Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banana sandwich

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 16:44

How do you eat yours?

My preference: mayo on both slices of bread, then spread peanut butter on one slice, mash a banana and spread on top of the banana.

I don't like sliced banana's on a sandwich.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banana sandwich

I spread peanut butter on my toast, slice the bananas, get a hot cup of coffee and I'm in heaven!

o

When my GS was a young one, I used to make him mashed banana toast.

Toast a slice of bread in oven
Mash half a banana with little bit of softened butter and sprinkle sugar in it

Spread on toast, return to oven until the banana is nice and bubbly.

o

I've never had one, but I read what was supposedly Elvis' favorite. It had peanut butter, marshmallow creme, banana and something else--I think jelly. I would probably like that if it was grilled.

o

I don't eat banana sandwiches......enjoy them plain.
I do like a banana with peanut butter and a little chocolate on it.

o

Since I have never had one, cannot not judge, but it probably would not be my favorite. I like bananas with cereal occasionally. Not one of my fruits to eat. No reason--just habit.

o

Bananas sliced lengthwise on buttered toast.

o

Never had one, and expect that I never will!

o

I spread the peanut butter on the banana, then spread the mayo on the peanut butter and add a generous sprinkling of chopped peanuts on top. Yum! (No Bread.)

o

My mother used to make them with just mashed banana on bread or toast. No butter or mayo. They were good! I also love peanut butter and banana.

o

banana and pb for me too,Glenda!

o

No thanks! Banana alone, only. Never on a sandwich.

o

Banana, not one speck of brown on the peel. Prefer a bit of green at the ends. Never on bread! Peanut butter on the banana, yes! Nice with a vanilla wafer, but no bread for me.

However, I do love banana bread! That is where all the over-ripe bananas should go!

o

I used to eat peanut butter banana sandwiches every once
in a while. But NEVER with mayonnaise! lol Sounds
not very good. P and B with raisins too! And yes, I
sliced the bananas.

o

Two slices of white bread, spread with mayo, peanut butter on one slice of bread, banana sliced lengthwise on the other slice of bread. Put the two slices together and YUMMY!

I use to have the instructions for what was reported to be the genuine Elvis Presley banana sandwich. I'll have to look around and see if I still have it.

I made them according to the instructions for quite a while; don't know why I stopped.

It was really a "how to" rather than a recipe.

Sue

o

That is an interesting combination Glenda. I like a toasted banana sandwich with just butter and every now and then with Nutella. We used to have a white bread here called Scone bread and that was always the bread I wanted for a banana sandwich that wasn't toasted. Butter the bread, slice the bananas and use the palm of your hand to lightly squish together the 2 pieces of bread LOL that was the best banana sandwich. I also do not like ripe bananas, love them with a green tinge. Even my dog who loves bananas won't eat them when they are ripe. Ripe bananas go into the freezer for banana bread.

o

I've never had the mashed banana on toast. Will have to try that. Its a chilly night here in FL (supposed to be in the 40's.) I'm thinking of making DD (15)-to eat on the way to school in the morning a toasted bagel, then spread with PB and top with a sliced banana, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and broiled till the cinnamon sugar caramelizes.

o

I remembered the Elvis sandwich, but to be sure, I googled and found what I remembered. It was the way his cook made them for him.

FIRST you toast the 2 slices of bread, then you spread the PB on one slice; mash the banana and spread it on the other slice of bread. THEN, you grill it, in butter of course, like you would a cheese sandwich.

Back in the day, I did that many times, but I don't remember mashing the banana, just slicing it.

Think I'll start doing that again. I remember how good they were.

Sue

o

I like the texture of mashed banana vs sliced.

o

Never had a banana sandwich? Doesn't look good to me, especially with the mayo.

I eat one nearly every morning, and once in a while chop up some on pancakes. Or for a snack, I'll slice up a banana and drizzle chocolate syrup on top.

I'm surprised the Elvis sandwich doesn't include bacon! lol

o

oh yea with nutella. never had it but i bet its delish.

o

Just banana with some peanut butter on it or plain, never a sandwich. That really does not sound good to me.

Sue

o

Teresava, when I googled, I saw that some said sometimes bacon was included, but it wasn't back when I learned of it, from a newspaper article, and they were interviewing Elvis' cook, but a black iron frying pan was essential.

If any of you haven't had one, try it. "You'll like it!" Now I think I'll have one for lunch.

Sue

o

like the photo but sliced longways.

o

BTW Glenda, I tried that 1 minute PB sauce and it was great. I just mixed some PB & pancake syrup together, heated it about a min. It would even be good on a banana sandwich.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here