SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleeperblues

$626.00 later....

sleeperblues
9 years ago

My pups all have fresh breath, albeit without some teeth. I took them all in for dental cleanings yesterday. Dusty and Masha (mini poodle and standard poodle) were good. Dust had to have one tooth removed and Masha was perfect! Not bad for a nearly 14 year old dog. But poor little Penny, who I adopted last year, lost about 6 teeth and needs to be on antiobiotics for decay. She had the worst breath! Now I can't smell anything. I am so mad at the previous owners because they totally neglected her. She's a bichon and the cutest thing ever, and she loves me totally. When I adopted her a year ago the shelter had taken in her for a teeth cleaning and pulled some at that time. I guess I should have known something was up with her by her bad breath. Oh well, I'll keep a closer watch now. It was expensive, but well worth it.

Comments (15)

• Georgysmom
    9 years ago

Poor thing. She will not only smell better but I'm sure she feels a lot better, too. Owning a dog can be pretty expensive and you have to triple that expense. They're lucky to have you.

• nicole__
    9 years ago

Poor baby......but furbabies need our care. Glad she has you and you have them all.....:0)

• socks
    9 years ago

Ouchie! That was a hard hit, but such a help to the dogs. They are lucky to have you caring for them. My vet told me anaesthetic cleaning would be over $300 for one dog with extra charges for extractions or other procedures. So maybe the price wasn't so bad for 3 dogs.

Would the non-anaesthetic cleanings be possible? They are cheaper. Also dental chews, and if you can possibly brush their teeth, or even one of the pups, that helps a lot. I do it for my dog, using CET poultry toothpaste (he loves it) with a cheese treat afterwards for good behavior. Start slowly, maybe with tasting a pea sized glob of the paste at first. Sorry if this is TMI, but I'm so pleased with my dog's teeth and avoiding those horrible dental bills.

• alisande
    9 years ago

I'm not surprised she loves you totally. When we rescue an animal, they know it. So devoted. You're a good mama, Sleeperblues!

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

While it may seem like a big bite was taken out of your bank account (sorry for the pun), similar services where I live could have been that much for each dog. Before any dental work is done, anesthesia alone can be many hundred dollars per dog.

Dental and mouth infections are painful and malodorous, I'm sure you're both happy the problem is on the road to being remedied.

• sleeperblues
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not complaining about the cost--Iknow that was really reasonable. They are worth it to me! I have tried brushing their teeth, but with the older adopted dogs it's not possible. I've tried but they had too many years of neglect. I'll just make sure they get their cleanings regularly.

My DD lives in Krygystan (teaches at an American school) and she adopted a puppy. She got the dog spayed a couple of weeks ago-what a horror story. She said it took 3 hours and the dog kept waking up and whining. She could actually hear it in the waiting room! Also, they didn't have any kind of a cone and she had to make one out of cereal boxes. And now the stitches are breaking loose. I told my Vet about her experience and thanked him for the excellent care he provides to my babies. I feel like I'm the lucky one.

• amicus
    9 years ago

Wow, I think I could air ship my dog to you, have you get her dental cleaning done and send her back to me for less than what you paid, lol! I live just outside of Toronto and was quoted $750 to have our dog anesthetized and teeth cleaned, with a higher price if any extractions are needed! My friends with different vets are paying between $700 and $800, so mine is right in the range for this area. I was wondering, will Penny need to be on antibiotics to prevent decay forever, or just until the extraction sites heal?

• ruthieg__tx
    9 years ago

John buys Milkbone Brushing chews for Mollie to chew between cleanings and he says he can really tell a difference since he started using them..

Here is a link that might be useful: brushing chews

• socks
    9 years ago

Oh, and don't forget, many times the vets want to do blood work before the anaesthesia to make sure everything is ok with the dog. More expense.

One thing to remember is if you ever have any type of anaesthetic procedure done, ask the vet if dental work would be appropriate at the same time.

• Alice_sj
    9 years ago

So glad all the kiddos are doing well, and will be feeling better with clean mouths!

We take ours to a veterinary dentist, so we pay more for dental procedures. However, she is wonderful, takes before and after photos (and gives us copies), and treats them extra special. Just before Christmas, we took 3 in and the total bills were about $2000 for 3 exams, 2 cleanings (with blood work), 1 gum trim, and 1 extraction.

• redcurls
    9 years ago

After reading the reviews on those Milk Bone Brushing Chews, I don't think I'll order them for my dogs! I think out of the first six reviews I read, five of them said it made their dog sick. I was interested up until that point. Guess I will continue to brush....

• sleeperblues
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my, I knew my charges were extremely reasonable but I didn't know how reasonable! I live in a small town in northern Wisconsin and it is a rather modest clientele, at least the year round people. Big resort area so our population probably quadruples in the summer months.

Picky, the vet wants to try Penny on a course of antibiotics for 1 week of each month to keep her decay in check so I think we'll do that. I also bought some stuff to put in their water bowl that is supposed to help with mouth bacteria too. It is just so nice to be able to kiss her little face and not gag from stinky breath, plus she sleeps curled up by my head at night.

• amicus
    9 years ago

sleeper, I'm glad the antibiotics will keep the bacteria in check and I'm sure it's nicer to be able to snuggle your dog close, without holding your breath, lol!

• amicus
    9 years ago

oops, double posted.

This post was edited by pickyshopper on Thu, Jan 29, 15 at 17:14

• suzieque
    9 years ago

Don't forget that bad teeth can also lead to kidney disease. It's not worth it! Keep up with the teeth-work. Kidney failure is bad.