SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foggyj

Lumonsity--- worth it?

foggyj
11 years ago

Has anyone joined Lumonsity, and is it worth the money? It looks interesting that's for sure.
It's a personalized program to enhance/improve one's brain activity. There is personalized testing, and ongoing results kept on your progress. It isn't geared only to aging adults, but it says it will definately improve our memory skills, and exercise parts of the brain needed to help offset dementia. It's $15.00 a month.
I was going to try it for a month. They say you should do the exercises every day, and at the end of a certain time, testing is done again, and there should be improvement.
Just wondering if anyone has done this?

Comments (12)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

I too looked into it because I am a big believer in stimulating your brain often and in new ways to keep it functioning and growing new networks. But I just can't see why it should cost so much.
    We can do much of it on our own by doing different games and puzzles daily to stimulate those neural pathways.
    Try some of these similar sites, you can find more by searching ~ similar to luminosity on google.

Here is a link that might be useful: alternative

This post was edited by ravencajun on Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 13:46

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

some of these I have used before but some are new for me. I have a few good apps on my tablet that I have used for brain exercise.
    free is good

Here is a link that might be useful: brain training

• joyfulguy
    11 years ago

Hi fogbound,

Find yourself (a) new friend(s) who thinks somewhat like you ... but substantially differently, too ...

... and who's somewhat opinionated (and rather argumentative).

Get together from time to time - take him/(her?) out for coffee a couple of times a month ... should cost about 5 bucks per occasion ...

... so you get the same result for about 10/month ...

... with some fun thrown in!

What could be a better deal?

ole joyfuelled

P.S. Find discussion topics at the library - for free.

o j

• foggyj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks raven and joyful. I couldn't justify the cost of something like that, but if it did the job they claim, then no amount of money would be too much! LOL
    Thanks for the links. Also, now that I disabled Java from the computer, I can't get into any programs on Pogo. I used to play pinochle there every day, now I can't get on because of no Java.
    Has that been repaired yet?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

no their patch did not end the problem unfortunately.
    check out fitbrains from the link, you do set up your personal account but as far as I know it's free.

• jannie
    11 years ago

A friend recommended this site, but only the free trial offer period. I wouldn't pay $15 a month. When I had a stroke 12 years ago, I was in a rehab hospital for six weeks. The doctors and therapists there recommended I do puzzles to continue improving my mental abilities. They suggested jig saw puzzles,crossword , word searches and the like. You can find many free in newspapers and magazines. Jig saw puzzles are cheap.

• foggyj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks jannie. I came back to earth, and realized I could better spend the money.
    I am finding it takes longer to do a crossword puzzle as I've gotten older. I know the answer is in there, it just doesn't come to the forefront!

• joyfulguy
    11 years ago

When Sue and I used to do those jigsaw puzles with the multitudinous piecess ...

... she'd find about nine pieces ...

... to my one!

o j

• carol_in_california
    11 years ago

I found a free app for my Samsung Tablet.....keeps track of my previous scores.
    It is called Mind Games and I found it on the Samsung app site.

• chessey24
    11 years ago

AARP has brain games on their site also - haven't tried any but they're there. aarp.com and type in brain games

• foggyj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm old fashioned, and don't have anything to put apps on! LOL
    I have done some on AARP. They are pretty good.
    Thanks.

• jannie
    11 years ago

I don't have anything to put apps on either. Guess I'm stuck in the Stone Age. My daughters were talking about their smart phones and apps. They both do banking and car driving directions on their phones.