Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with Plastic Coffee Containers?

Posted by suzieque (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 9, 09 at 16:19

Hi -

Ground coffee often comes in plastic jugs with lids now rather than metal cans. Whenever I get to the bottom of one I feel badly about throwing it away and think that I should have some use for it. Then I decide that I don't need yet another thing kicking around waiting for me to figure out what to do with it, so I toss it. I have one sitting, freshly washed and dried (thinking, yet again, that I could use it for something), on my counter, where I left it. Shall I toss it?

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with Plastic Coffee Containers?

I'm glad you asked, because I just emptied one this morning and had the same thought. Great minds! LOL

o

Yes, angelaid! I keep thinking "Oh - that will come in handy for ...", but never can finish the sentence.

o

LOL I have one sitting on my counter too. I usually let it sit there a day or two and then toss it.

o

I buy bagged beans, and grind them at home. No plastic containers.

o

I used one as a feed scoop for the dogs. Ask a friend who has dogs if they want one. They are also good storage for cat food.

o

My husband takes them and uses them to store small things in the garage. Calgary is getting a new curb side recycling program and as soon as that kicks up, I'm tossing in all the plastic coffee cans, laundry soap and softener jugs, bleach bottles............. you name it! They get it all!!! They would all go there right now, but there is nowhere in the city to take coloured plastics to.

o

Put your kitchen compost in it

o
What to do with Coffee Containers

LoL, kathy - I have 6 cats! My little coffee jug wouldn't store much :-) Good thought, tho!

o

I save a few to put broken glass things in, then that goes into the trash and you don't have to worry about someone cutting themselves.

Watching this thread for more ideas though ... cause I use a lot of these plastic containers. I liked the metal cans better - those were great as grease holders.

o

I fill one with birdseed to take to my Uncle in the home. Its much easier for him to pour food into the feeder than hold onto a bag and pour.

I have also poured the grease from my deep fryer into it to throw into the garbage! Thats easy, pour the grease out and I wipe the deep fryer with a couple or three paper towels and toss them in the coffee can too and snap the lid on. **of course cooled grease only**

Scoopable cat litter and snap the lid on....I think it would be easier for some than lifting the big heavy jug...or even scoop out the cat box and toss in a bag and into the empty coffee can and snap the lid on. Bet that would be good in the summer heat! Same with storing dog poop. I know garbage men hate it thrown in a plastic bag and then tossed in the garbage can up here.....if it rains or snows into the container that poop turns to soup and spills on the garbage men.

I wish they were smaller cause I think I could find more uses for them....
I have one sitting my my garbage that I just emptied out 10 minutes ago.

o

I don't drink coffee so I don't know how big those cans are. Are they big enough to use for a Waste Bowl? See Susan's post.

I bought the four pound size sugar just to get the plastic can that is made with the grip on one side. I have two now and keep flour in one and cornmeal in one, in the fridge. So easy to reach in and grab!

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Waste Bowl

o

Sue, I've never seen sugar in plastic cans. Ours all come in a paper bag. I would buy sugar in the containers if they were available here.

o

Why can't they be recycled with the other plastics? What number is it?

o

I thought I would give you an idea: DH gave me one
today filled almost to the top with change!
I cashed it in this morning and to my surprise there was $103.26 in there!!!
I do like your idea, Sue.
Keep me good ideas coming!
Deb

o

I take the ones from work home to recycle. Drove me nuts to see them tossed out.
Birdseed, Plant food, grease, animal food, empty ashtray into. Anything I don't have a lid on, I use them.
I use a marks alot to label them.
If you look on the trash to treasures site here, there are some darling ideas to make plant holders, watering cans etc.

Don't throw them away!!

Trin

o

Our handyman uses them for all sorts of things, so I save them for him.

o

I use them for a lot of things but don't get many. Plus I like a different brand so I still get the metal ones.... anyone wanna trade??

o

I keep kitty litter in my car during the winter, in case I get stuck in the snow. It's really helped me (and others) out a couple times in past years. Maybe you could keep a container like that in your car? Although, I'll feel stupid if you live in Miami or somewhere warm! lol

I like saving change. We have an empty pretzel jar (think Price Club) we filled it up last year and the thing weighed 50 lbs! We made $500 something dollars, but it was a pain to get to the bank!

o

If you have a local Freecycle, offer them there. They, and the metal cans always go, in our community.

I have a few of them for my worm composting. I've sold some worms and gave the worms and bedding in one of these containers, holes punched in the lid. The container can then be used for waste composting afterwards for the "lads."

o

Make some holes in the botton springle a few stones, for drainage.,add some potting soil and start sowing seeds for your summer garden. Such as tomatoes, cukes, melons the list is endless..

o

Here are a few things I have used them for:
1. Used it to hold a ball of yarn when knitting or crocheting
2. Put it under the "tap" of the worm bin to catch worm tea for fertilizer
3. Used it as the popular "garbage bowl" when preparing dinner.
4. Punched holes in the bottom, filled with dirt and used them to start seeds for the vegetable garden

o

Maryanntx, I got mine at Krogers. They don't keep as many on the shelf as they do the bags. I don't know why except that per pound they are a little higher so maybe it doesn't sell as well. I thought the container was worth it. One time I had a coupon and used it for that.

Go to this site and click on products then put in your zip code and it will show where you can get it near you. BTW they call the "cans" canisters. Sounds better. They are yellow, just like the bag.

I only buy pure cane sugar, and always get Domino.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Domino sugar

o

I have one to scoop out the doggy chow
and
we take all the others to
RECYCLING center. Theywon't pick them up curbside, but when we get a bunch, we take them to the center

o

dilly dally, I'm sure they can be recycled, Calgary just doesn't have a bin at any of their recycle stations for coloured plastics. There are bins for plastic bags, glass jars, tin cans, newsprint, magazines and cardboard. Oh and milk jugs and cartons. But nowhere to put the soap jugs or coffee containers. But from what I understand, when our curbside recycling program starts through the city later this year, we can put everything in one container, including those plastic jugs, and they'll pick it up and sort it all for us.

o

Do you do craft work? Store beads & supplies in them, Like some one else said, keep a working ball of yarn from rolling around the floor (and the cats out of it!). Stuff like that.

o

Some interesting suggestions at this website.

I use a few in the garage for storing things.

One is used under the sink to hold cleaning brushes of all types.

For climates that get a lot of snow, I like the idea of pouring a 20 pound bag of kitty litter into several of the plastic coffee containers and keeping them in the trunk.

Here is a link that might be useful: Uses for Plastic Coffee Cans

o

I have reused some as scoops for dog food or ice melt pellets in the winter. I spray painted a few for plants. Some are being used in the shed and basement to hold small items on the workbench. When we both smoked one was filled with sand and used as an ash urn outside. They really are great for storing small items. If you spray paint them they look pretty good!

o

Thunderboltlee, your link won't work.

"Address Not Found

Firefox can't find the server at foo.example.com."

o

I was just at Lee's link.
Its thriftyfun.com type in
Uses for Plastic Coffee Containers

o

When I tent camped, I used them for middle of the night porta pottys.

o

Its so strange that this post is here. I swear not 10 minutes before I came here, my DH asked me what he could do with an empty can. LOL We already have 1 with change, 2 in the dog food barrel and now 1 on top of the pantry.
I am glad to see some more suggestions..

o

Great ideas! There are obviously some very creative minds on KT - but we knew that!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here