Return to the Kitchen Table Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is your favorite food to serve with gravy?

Posted by lindalou (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 8:34

other than roast chicken & roast turkey what is your favorite meal to serve with homemade gravy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is your favorite food to serve with gravy?

Fried chicken and mashed potatoes or Beef Manhattans, that is crock pot cooked beef with seasonings, with home made gravy and mashed potatoes and it is all on a slice of white bread.

Sue

o

Two of my favorite meals are hot open face turkey or beef sandwiches, both heavy on the gravy,please!

o

Biscuits w/sausage gravy!

o

Gravy can make any food my favorite. But I do loooove sausage gravy!

o

Definitely fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy!

o

Gravy is a staple...I like mashed potatoes with gravy best but my husband likes rice and gravy.

o

I'm not a big fan of gravy--especially turkey/chicken gravy.

I do like creamed dried beef or pepper gravy or sausage gravy--served over toast, or biscuits or Eng. muffins or made into a casserole with pasta or potatoes. But that's not really gravy, is it--it's really a white sauce.

If I had to pick a meat dish with actual meat gravy? It would be hot roast beef sandwiches, served over kaiser rolls that have been spread with horseradish cheese.

o

Fried chicken livers. Not popular, I know, but I love it, to which my huge thighs can attest! I make the most awesome sausage gravy. Only once a year, and it's my Christmas gift to brother in law.

o

Gravy itself is a meal, isn't it? Tee hee!

I love gravy. I can eat it on bread, potatoes, rice, noodles, vegetables, you name it.

Dances.

o

Tater Tots LOL.

Seriously, I could take or leave gravy for the most part on poultry or meat, but when I was young we used to go to a local diner and order either French fries or Tater Tots with gravy and that is still my favorite application of gravy.

o

Are we talking white gravy or brown gravy?

I like white gravy on mashed potatoes, bread or hominy. Brown gravy on mashed potatoes.

o

I can eat gravy on most anything. I have a soft spot in my heart for french fries with brown gravy. Poutine would be a dream dish for me (cheese curds, brown gravy, french fries - *sigh).

But probably my all time favorite is braised brisket in mushroom gravy with either egg noodles or mashed potatoes.

My husband makes a killer SOS (similar to sausage gravy but it's a little different).

o

Just the thought of gravy makes me drool! Like Sue, I like it on a beef (or turkey) Manhattan and over mashed potatoes with fried chicken. It doesn't get much better than that, especially if there are little crunchy pieces in the gravy from the bottom of the pan. Also sausage or dried beef gravy on biscuits.

At Thanksgiving I make a lot of gravy and put it over the turkey, potatoes and dressing.

Gosh, Lindalou, now I'm hungry!

o

Brisket or Eye of Round with gravy.

o

red eye gravy on grits

chicken fried steak and white gravy

same with fried chicken

good brown gravy withi roast beef and pork

sawmill gravy on homemade biscuits for breakfast

chocolate gravy on homemade biscuits

o

white gravy (lots of pepper) with fried ham and mashed potatoes.

oh boy did my grandma make the best!!

o

pot roast with mashed potatoes and gravy.

o

Glenda, I saw "chocolate gravy on homemade biscuits" and I said, they're Southern! I had never heard of this until one Christmas, my sister had been at her in-laws in Pulaski, I think, and I'd been at my in-laws in Lawrenceburg. We just looked at each other and said? Southern/Middle Tennessee thing? But I've seen it since with other people--still in SunDrop (Southern middle Tennessee, Northern Alabama) territory, though.

o

Give me Gravy on my mashed potatoes!!! Roast beef gravy is my favorite...but I love almost any kind of gravy on anything. Gravy bread is another favorite!
Joann

o

ok see that Cajun in my name.... well then naturally my answer is rice and gravy! oh yes, I love my rice and gravy. Growing up I had rice and gravy with supper every night and often we had it at lunch in the school cafeteria. I absolutely love roast gravy and rice, especially pork roast gravy , and brisket gravy.
one of my sisters makes the best pork roast and gravy in the world and my other sister makes the best brisket gravy. When I go home to visit they know what I will want. lol

Yes indeed chocolate gravy and cat head biscuits, one of my grandmothers specials, have not had it in years.

o

no gravy for me either. Maybe a couple tablespoons at
Thanksgiving to dip a little turkey meat into.

o

I'll put gravy on anything!

o

I'm putting a sweet potato in the oven in a few minutes. For dinner I will have it with sausage gravy, one of my favorites, but gravy over anything is great.

My DM made chocolate gravy, when we were kids, a SC/NC thing. I have never made it; don't know why.

Sue

o

We have a deli here named The Chocolate Biscuit, cause everyone has a buttered biscuit split and covered with chocoate gravy for dessert. Normally shared with a friend :o) just do cut down on the calories lol

o

A local small restaurant (just closed yesterday after 81 years, so sad) had the most delicious skinny fries and gravy. An old fashioned, retro kind of restaurant, but loved by many. The woman who primarily ran it (took it over from her parents) worked there since 1942 and thought it was time to retire.

o

I make a great gravy with pork roast, and beef pot roast, I like roast beef gravy on cottage cheese about as well as I like it on potatoes :) And thats quite well.

Always am the one called on to make the gravy for the turkey at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I don't exactly call it gravy, but once in a while I make a white sauce, add chipped beef and have that on toast. My elderly neighbor does the same with crab, creamed crab on toast.

Rob, do you have time to give your sausage gravy recipe? I've never made a sausage gravy, don't think I would make it often but it would be nice to know how, I've certainly seen it with biscuits on enough breakfast menus.

o

No gravy or cream sauces for me~~~

o

my mom made chocolate gravy and biscuits for us when we were children...in Washington state, and she never lived in the south. Maybe she got it from a cook book or a friend. She did like to try different things. Funny, I haven't thought about that in forever. Now, I'll have to look up a recipe for it...

o

Here's recipe I use for chocolate gravy

Chocolate gravy
1/3 c sugar
1 1/2 TBL all purpose flour
1 1/2 TBL cocoa
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 c butter
1 tsp vanilla

Mix the sugar, flour, cocoa together in cooking pan.
WHISK together the milk, water with the dry ingredients. Bring to boil over med heat.

Boil stirring often until thick and bubbly
Stir in butter and vanilla
Serve over homemade biscuit halves OR waffles, OR pound cake OR ice cream

o

I love beef gravy. I generally roast a chicken and don't make gravy, or make chicken with 40 cloves garlic.

But a well-done roast beef with lots of gravy, mashed potatoes, broccoli is absolute heaven. Bread and gravy for dessert! :)

I don't make fried chicken, even though I would love to eat it, and would sure never think that gravy would go with it.

o

i've made sausage grav by crumbling pork sausage,rendering the fat(discard some if too much)cooking the flour in the remaining and add warmed milk...i never measure...

was so dissapointed when we went for chicken dinner in frankenmuth mi, and they had canned gravy!

o

Gravy with potatoes.

o

Mor, it's basically a good white sauce using cooked sausage as the base. I brown the sausage real well, for lots of flavor.

o

That's what I was wondering. If white gravy was really
a white sauce made with butter and flour. And chocolate
gravy sounds basically like a home made hershey's
chocolate syrup! lol

o

I just realized no one's mentioned red gravy (spaghetti sauce, basically) on this thread. Is that a S. Jersey, Philadelphia thing? Very common term around here.

Now, as far as that goes, I'd have to say I like it over Ravioli or tortellini.

o

We seldom eat gravy of any kind, but once in a while I will make fried chicken breast cutlets with cream gravy .Yum!!

o

mashed potatoes. i used to eat french fries and gravy back in the olden days. what i hate is restaurants that serve mashed potatoes but have no gravy. disgusting.

o

I know one thing, when I go get groceries roast or brisket will be coming home with me, maybe both! I will be having rice and gravy!

o

I'm with the minority here. I prefer no gravy most of the time. I like to be able to taste the meat/dish itself. To me, the gravy would take that away.

Although, I do like the green chile (the creamy kind) on chicken enchiladas but sparingly.

o

Roast beef with yorkshire pudding!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchen Table Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here