SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aunt_audrey

winter projects

What do you do during the winter months to stay busy? Quilt, knit, paint, bake, read or what?

Comments (31)

• Lindsey_CA
    9 years ago

Knit! An easy way to stay warm is to knit blankets!

• wantoretire_did
    9 years ago

Crochet, Netflix - a good combination :-) Just finished Blue Bloods and Killing binge watching. And, crochet blankets which lay across lap and legs to keep warm. Propane here is nearly $5 a gallon, so we are really cutting back temps, wearing heavy sweaters and fuzzy sox.

• Related Discussions

Winter projects?

Q

Comments (7)
    Just keeping warm and waiting for the sping thaw. Was amused to see that the Governor of Ohio declared an emergency due to shortage of Propane gas here. Coincidently I got my winter fill up today and asked the driver about the shortage. "What shortage?" Maybe our Gov. has been reading the "Gov. Christie handbook." What he did was "waive" certain CDL rules allowing drivers to drive longer or more miles in order to bring in Propane. I thought CDL rules came from the ICC and states can't change Federal laws? Also, glad he's taking care of us by allowing the folks driving the big propane tankers to drive more and longer than usual...:-) Silly season in January? OOPS, DIDN'T MEAN TO POST THIS HERE. SHOULDN'T CARRY ON TWO CONVERSATIONS AND BE ON COMPUTER. SORRY....:-( This post was edited by exmar on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 20:10
    ...See More

indoor winter projects 2012

Q

Comments (47)
    I'm hurrying as fast as i can! Not quite half way through - Nynaeve has just gotten Lan's bond from Myrelle. As i read, i'm finding that there are parts of it that i barely remember, almost as if i hadn't read it. Weird. And other parts i remember well. And i've been going to the computer more and more for theories and speculations - names on the Black Ajah list, where the darkfriends are, is Verin Black Ajah? We now know she is, but in the thread i read, everyone said she couldn't be! This was from a few years ago, though. Anyway, enough posting and more reading!
    ...See More

Puzzles, winter project

Q

Comments (3)
    Wow! Nice job! I would have gone blind trying to do all of those dark areas, especially since they adding in that purple car.
    ...See More

winter projects

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi rox! Gorgeous, great job! My Jeannie M. is a tall one, but kind of lanky, so hopefully before long, yours will fill in the space for you. I love the air plant/sea urchin jelly!! I made some of those as well. So cool!
    ...See More
  • grandmamary_ga
    9 years ago

Read, read, and read. I watch tv, cooking shows mostly, some comedies. Our heating bills haven't been too bad. Stay warm
    Mary

• kayjones
    9 years ago

If I am forced to stay indoors due to weather, I clean house and bake, watch a bit of t.v., play on the computer or work on a painting. It's hard to keep me inside, though. I usually have a jigsaw puzzle I'm working on, too.

• monica_pa Grieves
    9 years ago

Crossword puzzles, we print 2 copies of the NYtimes one in the newspaper, and I go to www,inlinecrosswords.net to print out the 7 new daily crosswords.

• FlamingO in AR
    9 years ago

Read, sew, quilt, craft. Feed wood into the wood stove. :) occasionally fix up a room. I'm still working on the guest room.

• wanda_va
    9 years ago

My name is Wanda...and I am a quilting addict!!!

• tami_ohio
    9 years ago

Knit and read, and play on the computer. Most of the time, even in winter, I am not "stuck" in the house. I try to go out most days, even if it's just to walk around a store. Just to get out of the house. I get too depressed if I can't get out.

• Rose_NW_PA
    9 years ago

I have been cleaning out and shredding old paperwork this month. I have been paying bills online for a long time but this month I enrolled for paperless statements and billing for everything. Less shredding in the future.

• prairie_rose
    9 years ago

I love to be outside, but when it is really cold, that time can be shortened a lot.

I am an avid crocheter, my family calls me the "happy hooker". I like to knit, and now that I have a new knitting machine, plan to do more knit projects. Big sports fans, so I can watch the game and keep the needles and hooks going. No game on the tube, well the scrabble board comes out.

Love to cook and entertain. Lots of hockey night in Canada Saturday nights with family.

• marie_ndcal
    9 years ago

Trying to finish up projects started over the years while we were traveling. Sorting out, shredding records, working on ancestry stuff, enjoying meeting new people from all over in my new assist living complex AND learning to be more patient with many with beginning memory care problems.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

Cleaning out my closets and painting some big garden pots.

I have zero patience for needlework and I absolutely admire anyone who does!

• katlan
    9 years ago

I wish I knew how to knit, and especially crochet. I've done cross stitch before. I read, tv, computer, there's always something that needs cleaned or a closet that needs revamped and purged.

Hoping to make an rv trip south next month. We have family in GA and FL. Will probably stop in MD to see one of my sisters and our daughter, shoot on over to DE where our son lives then head south. Any suggestions of different places to visit in Feb. along the way? In the Virginias the Carolinas?

• emma
    9 years ago

Same as summer. Jigsaw puzzles, movies, reading and playing with the pc. My puzzle table.

• Alice_sj
    9 years ago

Work, but I'd rather be stamping! I craft, catchup on TV shows, and play games when I have the time.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    9 years ago

I love to knit and crochet, especially baby things. I am finishing a baby cardigan that will go to my new neighbor who is expecting their first child next month. If I have time, I knit and crochet several things for each new baby, and this little girl will be no exception. My older son's nephew was born in December and my younger son's good friend had a girl in December. Both of them got a box of booties, hats, cardigans, vests and blankets.

My special gift is a crocheted baby blanket that is supposed to be blocks of the alphabet, but instead I crochet the baby's full name. It always impresses, and it looks more difficult than it is.

This post was edited by sheilajoyce on Sun, Jan 18, 15 at 14:10

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Crafts. I have been doing button art projects right now and taught a lesson recently to the garden club. I will try to get a picture of my latest one a fleur-de-lis.
    I also have been doing modge podge projects we will sell at our annual garden club sale.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I mounted it on a burlap covered canvas frame that has been painted with some white paint.

• bengardening
    9 years ago

Last summer I learned how to make rugs. It is called German Braid Rug weaving. I use a 24 by 43 inch frame. It is flat like a picture frame. That is the biggest I can make and I can make smaller sizes. I use cotton material, mostly old sheets. I can get most of them for 25 or 50 cents at a thrift store. They call them drop cloths if they are not usable for on a bed. They still work for me though. It takes about 5 king to full size sheets to make a large rug. I have finished 10 of them I think. My DD has 2 of them. I gave 2 of the smaller ones away for Christmas presents. One I donated to a church raffle and one I donated for a benefit for a friend who was dying of cancer. It takes me about 12 hours to make a big one. I really enjoy doing it and it doesn't cost me a lot to do it or take up a lot of room. I found a store who will sell the rugs for me. Next week I will go to talk to her about it.

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

1. Restoring an antique clock.

2. Chasing loose ends on the internet in my family genealogy. I am trying (again) to crack a couple of brick walls.

3. Clearing away snow when it falls. That has not been bad this winter since several of our snows were of low moisture content, thus very fluffy.

4. As little auto maintenance as possible.

5. Planning new trips when the weather becomes warmer like late spring and early summer. We will do one trip for sure to see our daughter and granddaughter after school lets out.

6. I am looking at a couple of nature study classes that will be offered at the local technical college.

• Amazing Aunt Audrey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WOW am impressed with all of you. Especially Wanda! I've seen your quilts...you do awesome work. I can do most of the things listed and a few more. Do I do any of them? No. Sadly I don't motivate myself.

• PRO
    Adella Bedella
    9 years ago

I had to look up the German braid rug that bengardening mentioned. I've been saving old t-shirts and jeans for a project some day.

I have a lot of hobbies that seem to be cyclical in nature. Now that I've moved to a warmer climate, we don't have much of a winter any more and no big accomplishments. I've dabbled in genealogy, painting, and decorating my house. I head outdoors when the weather is warm.

• two25acres
    9 years ago

We started our late fall early winter with taking down about 5 black walnut trees, cutting them up and stacking them for seasoning. We are trying to clear the back .25 acres of our land to get better visual and get some sun to shine through there. We were doing good until the snow and cold weather hit. Now that's on hold until snow clears. I'm doing indoor projects now, organizing, cleaning, decluttering etc. Next month I'll clean the carpets and we're getting a dumpster to rid ourselves of anything we haven't used in 1 year, can't wait to get that done. In late March early April we will build two 4 x 16 beds that will be used for veggies. I had 8 smaller ones in the lower garden area but they have become obsolete. Our neighbor has planted black walnut trees and every bit of juglone travels down hill to my beds. Killed 16 heirloom tomatoes last year and nothing else really did that well. We will make those beds into perrenial beds and the beds far enough away from the juglone river will be for blueberry bushes and rhubarb. For now I'm bored. I am thinking about taking up crocheting. I'd like to learn to make small gifts for family and friends. I'm doing some research on where to start with that. If I don't find something to do I'll drive hubby crazy.

• nicole__
    9 years ago

Dh & I are doing a whole house remodel on a rental property this winter. I just finished 2 bathrooms, a kitchen, a family room.....:0) I shopped for deals on everything. The porcelain tile for instance was .10cents a sq ft from Lowes. The granite & marble was $3 a sq ft from The Restore.

The guest bath:

{{gwi:2134817}}

The master bath:
    (I cut the tiles with the wet saw, DH glued them on)

{{gwi:2134818}}

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

Wanda's image looks like she is slurping spaghetti off a spool while she is quilting. That's a great way to stay fed during a marathon quilting session. :-)

I have been intending to do long-delayed projects around the house, but so far have only done a few at our rental place: replacing the decrepit storm door that fell off and replacing the kitchen sink which was falling into the cabinet below.

• donna37
    9 years ago

Crocheting, been making lap afghans for wheelchair patients and take to local nursing home. Good way to use up odds and ends of yarn I've accumulated.
    Read, watch some DVDs that DD has given me.
    DH gave me money for Christmas and I bought a puzzle table to work jigsaw puzzles on and able to cover it up so the cat doesn't disrupt everything.

• susie53_gw
    9 years ago

Until right before Christmas I was still filling orders from our bazar at our church. Took a break. Now I am working on sundresses for my 6 granddaughters.. They all have birthdays starting February 19th through the 24th of April. They love when I make them. Ages 5 through 12. Hope to make some cute pj's, too.

• chisue
    9 years ago

Does anyone weave -- on a loom? My late aunt did beautiful work on a big loom she set up in her retirement home at Lake Arrowhead in California. (I don't think she knew this was the family business for our ancestors in the French Alps.)

• sjerin
    9 years ago

Nicole, I feel like such a slouch after seeing your post! How do you find enough hours in the day? It's a very lovely bathroom, and what a deal on the materials!

• carol_in_california
    9 years ago

We are still waiting for winter!

• joyfulguy
    9 years ago

Quite a lot of decluttering to do.

Darning some socks, as I wear a second pair over the pressure ones ... and there's another hole in the heel of one of them that needs darning.

Sewing some patches on elbows of shirts, as elbows get that sense of being liberated, being able to get out.

Gardening overalls, jeans and coveralls almost all need some patching - legs are getting a similar "liberated" feeling.

I need to work on a cell-phone plan, as I should carry a contact system with me to call in case I need help. ADT called the other day and want to sign me up for break-in/police, fire and health protection ... but their system is good only within 250 feet of my house. I want a contact system that I can carry with me.

ole joyful