SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Report from ole joyful ... the CBC addict

joyfulguy
9 years ago

There's a program from 6 - 9 a m Sat and Sun on CBC Radio One called Fresh Air that often has some interesting items.

This morning there was one that told of a technical guy at Univ. of Toronto Dr. Baecker, I think, who's had an interest in helping people with cognitive and conversational disability and seniors become more active socially. His interest was piqued by having a sister who'd been gregarious, outgoing and friendly who's had to cope with MS for 15 some years and who has become increasingly isolated.

He says that it'd be useful for folks who've had a stroke that interfered with their speaking ability who often are ashamed to attempt to speak in a social milieu, so choose not to go out much.

Also for seniors who have either cognitive or speaking or mobility issues so are more or less homebound.

It relates to teaching them how to use some specialized computer apps to help them communicate.

There was another item that I wanted to share with you ... but was listening while in bed, didn't write anything down ... and have a deteriorating memory: I'll blame it on old age, I guess.

Checked their site: In the light of recent difficulties suffered by old-line retailers, e.g. Woolco, K-Mart, Sears, etc. and of Target having just announced that they are closing something like 170 stores in Canada, laying of over 15,000 people ... a person studying demographics, etc. says that many of our population are aging, and people over 50 don't buy much.

But there's some possible brightness to the picture: many of the youth are heavily oriented toward the internet and some are starting businesses ... and on the internet, there's not the need for heavy financing to establish stores, build inventory, hire staff, etc.

He spoke of a young person of 16 who's a sneaker ...

... no ... he's buying high-end sneakers at low price from young people who paid up to hundreds for them ... and have become bored with them ... then adding some paint, decorations, etc. different from the ones they had ...

... and selling them for a substantial markup.

And his business is doing so well that he's figuring on starting with bricks and mortar stores.

Going great guns, he is, it appears.

Check them out at www.cbc.ca/freshair, if interested.

They have a substantial number of interesting programs on several subjects, as well.

Canadians: you may be interested in "The House" that appears for an hour on Sat. mornings at 9. Dealing today with the current problem in the economy, especially related to lower petroleum prices, and some of the political ramifications ... plus dealing with the business of Canadian soldiers getting into the shooting war on the ground in Iraq vs. ISIL the other day.

Note from me: Let's not forget that it was either our Prime Minister alone ... or with cabinet ... that committed our military to that mess in Iraq - for 30 days only ... then took it to Parliament to deal with the extension, currently to 6 mos. ... and none of our military to speak of were even in the area within the originally ordered 30 days ... and it was to be air combat only, with some people on the ground for training only.

Commitment creep, anyone?

ole joyful

Comment (1)