sorry, I have an old ironing board so I can't help with where to find a new one.

o

Glad to hear from someone who irons! I can't say I love doing it (especially clothing items that require the skill that I lack), but I wouldn't want to be without an iron and ironing board.

I posted above that I followed Rhizo's recommendation and ordered one from Walmart. I may go whole-hog and get a new iron too. LOL

o

I have probably 6 or more very nice irons, some are expensive models, and a few of the small half irons.
I think that my favorite one is the cordless one, you don't realize how much that cord gets in the way till you use a cordless! The base that comes with to charge it doesn't take much room and keeps the iron handy.

o

I iron - I iron all DH's dress shirts and trousers. I've also been known to iron pillowcases if I forget to take them out of the dryer in time.

I really like my ironing board but it is on the heavy side. It's a Rowenta and they stopped making ironing boards a few years ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here