SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Cards Against Humanity

alisande
10 years ago

Have you heard of this game? Played it?

It was highly recommended to me by friends who said it provokes hysterical laughter and is always the biggest hit at their game nights. When I looked it up on Amazon I found a 5-star rating and well over 7,000 reviews! I couldn't wait to try it.

It bills itself as "a party game for horrible people," and I was warned that it wasn't at all politically correct and could be quite raunchy. That didn't worry me; although I don't think of myself as a horrible person, political correctness doesn't exactly rule my life, and no one would ever accuse me of being a prude.

So I bought the game and took it to game night this week, and discovered that Cards Against Humanity is not for me. It did produce a lot of laughs, but it also produced some uncomfortable silences. Players use cards with various things written on them. I think a younger (much younger) crowd would have enjoyed some of the pop culture references more than we did, and they also would have understood more of the terminology.

Some of the sexual/anatomical references were funny, and some were just plain gross. A lot of the "jokes" fell flat. But the biggest thing, for me, was that all eight of us had one or two cards in our hands we wouldn't play. There are some things I just will not make jokes about, and my friends felt the same way.

Given that one of the nicest people I know bought this game for her kids in high school and college, I didn't expect to react this way to it. But I can't stand Howard Stern, so maybe I shouldn't have been surprised.

Comments (3)