Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for advice - picking up dog hair from floor

Posted by jel48 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 9, 09 at 13:47

I'm hoping some of you have good suggestions :-) What's the best thing you've found for picking up dog hair (long haired dog) from a solid floor (wood, vinyl, tile, etc)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for advice - picking up dog hair from floor

I just posted about the swiffer sweeper, it works great on hardwood floors and dog hair!

o

Bona system.

Last year we had wood floors installed. Everyone we spoke with recommend the Bona system so we bought a kit at our local Ace hardware. I've seen them other place as well.

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Bona

o

I use my vacuum cleaner on my tiled kitchen floor to pick up dog hair.

o

What gwanny said. You guys have me obsessed with that Swiffer Sweeper since I picked it up yesterday. I have more Conway hair on the floor then I do on the dog. I sprayed a little warm water on the Swiffer pad, to just dampen it, and Swiffered up the kitchen floor in about one minute!

Oh, and my mom told me she just cuts an old kitchen towel into the sweeper pad size and uses them instead of buying replacement pads. Just toss 'em in the wash.

o

or you could wrap some packing tape around a pad and use that

o

I love this dry mop from Stanley. I have had it for 29 years. works great on pet hair!!

http://www.stanley-home-products.com/stanley/products/wooluxdrymopcomplete-16285-floors.html

o

For pet hair I would want something disposable. I attach a plain 'ol paper towel to my Swiffer and give it a light spritz of water so it is damp but not soaking. Run it around the room. Picks up hair and dustballs. Then toss it. No hair in washer.

o

I use an electric broom on the Pergo & tile. Have to empty it frequently.

o

I like Don Aslet's microfiber wet/dry mop system. It's similar to the Swiffer, but much better in my opinion. The pads are washable.

Also the absorbent mop pad is great for drying a damp mopped floor.

And of course, I vaccum. But the Scrubbee Doo mop is the best I've found for daily pickups.

We have 8 indoor cats.

Here is a link that might be useful: Don Aslet: Scrubbee Doo mop

o

i have a pet hair dyson and run a roomba couple times a week. once a week i use a hoover hard floor cleaning machine. we have 2 big dogs and a cat w/ mostly tile in the house except for the master bedroom w/ carpet and spare b-rooms w/ bamboo wood floors. i used to use a fluffy dust mop but the hair doesn't stick to it and gave up and just use the roomba for touch-ups. ~ liz

o

Angel, one of my two large dogs has very long hair (it's actually hair, not fur). Plus I have cats. My Dyson vacuum has a setting for rugs and another for bare floors, and I use the vacuum more than anything.

Angel's hair can sometimes look like tumbleweeds in certain spots. For places where the vacuum doesn't fit, I use a hand vac. (The Electrolux my DD gave me works well.) For under the sofa and loveseat, I attach a microfiber cloth to a Swiffer.

o

an ordinary mop,nothing fancy that is dampened will work just fine

o

I use the Swiffer Vac, it's rechargable and works great, has a cup and I can fill that cup with dog and cat hair every day.

On my regular swiffer I use sheets of fleece cut to the same size as a swiffer sheet. Then I wash them in the washer with no fabric softener and they pick up hair and dust as well as a swiffer sheet.

I use the wet swiffers to clean the floors when I just want a quick little swipe, they're too pricey to use for the whole floor. Otherwise, I use Mr Clean in one bucket and another bucket of rinse water to clean the dirty mop head. We have 90% hardwood floors and 3 long-haired dogs and 3 cats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here