SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

OSX Yosemite

lucillle
9 years ago

Lured by the promise of more powerful performance I got the free upgrade to OS X Yosemite and it is a nightmare. I don't know a lot of fancy computer stuff, and multiple times a day I'm being told that Safari can't find the server of a particular site. Then, a minute later, it will go through. Ordering a few things from Home Depot this morning was a chore.
I did some research, enough to see that some others are having similar issues with Yosemite.
I hate it, but it is obvious that sooner or later I will have to wade through a bunch of stuff and learn how to do the fixes.

Comments (6)

• susanjf_gw
    9 years ago

lol..I'm so short on computer savvy thought you'd gone to the national park!!! boy do I have a LOT to learn!

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

In my view, there is almost nothing less necessary for a user of a PC or other device to pay attention to than its operating system. The OS is internal and mostly invisible,

Whether Apple with OSX and iOS, Google with Android, or Microsoft with Windows, each has experienced problems when new versions are released. None more or less than another, it's something to expect with all of them.

My best suggestion to you and others is when a major OS version revision comes out, give it several months for the dust to settle before getting it for yourself. Often most of the changes remain under the hood.

iOS 8 came out in the past few months. There were some initial problems users encountered that supposedly have been fixed. I haven't downloaded it yet to our iPad, I'll likely do so in another month or two. The changes to the user experience new versions offer are rarely so compelling that you miss out on something by waiting.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Snidely you are so right. I wish I had waited.

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

PS, any time is a good time to go to Yosemite. It's a stunningly beautiful and unique place.

• sjerin
    9 years ago

Snidely, don't do it yet. My sister just updated all her devices and has had to go to the Apple store to get her phone to work again; she still needs to call about her computer. Ios8 really messed everything up for her.

Edited for spelling error.

This post was edited by sjerin on Thu, Jan 8, 15 at 15:41

• redcurls
    9 years ago

I waited to install the most recent software "update" on my iPad 4 until about a week ago. I'm sorry I did it. I don't know why these software engineers think people love to re-learn stuff.....

I thought I knew better after the original problem with iOS 8. Shame on ME this time! I NEVER had to continually give the iPad a hard re-boot before this. It's a daily thing now. Annoying.