SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

Movie--Into the Woods

socks
9 years ago

Anyone else see this movie? What did you think?

In most ways I liked it but thought it could have been better. It's always good to see Meryl Streep and Johnny Depp! She's a great witch, he's a great wolf.

Comments (14)

• emma
    9 years ago

If it is the one I saw, I watched it to the end but it is not something I would watch again. I think I gave it away.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

If it's true to Grimms (doesn't their name just say it all?), the end of their "fairy tales" are always gruemsome. So don't worry about giving it away Emma.

;)

• suzieque
    9 years ago

Isn't it brand new, just released?

• Georgysmom
    9 years ago

Yes, it is new but the play has been on Broadway for many years. I found the play delightful and am looking forward to seeing the movie.

• alisande
    9 years ago

Friends (avid moviegoers) saw it, and gave it the same so-so review, Susan. I read an online review that said the producers made a mistake in assigning it a rating that encourages families to view it together. He said the movie is too dark for PG-13, or whatever it's rated.

• Granlan_TX
    9 years ago

My son saw it on Christmas Day. He said it was a good movie, but the longest one EVER! :)

I've also heard not good for young kids.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I think PBS showed the original Broadway version a long time ago which was superb.......seeing a sub par version will only ruin it for me....I'd rather watch the original version again. Same reason I couldn't watch the recent Sound of Music and Peter Pan TV productions.

I finally watched the movie version of Les Miz, and I thought it was well done, but still didn't hold a candle to the original Broadway version.

• emma
    9 years ago

I watched mine a year or so ago, so this must be a remake. If I remember right it was about a boy who ran away from home. He went into the woods where he saw wild animals that he could communicate with.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Oh no. Not the same. This one has a witch, cinderella, rapunzel, a baker/his wife, the wolf...

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

EmmaR, you might be thinking about 'Into the Wild' by Jon Krakauer, which was made into a movie. In the book, I don't recall the young man communicating with animals, but it had a very sad ending.

• Hellion
    9 years ago

Did not see this yet. We opted to see Homesman with Tommy Lee Jones and Hillary Swank and I thought it was really good with superb acting.

• secsteve
    9 years ago

We saw it New Years Eve and loved it.

Since George and I had seen it on Broadway we were a bit apprehensive about the movie. We were very happy by all the performances, the location etc.

Was really great to see a show that hadn't been butchered just to make a ton of money using special effects etc.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Both daughters are HOT to see this movie. They had a huge family outing all planned for opening day. DD1 recently auditioned to be in a local production even. They were so bummed it is in limited release and not available within an hour of us. One would think with two theaters playing 12 movies we would have room. I am not a Meryl Streep fan so can't say I am in a hurry to see it. "They" are saying it has been nominated for two Golden Globes, if that means anything. It is a truer version of the original Grimm tales, and yes they were not for young children. This play has been around for years and I would guess it's popularity was the inspiration for the recent serial TV shows that are a compilation of many fairy tales. As always I will wait for the rental. Well I guess almost got to the movies last year. LOL

• chisue
    9 years ago

I don't know if we will watch this, and knowing this wouldn't ruin it for us anyway...so tell me what's happening when I see the trailer showing Streep looking at her hands. Has she just been given a *manicure* by the pretty young blond girl?

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022