SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

It's mid-winter (more or less). What are you reading?

alisande
9 years ago

I always have an upstairs book and a downstairs book. At present my upstairs book is The Woods, by Harlan Coben. I bought it used at the library sale, and thought I'd give him one more try even though I said "Never again!" after the last one.

I like his plots, but his writing technique drives me nuts. If a character is in a tense, fast-moving situation, would he pause for a long, meandering thought about something irrelevant? I don't think so. When Coben does that, it takes me out of the story every time. And his short irrelevant thoughts do the same thing.The editor in me wants to take a red pen to his books, and I wonder why his real editor hasn't done so. I guess it's because his books sell so well just the way they are.

My downstairs book is We Are Not Ourselves, a novel by Matthew Thomas. It was on the NYTimes best seller list last year. I felt compelled to buy it because of all the similarities between the protagonist and myself. She was born two years earlier, we and grew up in the same place. She married a scientist. There are other similarities as well.

I'm finding it somewhat slow going, mostly because I can relate on such an intimate level with so much of what goes on in the book. It can be painful. Also, the book isn't exactly plot-heavy, being more of a literary novel. But it's well written, and I don't want to say any more than that because of the danger of revealing a major spoiler.

So . . . what has you turning pages this winter?

Comments (30)