SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adellabedella_usa

Hmmm...Haribo Sugarless Gummy Bears

Adella Bedella
10 years ago

I hope no one got these for Christmas. Apparently, they make quite an effective laxative. My 13 yo ds said he thought about getting me the big 5# bag from Amazon as a prank for Christmas. He just showed me the reviews on Amazon. Some people are buying these as pranks. Others were buying them as gifts for people they hate.

Comments (10)

• sushipup1
    10 years ago

Most sugar-free substitutes act as a laxative in large quantities. So this is common with most candies without sugar.

• sjerin
    10 years ago

Who knew??

• Adella Bedella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't know about the sugar free laxative effect. I don't ever eat it.

I was more amazed by the outright meanness of those buying the stuff to purposely make others suffer. It didn't sound so much like kids having a harmless prank. It was the supposed adults.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

SORBITOL, people. The side effects of this and many other artificial sweeteners are well known. Be a watchful consumer when buying any 'sugar free' candy. Sugar free breath mints are something to look out for, too.

I have a cough suppressant that warns about the laxative effect if too many are consumed.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

Is sorbitol the sugar free ingredient in these bears then? I didn't look them up, but I've avoided candy or things containing sorbitol for years, discovered the issue the hard way with sugar free mints. Briefly, I'm sure no one wants all the details but they involve mega GAS, and cramps. Another time it was chewable sugar free Vit C tabs. Now I read labels but basically avoid any sugar free, sugar substitute products completely. If having a soda, candy, I have just a little of the real thing, otherwise none at all.

• marygailv
    10 years ago

For those of us who have to take a laxative because of the constipated use of prescription medicine, and are diabetic and having some sugar free chocolates is kind of a relief! Years back when sugar free candy first came out my son-in-law's father was a candy/cigarette distributor and found out the hard way about the laxative effect.

• phyllis__mn
    10 years ago

Funny, but gross, reviews on Amazon

Here is a link that might be useful: Haribo reviews

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Mor....yep, to sorbitol in the gummy bears.

• clubm
    10 years ago

I also learned the hard way!! My body reacts to Sorbitol ... Can't handle
    It. It's deadly!!! lolol

• nanny98
    10 years ago

Lots of good company here.... I think mailotol, could be spelled differently, is another one. Sugar-free ice-cream???Just deadly for me.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz