SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maire_cate

And they say dogs don't know when they've been bad.....

maire_cate
9 years ago

Most dog trainers will tell you that you should only correct your dog when you catch them in the act of misbehaving and that you shouldn't chide them after the fact.

This morning when I walked into the kitchen my Lab was no where to be seen. She didn't greet me with her usual wagging tail and happy dance. I discovered her in the corner of the laundry room with her tail tucked beneath her. She only goes into that corner when she's scared - like the time my son burned a loaf of bread under the broiler and the kitchen filled with smoke and frightened her.

DH and I started looking around to see if she had done something and discovered that she had chewed a small plastic plant identification tag. She obviously knew she shouldn't have done it and retreated to her 'corner' leaving the evidence - the remaining half of the plant tag on the kitchen floor. She was so adorably contrite that all I could do was give her a big hug.

I'm sure there are other dog owners here who've seen the same behavior with their pets.

It reminded me of this clip from Funniest Home Videos.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Which dog is guilty?'

This post was edited by maire_cate on Thu, Jan 8, 15 at 9:57

Comments (15)