SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

I signed up for Nomorobo

dedtired
10 years ago

I had heard about the Nomorobo service to block robo-calls before but never signed up. Yesterday they mentioned it on one of the morning news shows, so I decided to investigate. I am usually plagued with those calls several times a day. After reading reviews, I decided to give it a go. You have to have VOIP phone service for it to work. I have Verizon, so it would work for me.

You are supposed to hear one ring and then it stops if it is a robocall. Well so far I have not heard a ring nor have I had even one call in 24 hours. Usually I always have a minimum of four per day. I don't know what happened to the one ring, but I am so glad to be free of those darn calls. It is oddly but blessedly quiet around here.

Is anyone else using it? How do you like it? Do you hear the one ring?

Comments (30)

• YogaLady1948
    10 years ago

Darn we do not have VOIP~~we get so many calls a day, like you 4 or more. We just always screen our calls. Our friends and family know to yell into it 'HEY it's me'. Now we are getting the scam MedAlert one;( We did do the do not call list thing, but it seems that is not working anymore. I hate these calls;(

• chisue
    10 years ago

I wonder why only VOIP can block these calls? Wouldn't we all love to be rid of them? Even if you have caller ID, you still have to go TO the phone to know who's calling.

• Related Discussions

WOW Thanks! I wanted that swap #3-last day to sign up!

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi everyone, seems most are already in one or more Round Robin's, WOW's deadline is today, so hurry up, you'd be glad you joined. GB Bea
    ...See More

When I get back next week I'll start the sign up

Q

Comments (4)
    love the christmas card exchange. have a great time on your trip and i will watch for your post about the exchange. ;)
    ...See More

I'm signed up.

Q

Comments (5)
    I have been updating threads in the Wish List Seed Swap (WLOMWL) Cubit, and some who noticed the changes have signed up for this year's swap. I'm delighted to see such interest this early! It's perfectly okay to go ahead and sign up now, though the sign up period goes through Dec. 5. I'm planning to advertise the swap more in October and send e-mails to former participants. New participants are always welcome too! Here's part of my post from last year in case someone would like more info now: I'm going to host the What's Left On My Want List Swap (WLOMWL Swap) again this year, and I've created a Cubit just for this swap on Cubits.org. Here's a link to the swap: www.cubits.org/wishlistswap You do have to join Cubits and the Wish List Seed Swap cubit, but it's all free with no strings attached. E-mail me at pat46rob@gmail.com if you need help getting there or signing up.
    ...See More

How do I sign up DH as a separate GW member?

Q

Comments (1)
    Click 'Your Houzz' in the top right and sign out, and then click on the sign in button. On the right side of the page it says 'Don't have an account? Join now.' Click that and follow instructions. Also, when you are not signed in, at the end of each thread there is a link that says 'Sign up to comment.'
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That one about the pre-paid MedAlert is incredibly annoying. I got that one every few days. Up until now I just look at Caller ID and if I didn't know who it was, I didn't answer. I figured if it was important they would leave a message. Some days my answering machine would be having all sorts of conversations with the robocallers. Still, unless I had my phone with me, I would get up to see the ID.

The news reprot said that the Do Not Call office cannot keep up with the volume of scammers. Many are from off-shore. If they are blocked one way, they just come up with another. There must be plenty of people who fall for that crap or they would not continue. One time my mom ordered a Slomin Shield alarm system from a telemarketer. We were able to call them off before the installation, thank heavens. She did get a good alarm system from a reputable company later.

Anyway, I'll let you know how this goes. No calls yet today -- woo hoo.

• kayjones
    10 years ago

First, let me say - I do not work for any company, but I'm posting information you may want to look in to:

From vtechphones.com

Thanks to Voice Announceî Caller ID, these phone systems announce the names of your callers over the built-in speakerphones, so you'll always know who's calling��"even when you're in the other room.

Know who's calling without getting up
    Names announced from handset and base speakerphones
    Easily screen calls

• Toni S
    10 years ago

We have a voice announce caller ID apparently but I'd still love to get rid of so many robo calls or send some #'s to be included in the block. I'll be looking into this nomorobo.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So far my mom and friend have gotten through. I did get one robocall, so I reported it to Nomorobo so they can add it to their database. As I understand it, only VOIP has dual line rings. My calls also go to another Nomorobo number and if it is a robocall, it is blocked. I barely grasp this concept, so you may have to do some research. I guess if you get calls from clandestine numbers, you may not want to use this service.

I would not like voice announce. That means anyone visiting would also hear who is calling and then I have to explain. When I had Comcast the number appeared on the screen, but again everyone in the room could see it. I just keep my handset with me most of the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: article about nomorobo

• lydia1959
    10 years ago

Kay I have the phone set you wrote about: Know who's calling without getting up
    Names announced from handset and base speakerphones
    Easily screen calls
    It is not fool proof though.. we often just get the phone number or 'unknown' or sometimes just a location.. we've been getting one that says 'Norfolk, VA'.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Day 2 of Nomorobo. Zero robocalls! Not even the single ring. Usually by this tine of day I have had at least three.

Last night I did get a call from Rachel of Cardholder Services, so we'll see if she gets through again.

So far, so good.

• Hellion
    10 years ago

We have voice announce caller ID on our phone, but also have Century Link Prism and the caller ID comes up on the top of our tv screen.

• fran1523
    10 years ago

Ugh. Rachel from cardholder services. She used to call three or four tiimes a week. I don't have a land line anymore, just a cell phone but remember her. Can't believe she's still at it.

• fiveholetarget
    10 years ago

I also get calls from Rachel from cardholder services. I just block her phone calls with my phone service.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

But Rachel keeps changing her number so her calls used to get through anyway.

I used to have the caller ID on the tv screen, but as I said, I don't like guests to see who is calling me. If my doctor's office calls, I don't want guests to see or hear it. It's just no one else's darn business who is calling. As I said, I just keep my handset with me and glance at caller id.

I also got robocalls early in the morning that would jar me out of my sleep or if I was taking a nap. Sometimes I'd take the phone off the hook, but then I worried about missing calls from my family.

So here we are 10:15 on Saturday morning and no robocalls since Thursday evening.

• sidnee
    10 years ago

I signed up with Nomorobo yesterday and have not gotten a call since then, I will have to call my home number from my cell. Rachel from Cardholder Services has been going in spells of calling me.

The one that I have been getting lately is from "Final Expenses", LOL.

When I get a live one on the line, I keep a police whistle by the phone and use that when appropriate, or I will tell the person to "hold on, there is someone at my door". I then just lay the phone down and walk away, sometimes I have come back and said, "are you still there?" And sometimes they still are hanging on and then I say "okay, hold on".

Sidnee

• chisue
    10 years ago

I suspect the name Rachel will disappear from editions of "What to Name Your Baby Girl".

There should be a way to enforce a ban on these invasions of privacy.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

The thing to consider is that every call that normally goes directly to your phone is now being redirected to somewhere else then back to you, this can certainly be a question about who is getting that information and do you want to risk it. I personally would have to research it deeply to determine what this company is getting out of this, rarely do they do things for free with out some benefit from the action. I have read a few articles asking similar questions. Not saying it's bad at all just would personally like to know quite a bit more about if there's a possibility information could be captured.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

There was an article in this week's Los Angeles Times about the Rachel robo calls and one man's plan to get rid of her. He decided that he needed to take up as much time as possible to motivate the robo company to remove his name from their calling list. So he plays along, gives her a fake credit card number (which he writes down for future reference), and then she puts him on hold to check it. When she comes back to explain that the number he gave was not good, then he corrects the number by changing one or two digits. This goes on with him being as friendly as can be and making slight changes in the "bad" number. Finally, she explains that she will have to hang up or call back another day, to which he replies with enthusiasm that she should call back tomorrow. He will continue with this procedure till they remove his name.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Raven, I did consider that. It certainly is something to think about and I can see why certain people may not want their calls going elsewhere, although every call you make is recorded by your service provider anyway. All my calls are rather humdrum. If I were a CIA operative (I wish!), then I'd be more cautious. For me, being free of robocalls is worth the possibility that my number may be used for nefarious purposes, but what could be worse than calls from Rachel?

If Rachel or her ilk ever get through, I may try the "burn their time" method, but I hope to never hear from her again.

• sidnee
    10 years ago

Raven, your point is excellent and I considered it prior to signing up.

Dedtired, I have not had any robocalls today, I am happy.

Sid

• N4NW
    10 years ago

The originals poster indicated that you must have VoIP (Voice over IP) telephone service. This is NOT true. Most all telephone services are covered by the NoMoRoBO features.

Check the details; nomorobo.com It is free and simple to activate.

• cat_ky
    10 years ago

I am on the do not call list, and it worked quite well for a long time (yes, I have renewed it also), but, it isnt working anymore. Since I do not use my landline, and receive no personal calls on that phone, several days, ago, I pulled the plug on the landline phones and threw them all in a drawer. The relief is fantastic. I would love to just get rid of the whole phone thing, but, my phone company will not do that, unless, I cancel my DSL. Since there isnt any other option for internet in my area, I am stuck, paying for the phone, but, have decided, that at least, I dont have to listen to it. It does show up on my tv, if I should have that on, but, I can live with that. It is kind of sad, that anyone has to deal with all these trash calls. Phone companies, can screen them, but, they seem to not want to do that.

• Sue_va
    10 years ago

I have been on the Do Not Call list since I first heard of it. I don't get robocalls, except from politicians, and they are allowed to do that. I do not have caller ID. Maybe that is why I don't get them?

Actually, I don't know why the DNCL works for me, but I'm grateful for it.

Sue

• phyllis__mn
    10 years ago

I, too, have been on the do not call list since its inception, and very seldom get any calls other than legitimate ones. I do get calls occasionally from Special Olympics, etc., but I don't mind them

• harrich50
    8 years ago

We have been on the Do Not call list for several years. It seamed to work well for some time. But this past year we started getting several robo calls a day.

I heard about the nomorob.com on our local news 2 weeks ago. It is intended to stop annoying calls. It seems that since I signed up for that we have been getting all kinds of scam calls. Has anyone else had this issue?

• Beachmusic 18
    8 years ago

Do Not Call used to work, but is worthless these days. We were ready to just get rid of our landline as we get several robo calls every day, and they were driving us crazy. I hated the idea of just having a cell and carrying that room to room, but it had come to that. Then I tried nomorobo

Awesome! One ring and it's gone I can take one ring, then silence, but the ringing until the answering machine picked up as it did previously, is just plain annoying! Caller ID announces on the TV, but the darn thing is still ringing..

We've had it since May, legit calls do get through, yes, even things like Drs offices and Optum RX (mail order prescriptions). I do check to see who it was calling often, and have yet to find even one legitimate call blocked. My husband and I both feel it's the best thing since sliced bread, and free to boot!!

• User
    8 years ago

Geeze that's crazy to get so many calls like that, there should be something in place legally to protect people from that kind of harrassment. I've never heard of nomorobo service before, we have Ooma and it lets me block calls I don't want.

• Bossy vossy
    8 years ago

what if the drugstore robo calls to advise prescription is ready? will that be blocked. We also get calls from Rachel and lately she's been getting bitchy, warning me this is the LAST time she will call with her super duper deal, but alas, she keeps coming back.

• linda_6
    8 years ago

I've had our phone for a few years and just discovered I do have block on it. So far I've blocked at least 10 calls. Now when those stupid calls come in my phone rings once and the block appears. They will then get a busy signal. So far so good.

• ljoe12
    7 years ago

I signed up for AT&T digital phone service and the next day I got about five rob calls, it continued for several days until I got a nomorobo link. I signed up and have not got any robocalls for the last 6 months. I get the single rings 2 to 4 times a day but no mo robo works

• chessey35
    7 years ago

Our calls have decreased for 8-10 a day to 1-2 in a couple of days time. We have used this for more than a year and it's great. Once in a while, one slips through but mostly they're all gone. Calls that we want to receive come through without any problems.