SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_va_gw

Not a "good day in the neighborhood"

Sue_va
9 years ago

Not a "good day in the neighborhood" yesterday. It was a gloomy rainy, freezing day.

At about 11 a.m. the County Sheriff's Office Deputies and Investigators responded to a 911 call that involved a shooting at a local nursing home. At the same time city police were called out to an accident. Also at that time a family friend of ours was on her way to meet the ambulance that was transferring her mother from the nearby hospital to that same nursing home, to be admitted for rehab for her recent hip surgery. The ambulance had to turn around and go back to the hospital with the patient. Not a good time to admit a 93 year old lady.

The accident was a few miles away; an SUV and a small car collided because the SUV driver did not stop at a stop sign. The driver of the car died at the scene and the passenger in that car, and the SUV driver were taken to the hospital, which our friend had returned to.

All this happened within probably a 10/12 mile radius. The shooting is thought to be a murder/suicide; an 83 year old patient and her 84 year old husband. There will be more details released today.

Sue

Comments (5)

• casey_nfld
    9 years ago

How sad that it would be a murder suicide - no idea what these poor people were going through. Time for assisted suicide I say, let people die with dignity.

• wanda_va
    9 years ago

How sad! There was a time when I thought that 83 was old...but my thinking has certainly changed over the years. My father will be 93 in May, and he is still healthy and active--and travels all over the world!

But I do agree with casey about assisted suicide. If people want to die with dignity, it should be allowed, IMO.

• marie_ndcal
    9 years ago

Sorry about all the bad news. Hope your day gets better. We never know how people feel after living either in a nursing home or assisted living home. I have changed my views a bit after moving into mine. I try to be more patient and try to greet all with a HI and smile. It does make a difference here.

• Sue_va
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is still an ongoing case The names have not yet been released to the public, and the bodies were taken for autopsies today.

A clinical psychologist broke down the mental processes that happen in other cases of elderly spouse murder-suicide. It is primarily men who are the attackers, and typically, a series of extreme feelings and non-logical thoughts may lead them to believe attacking their spouse to be a mercy kill. They are feeling desperate...hopeless,They believe no one else can take care of her as well as they can; she will be suffering without me and that is why we both must die.

Our friend was admitted to the nursing home on Saturday evening.

Sue

• joyfulguy
    9 years ago

I think that in a number of cases it's an agreement between them, but haven't any references to back up my story.

ole joyful

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH