hzdeleted_20023316

3-2-1 cake easy ---easy!!!

User
12 years ago

3, 2, 1 CAKE

These individual little cakes are amazing

and ready to eat in one minute! They are perfect

for whenever you feel like a treat without all the fat

and calories that cake can have. Genius idea!

INGREDIENTS:

1 box Angel Food Cake Mix

1 box Cake Mix - Any Flavor

Makes 1 serving.

(Keep reading)

DIRECTIONS:

In a ziploc bag, combine the two cake mixes together

and mix well. For each individual cake serving, take

out 3 Tablespoons of the cake mix combination and

mix it

with 2 Tablespoons of water in a small microwave-safe

container. Microwave on high for 1 minute, and you have

your own instant individual little cake!

KEEP remaining cake mixture stored in the ziploc bag

and use whenever you feel like a treat! You can top

each cake with a dollop of fat free whipped topping

and/or some fresh fruit.

Helpful Tips:

This recipe is called 3, 2, 1 Cake because all you need

to remember is

"3 tablespoons mix,

2 tablespoons water,

1 minute in the microwave!"

TRY various flavors of cake mix like carrot, red velvet, pineapple,

lemon, orange, etc. Just remember that one of the mixes has

to be the angel food mix; the other is your choice.

The flavor possibilities are endless!

NOTES:

The best thing is, you open both cake mixes into a gallon

storage bag, one that 'zip locks' or 'self-seals', or a

container that seals tightly, shake the two cake mixes to

blend and then make the recipe. Storage of mix is simple,

put it on a shelf. No need to refrigerate, since the mix is dry.

Always remember, that one of the cake mixes MUST be

Angel Food. The other can be any flavor.

The Angel Food is the cake mix that has the eggs whites

in it.

Comments (77)

• JennaVaNowSC
    12 years ago

I can't wait to try this too. DH is diabetic, and can have small amounts of sweets but if I bake a whole cake, guess who eats the whole thing?? NO such thing as willpower here.
    Thanks for a great idea!

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

Tried it tonight I used a paper coffee cup. Couldn't believe how fast this cooked,. Vey nice I got lemon cake mix will get a chocolate next time.

thanks again everyon I've sent it to is excited about it

• Related Discussions

1 or 2 'easy' mistakes so far

Q

Comments (3)
    First, tried no-till in order to save work. Compost was not ready by planting time & what I did use harmed or killed the seedlings. Soil had become too acid & plants wouldn't grow until applied lime, late with soil analysis. How would unfinished compost harm plants?
    ...See More

RECIPE: 3-2-1 Cake= fabulous!

Q

Comments (4)
    Yes! I always have several flavors mixed up and DH makes them in the evening sometimes and tops with ice cream for an evening snack while watching TV. And he often fixes them for my 2 grandsons as an after-school snack (he watches them after school). He has add-ins available for them too, like mini chocolate chips, fruit, coffee powder, etc. My favorite is plain old white cake with fresh strawberries mixed in before baking.
    ...See More

3-2-1 Cake - Wow!

Q

Comments (32)
    Jannie I saw that on the Dr.Oz show yesterday. I tuned in because I follow the Hungry Girl cooking show. She always comes up with good alternatives. If I remember correctly a slice of her version of chocolate cake was 170 calories. She used a box mix and club soda. Her cauliflower mac and cheese looked wonderful as well.
    ...See More

? for those who made the 3-2-1 cake

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks. Even made the usual way, there is less carbs than a piece of regular cake, because they always get cut bigger than we need! It's much more controlled this way, at least if you have enough will power to not make more because the first one tasted so good! LOL! Tami
    ...See More
  • matti5
    12 years ago

My favorite so far is chocolate fudge mix. Red velvet didn't have much flavor. I had two servings of the choc fudge, it was yummy! Each serving only has 50 calories.

• liira
    12 years ago

what if you don't have a microwave? Could I do this in a turbo oven?

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

I love lemon, so I'll have to give it a try!

• jannie
    12 years ago

I'm surprised, no oil or egg needed. Oh, I do understand the Angelfood has eggs. Sounds good. I'll try it tonight. DH loves sweet snacks after dinner.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

What an interesting idea. I must try it. .Thanks.

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

what if you don't have a microwave? Could I do this in a turbo oven?

I think it is worth a try anyway see how it turns out and let us know.

• sarahlee123
    12 years ago

I wonder if it would work if I substituted brownie mix for the second cake mix? Any thoughts?

• ruthieg__tx
    12 years ago

We are getting ready to start traveling in our Motorhome and I think this would be so nice to have for quick desserts. I can forsee keeping some canned frosting in the fridge......

Thanks for sharing.

• brightonborn
    12 years ago

Angel food cake has just egg whites...so that is a good thing.

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

Today I got two boxes of Angel Food mix (2.50 each) - there were only four boxes on the shelf - and a Strawberry and a Double fudge (or something like that) I'm going to make up the mixes to have on hand The cake mixes were 1.28 each and I see Betty Crocker has some Sugar Free mixes.
    As I said before the lemon mix was ok but not great /

• saxdiva
    12 years ago

@ saralee123: I tried it with brownie mix, and it works just fine. You might have to give it an extra five seconds in the microwave, but the results were terrific.

Oh, and the chocolate chips that came in this mix didn't hurt, either... :-)

• itsmesuzq
    12 years ago

I tried it with a chocolate devils food cake and it tasted like a souffle! I loved it. I put it in a small pyrex cup and it actually overflowed in the microwave a bit so I'm going to use a bigger bowl next time. I ate it warm and was so surprised. I loved the light but sweet taste. What a treat.

• mamatoad
    12 years ago

I tried it with chocolate cake mix, which was good, but a little bit bland. Next time I'll use the chocolate fudge. I also made one with pineapple cake mix and it was delicious! I used a coffee mug for one and a small Pyrex bowl for the other. Both worked very well and cooked perfectly. Thanks for a fantastic recipe!

• sarahlee123
    12 years ago

Saxdiva, I just tried the brownie mix with walnuts - mmmmmmmm.... Next time, it will be the one with chocolate chips. Whoever came up with the 3-2-1 idea deserves a BIG round of applause!

• liira
    12 years ago

Tried it in the turbo oven. I bought a white cake mix with the angel food mix. It took about 3 minutes in the turbo oven and the top was nicely browned. I brought some in a container to work and use the microwave there, I prefer the result from the turbo oven. All in all a great easy dessert!

• matti5
    12 years ago

I have been wondering about using brownie mix. Thanks for testing it out for us :) I can't wait to try it tonight.

Since the recipe was posted on here a couple of weeks ago it has been my after dinner snack almost every night. Yes, whoever came up with this idea is my hero! And only 50 calories!

• enjoyingspring
    12 years ago

It seems like the chocolate cake or brownie mix is the best. Will be trying it tonight.

• jude31
    12 years ago

I finally got around to trying the 3-2-1 cake. I used Duncan Hines Chocolate along with the Angel food cake. Don't care for the spongy texture at all, but the taste was okay. I have a feeling I will have that mix for a very long
    time.

jude

• bunnylover21
    12 years ago

I tried it with a Spice cake mix and it was very good!

• carol_in_california
    12 years ago

I started out with a cherry cake mix with the angel food and it was really tasty......moist and flavorful.
    Today I made one using a chocolate cake mix and it was dry.
    I will try using some juice instead of water next time.
    Next time I am at the 99 Cent Store I plan on getting some frosting in a can to use with the chocolate one.
    Thanks for posting the recipe!

• matti5
    12 years ago

Tonight I tried carrot cake and put a dollop of canned cream cheese frosting. Very good, but slightly spongy. My favorite is chocolate fudge. I tried brownie mix and found it to be dry.

• smilin54
    12 years ago

I made this just this morning with a chocolate devils food cake. Made it in a corelle mug and when done, the mug was about 3/4 full. Turned it out on a plate, put some cream cheese frosting on it & a bit of strawberry. It was VERY good.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• nodakgal
    12 years ago

Tried it with white cake, whipped cream and strawberries! Yum!
    Tried it with strawberry cake mix,whipped cream and strawberries! Double yum! LOL

I did find in my microwave I need to put them off center, and only set it for 50 seconds, a minute was too much and made a brown spot in the center of the cake that was hard. We still ate it though! LOL 50 seconds was perfect!

• kacram
    12 years ago

it is spongy! we laughed at it! lol but it's not unlike the spongyness of the angel food cake. The holes are just bigger! lol I used orange cake mix and with the 2T of orange juice... yummy for just a little sweet thing! lol

• joann23456
    12 years ago

I'm with Jude 31, didn't care for the texture. Fortunately, I used a butter cake mix along with the angel food (I love butter cake!), so I think I'll make up a bunch of them and serve them with strawberries and whipped cream. They should taste fine that way.

• User
    12 years ago

I bought my mixes today, I will be trying it very soon.
    I bought devils food cake.

Did everyone ice their cake? Are you using a coffee mug or what?

• dollydolots
    12 years ago

Has anyone tried baking these in a flat bottom ice cream cone?
    I think these would be great, topped with frosting.
    Dolly

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    12 years ago

I used a clear glass small flat bottomed baking dish that the sides were tall enough for it. I made the lemon one twice and then passed the bag of mix on to Amber. I have not mixed up anymore but plan to just use a yellow cake mix and then add things to it. I don't think I would like mine in an ice cream cup, but that is just me. I have not put any frosting or anything on the ones I baked, but plan to when I get around to it again. I thought they were very good.

Sue

• nodakgal
    12 years ago

Joanne, I made mine in what I think they call custard dishes?
    sorta like this, there are clear dishes, amber colored dishes, but all about the same size.

Here is a link that might be useful: small cup/bowls

• gemini40
    12 years ago

Thanks Thistledew for posting this delicious little recipe.Everybody that I told about it has loved it, bravo..

June

• hayri_gw
    12 years ago

Loved this using carrot cake. Also added the pulp left over from squeezing grapefruit & oranges. Yum!!!!!

With only 2 of us plus I can get bored with the same flavor all the time, I'm going to measure differently! Will empty AF into a bag by itself. Then empty different cake flavors into their own separate bags. Then we can use 1 1/2 tablespoons of AF & 1 1/2 tablespoons of desired cake mix & continue. That way we can have a different flavor each nite.

Can't wait to try brownie, pineapple, lemon with lemon zest and juice instead of water & whatever looks interesting.

Thanks so much for sharing this

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

hayri, that's a really good idea...I was going to suggest to mix it in half but I like your idea much better! I make a flax meal muffin for the microwave all the time and it works great...one minute in a coffee cup is perfect. I'm anxious to try this but I don't have the AF mix yet! I had wanted to make the other coffee cup cakes but I'd always heard people say it was too much egg so I just skipped it.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    12 years ago

I just mixed up the yellow sugar free one with the two part angel food cake mix and baked it with two tablespoons of diced peaches in light syrup. It was really, really good. Some Cool Whip on top would have been very good also.

Sue

• patti43
    12 years ago

I went to the store yesterday. Publix had a BOGO on Duncan Hines cake mixes, but it didn't apply to angel food, so I got a coconut and a lemon. Then I looked for an angel food mix and there wasn't one to be had of any brand.

I think the KT must have a lot of Florida lurkers!! ;-)

• pump_toad
    12 years ago

Hayri- . Actually, I was thinking along the same line last night. I made chocolate fudge with the AF and since there is only me I am getting tired of it.Great idea. Thanks.
    Lois

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

This cake is going around and is on Pinterest too which is very popular. That's probably why AF cake mix is hard to find. The distributors are probably scratching their heads wonder why the sudden demand for AF cake mix...HA!

• woodie
    12 years ago

Patti, I couldn't find angel cake mix in my Pathmark last week or this week either! But finally did in another store - I sent to my granddaughter in college and look forward to when she receives the package and tries it.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

I pinned it on Pinterest and it's huge there. Have not tried it yet but my daughter gave me a mix last night with chocolate cake/angel food which I'll try before I buy my own flavor.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Blast from the past! Do y'all remember this? I was searching for something on Google today and for some reason this popped up. I remember making a few of them.

• donna_loomis
    7 years ago

Not only do I remember it, but DH still makes one or two a week for himself. He's an awesome cook, but doesn't really bake. Until we discovered the 3-2-1 cake. We always have at least three types mixed up and he'll make a cake and top it with ice-cream for dessert.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    7 years ago

I thought the chocolate needed more flavor, so I added 4 or more tablespoons of cocoa powder to the zip lock bag of cake mixes.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

I just ran across this...I'll be baking tonight lol. Yum

• phyllis__mn
    7 years ago

Well, I remember this, and that I made it. But I've forgotten whether I liked it or not, so will just have to do it again!

• marylmi
    7 years ago

I forgot about this cake but will be putting the cake mixes on my grocery list.! Glad it was revived!

• lisa_fla
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Shhh- sometimes I just ate the batter without baking!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Lol Lisa and what's the problem with that? Hiding my spoon...

I will have to do a couple of these. We don't have sweets much because of diabetes but our numbers have been so good lately we may celebrate.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Don't eat the batter..actually don't eat any raw batter. Theres been a strain of nasty E Coli in flour and products containing flour going around the country. Been quite a few very sick people.