SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patti43

RECIPES Jan. 5-11

patti43
10 years ago

Walnutcreek, thank you for hosting the Recipe post for as long as you did. I know plenty of us appreciate it. I do wish more people would join in. I know there are soooo many good cooks at the KT who must have tons of recipes to share with us.

Do you like the "themed" weeks? I'm going to try something a little different this week. You may or may not like it and I'm depending on you to let me know either here or you can e-mail me. If you have any ideas of how you would like to see them posted OR if you would like to take over this weekly post (hint, hint) also let me know. I'm not a big stickler on insisting recipes be tried and true. I have plenty that I'm going to get around to trying one of these days. I usually say I haven't tried it--just in case someone has a question about the recipe.

Here's what we're doing this week. Did you know that almost, if not every, day of the year is dedicated to some sort of food? Amazing! I thought it would be fun to post recipes based on that day�s food. Is that as clear as mud? This week has a few days that will be harder than others--like tempura.

This week's food holidays:

Jan. 5 - National Whipped Cream Day
Jan. 6 - National Bean Day
Jan. 7 - National Shortbread Day (any cookie recipe will work today)
Jan. 8 - National Tempura Day
Jan. 9 - National English Toffee day (how about your favorite candy recipe--toffee or not?)
Jan. 10 -National Apricot Day
Jan. 11 -National Bittersweet Chocolate Day

I haven't made this and I wonder why!

Panna Cotta (David Lebovitz)

4 cups (1l) heavy cream (or half-and-half)
1/2 cup (100g) sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, or 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2 packets powdered gelatin (about 4 1/2 teaspoons)
6 tablespoons (90ml) cold water

1. Heat the heavy cream and sugar in a saucepan or microwave. Once the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
(If using a vanilla bean, scrape the seeds from the bean into the cream and add the bean pod. Cover, and let infuse for 30 minutes. Remove the bean then rewarm the mixture before continuing.)
2. Lightly oil eight custard cups with a neutral-tasting oil.
3. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a medium-sized bowl and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Pour the very warm Panna Cotta mixture over the gelatin and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
5. Divide the Panna Cotta mixture into the prepared cups, then chill them until firm, which will take at least two hours but I let them stand at least four hours.
If you're pressed for time, pour the Panna Cotta mixture into wine goblets so you can serve them in the glasses, without unmolding.
6. Run a sharp knife around the edge of each Panna Cotta and unmold each onto a serving plate, and garnish as desired.

Comments (11)