Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firstmmo

Is 2010 the year your kitchen will be finished???

firstmmo
14 years ago

Are you looking forward to the new year?

I am SOOOOO looking forward to the next 5 months when my kitchen will be done, my home will be mine and the year will bring satisfaction in having completed my project! Can't wait. How many of you out there are ready for your kitchen to be done in 2010 and what month will you be completed?

I am hoping hoping hoping to be done some time in June 2010! Summer will be awesome!!! Yipppeeeee!

Comments (46)

• earthpal
    14 years ago

Egad, I hope so! Not sure I want to make any further predictions than that tho! We hoped to be done before Thanksgiving, then Christmas, now we are into the New Year Year.

Course, I can't complain too much because part of the delay has been the Glass Artist (aka Me!) making part of the backsplash had her kiln die on her among other problems!

Good Luck to you Firsthouse!

• decor8for2
    14 years ago

oh please, oh please, oh pleeeease!!!! let this be the year we are not only finished with the kitchen, but also all of the other rooms that are 99% finished throughout my house!

• rnest44
    14 years ago

Yes! DH says Feb. 1 but he has always been a dreamer. I am holding myself up with decisions. Good thing about being the GC, you can make changes and decisions as visions become realities, bad thing about being the GC, you can make changes and decisions as visions become realities!!

Been in my temporary kitchen since Sept. 16th and it might be a tad too easy since we've taken forever to find our granite and choose a fabricator.

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

We need to get a new fridge and range (problem is I want pricier ones like induction range and a Big Chill Fridge), plus figure out what to do on the opposite wall for storage. I am liking a lot of Ikea options for that, thank goodness not too expensive there.

I hope by summer it can all be done! Next holiday season I want to be cooking on a new range.

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

If everything goes according to plan should be finished (minus backsplash) by end of spring. We are mostly DIY and about 50% done now. Making the decisions about the floor and what brand/model ss appliances are the major holdups. Since my current appliances that I'm replacing are only 5 yrs. old really want to make sure about the new ones. Because my kitchen is currently usable, no big rush.

• sochi
    14 years ago

Yes, cannot wait! In theory it should be done in February, I'll be happy if we are mostly done some time in March!

I'm hoping at a minimum to be able to move back into my home by February 1st.

Good luck in 2010 everyone!

• judydel
    14 years ago

earthpal we too said Thanksgiving, then Christmas . . . it better be done in 2010!!

• macybaby
    14 years ago

I sure hope so too! In fact right now finishing the kitchen is the only thing on my "to do" list for 2010.

Finishing the kitchen is the last leg of a complete gut and refurbish project that started back in 2004. I'm starting to wonder what life without working on the house will be like.

Cathy

• Tom Pultz
    14 years ago

As my lovely wife said recently, "The kitchen will be finished next year OR ELSE!" She didn't specify what the OR ELSE was :-)

We are both ready for it to be finished as it's been about 5 years since we started the rennovation. As usual it started out small and gradually worked its way up to include the kitchen, family room & fireplace, dining room, powder room, hallway and laundry room. Since this has been all DIY it's taken a lot longer than planned of course.

Along the way there have been many other projects taking time away from the "kitchen." But we can now see the light at the end of the tunnel and hope to have a functional kitchen in the next 3-4 months.

Cheers.

• socalusa
    14 years ago

When we started demo in March, my goal was to have the kitchen done in time for Mother's Day.

I still hope for 100% completion by Mother's Day - 2010. ;-)

• forgottensong
    14 years ago

Likewise. We began planning in March of 2009, bought the cabinets end of May and demolished the kitchen September 1. Mostly it has been problems with Kraft Maid and flaws in the design that our contractor has been fixing. We still need to make a final selection for the floor, purchase the lights and the toilet and sink for the lavette. I'm hoping for Valentine's Day. LOL. FS

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

I started '09 thinking we'd do a cosmetic update to our kitchen. One thing led to another and the project has morphed into a much larger project that included new cabinets. The scope sort of freaked me out so I put it on hold to give myself time to mull the options. Hubby was cool with that. But we do plan to move forward and get it done in '10. As I cooked the holiday meals (and cursed my small oven), I said "next year, this will be sooooo much easier!" Sure hope I'm right.

It's now going to include a built-in hutch in the dining room. I realized that we have dead space under the stairs at one end of the room and I'd like to make use of that with added storage that doesn't take up space in my barely over 10' wide dining room.

• paula0564
    14 years ago

I sure hope so! I am ordering cabinets this week. Looks like a lot of us ae shooting for FEB- MAR time frame... Here's hoping that we have kitchens by Easter! :o)

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I can hope... I've been able to use it for almost 2 yrs now, but as time goes on, the list of unfinished details grows as I figure out little tweaks to improve things! As of yesterday, I now have window trim and a window sill, so there's some progress underway.

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Can't wait to hear about all the yummy Easter meals that will be cooked in the gorgeous kitchens by this crew! I love the "or else" posts that seem to proliferate our households......do I hear desperation?

• shelayne
    14 years ago

It had better be. *through my teeth with clenched fist*

This has been an ongoing process for well over a year, so I am starting to become impatient. I can shoulder a lot of the blame because there are things I need to get done, that I have put off, mostly because I am trying to be careful with the spending.

The goal was to be done by mid-September. When that didn't happen, we had to move it to spring, as we are replacing entry and screen doors, and in this climate, that is seasonal work. Funny though, it seems our door knows its days are numbered and is slowly-but-surely falling apart. On Christmas eve the knob fell off in DH's hand, as he was opening the door. You should see the handle he McGuyvered. LOL.

We are looking to be done BEFORE school lets out for the summer. Please, Lord, let it be so. Amen. ;^)

• gillylily
    14 years ago

YES, YES, YES.. WE are building and the house was supposed to be done by NOV. 30th.. LOLOLOL.

Here we are just about into Jan. and we had to sign an extension for at least the end of January. funny thing is my kitchen will essentially be done Jan. 4th.. It's the rest of the house i am waiting on.. GRRRR. If it wasn't for living in an apt. with 2 small children, dh, and yellow lab- might not be such a biggeee.. but.. it could be worse. At least I have a place to live!!!! On that note.. a happy and a healthy!!

• teresa518
    14 years ago

It better be.....I have been 90% done for about a month now. I have the drywall guy here today touching up some things. I have to get the guy in to stain the molding and doors and have a couple other cosmetic touch ups left. I hope to be able to post real finished pictures in late January.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Yes, Lord willing! We haven't started yet, probably next week, but will be having others do the work. Our cabinet guy has been known to make cabinets in 4 days if he has no other projects going on. Our GC works on only one job at a time and tends to deliver as promised time-wise. We will be making as many decisions and purchases as possible pre-demo, so I am hoping it will be short work from start to finish. The planning stage, OTOH, has been ongoing for 15 years, since we did our first reno before moving in. (I didn't have this forum at that time... I thank God for you all!)

Can't wait to see everyone's kitchens!

• jakabedy
    14 years ago

We're shooting for March 1 at the outside. The final wall of cabinets will be in place this week and I can get the countertop guys out to template. So the only real time variable is countertop fabrication/install. Then the plumber comes to tie everything together, we get the backsplash done (DIY) and hang the range hood, and -- fine!!.

• jeri
    14 years ago

Not a chance for me. IÂll be happy if we finalize a plan and simply begin the DIY project. :-)

• laxsupermom
    14 years ago

I certainly hope so. Like Rhome410, I've been working in my kitchen for so long that the punch list is starting to get longer because I see some tweaks that need to happen. The only things left on the original punch list are grout, some trim, and cookbook shelves. However new stuff has been added to that list like putting a 24"MW drawer, regular drawer and 6" pullout into an existing 30" cab at the end of my peninsula, buying and installing a real hood over my range and trimming it out to look like it was planned, etc. This is contingent on my OTRMW dying. We reused the old in the new remodel and while it does vent to the outside it isn't as powerful and is certainly louder than I'd like.

• kristin42
    14 years ago

Still waiting to begin...Deadline is May with my senior graduating from highschool. Lots and lots of planning. My DH got a hotplate from me for Christmas! Now we are aiming for a January start date. I love GW forum and I have collected so much information that I feel really really ready to start!!

• donka
    14 years ago

If my kitchen isn't finished in 2010, I may go mildly insane. Started in march 2009, was supposed to be 8-12 weeks, but complications, and life, got in the way and we had to prioritize our uh, priorities :) No idea what month we'll be done since it's up to me at this point to pick the backsplash, then schedule the contractor to get it done and he's a busy guy. Let's say, oh, hmm...July? If I've learned one thing about renovating it's to add on at least 4 times as long as you should think for anything to happen :)

Good luck to you all, may the reno gods be smiling down on you!

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

I am hoping to be done and done by end of March....Will start taking things apart Jan. 30. Demolition scheduled to begin Feb. 8. Everything is either already here or on order. Cabinets due to arrive Jan. 7ish. I'm working with a house built in 1880 so I know there will be problems. My carpenter said 4 weeks but we all know how that goes. And I am counting on NO blizzards in Feb or March! If there's anyone in the midwest reading this, please don't shake your head at me. I'll cry.

• nonnyx2
    14 years ago

On August 22, 2009 our demolition began
    with a goal firmly set for a Halloween end . . .
    When that didn't happen we tried again
    thinking by Thanksgiving we'd be cooking for ten . . .
    No chance of that either so we calculated anew
    hoping by Christmas we'd say goodbye to our crew . . .
    Christmas is now past, with the New Year in view
    Here's hoping 2010 brings beautiful kitchens
    for both me and you!

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOVE the Kitchen Renovation Poem....
    Here's to all the kitchens that WILL BE DONE (by golly) in 2010!

P.S. To Donka: mildly insane? The rest of us are past that already! We are either TKO, in shock and denial or categorically crazy already! :) That's us, just a bunch of crazy kitchen remodelers!

• earthpal
    14 years ago

Rats, my post was one of the ones lost on this thread! Hopefully, I will remember it now!

Judy, thanks for the support! We started on 9/21 and some weeks went slower than others. We knew ahead of time that our GC was having some health issues but preferred to work with someone we know and trust. Especially after reading some of the horror stories in other threads on this Forum!!

So, we are inching along. The replacement DW panels arrived today and I am narrowing down color possibilities for the mosaic focal point that I am working on as well as point person for this project.

Oh, that is the funny thing I wanted to mention! In addition to trying to create glass art downstairs, most of the time, I am the one that deals with the various day to day decisions with the remodel and update my husband during the day and of course when he comes home at night. Well, my DH has "vacation" last week and this week and he has been home while I have been out doing things. I barely get in the door before my normally quiet DH starts telling me what happened while I was gone for a few hours! The role reversal has been fun to experience! LOL!!

So far, this project has been for us our presents for: 20th Anniversary, both our BDs, and Hannukah/Christmas. I am really hoping that we will complete this "present" cycle with Valentine's Day! Particularly since I have been without a functioning DW since mid-January 2009 and have been doing dishes in our bathroom since 9/21!!

Good Luck to All of us who are hoping for completion in 2010!!

• heart-of-dixie
    14 years ago

I sure hope it is done by March. Ordered the cabinets on 10/30 and the appliances in mid November. The appliances are in waiting in the warehouse.
    The cabinets are still not it. We are in the hurry up and wait mode. Of course we still have to pick out countertops, flooring, backsplash and on and on.
    More than likely it will be around May.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

G. W.

(God Willing)

• joseph7505
    14 years ago

You donÂt know how fervently I hope that our kitchen will finally become a reality in 2010. IÂm a cabinetmaker, so the cabinets will be my own. And I even have dreams of making a wooden countertop for us. But first there is the home theater, still, impossibly, in progress after entirely too long a time. And to make it all the more agonizing there is the blog site I run with my partner in which I am constantly writing about kitchens and baths, looking at all the many items that are around, hoping that we will one day put them to use in our own home. So, will it happen? I donÂt know. But I hope and I dream and I pray. Just one time I want to tell the people in this forum about a blog IÂve written about my OWN new kitchen!!!! SoÂÂÂ weÂll see what happens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabinet & Furniture Trends & Information

• midwifekim
    14 years ago

Whole house renovation timeline:
    Bought fixer in Dec 2008. Imagined moving into it in June 2009. Moved out of old house Jan 2009 into in-law apartment -of our contractor- across the street from old house. Sold old house March 2009. Revised move-in to October 2009. Finished plans July 2009. Permits approved September 2009. Started construction October 2009. Were told April 2010 as new move-in date.

We're in framing now... and instead of saying June 2010, we're just saying it will be DONE in 2010.

Tired of pretending we have a real date. We are truly thankful to have such a high quality problem- 2 adults, 2 kids, a 65 lb dog, the world's smallest bathroom and NO parking for over a year! Oh... it will be SO worth it when we move THIS year!!! (Sound familiar, gillylily?)

• bostonpam
    14 years ago

We started with the architect on our major home renovation in March 2008! Lots of issues and zoning purgatory pushed our demo into Sept 2009. It better be done in 2010. Actually my contractor is way ahead of me. I just gave him a week extension (it's really for me since I still need to order a few things but I'm making him think I'm such a good guy and helping him out - he's under a deadline elsewhere) After he's gone we have to paint, paint, paint the whole house ourselves plus we're reglazing 30 six over six windows. I think it will be a month after my contractor is gone when we can move in. Immediately after this we start our backyard makeover including in ground pool.

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

When I read the title of this thread, I laughed so hard that I fell off my couch. I have no delusions.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

I see in my earlier post about my kitchen renovation I mentioned something about blizzards in Feb. and March. I TAKE IT ALL BACK!! Pretend I didn't say that! So now the problem is, how far should I go today since I'm home and my carpenter can't get here for at least two days - if the road to my house is open by then? I want old icky sheet rock out of here but if I do that it could get real cold. The good news is the dumpster is inside the garage. I see this project taking forever. I'm a bit discouraged this morning. And I can't find the new coffee!! Been looking since yesterday. I KNOW I have some. I KNOW I packed it. And I must have known I would need it so where the heck did I put it? I won't attempt a grocery store run for it. I can drink tea or something. I guess while I still can I will make a German chocolate cake. Temporary kitchen is trying but the stove is still hooked up in the old one.

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pinch_me...you want COFFEE? My DH is trying as best he can to hide anything caffeinated from me until the reno is done. I'm wound up enough already! I think he was hoping I'd start taking tranquilizers so I'd come down "off my ledge".

Hoping for better weather for all you folks in the DC area and other weather-challenged areas. Hope this makes you feel better: California has been all rain and gloom for weeks!

How's the build going???? Not you warmfridge--you may be the only one with the right idea: No delusions!

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I've posted in the 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and now I suppose I should again post in the 2010 "finished" goal thread. Yes, I think the final stuff (paint trim, make window treatments and touch up final goodies) will be completed this year! DH says I have to before I start our next kitchen, likely to be claimed by me to be completed in 2011, 2012, 2013 etc. :OP

• earthpal
    14 years ago

Still optimistic that it will be done in 2010 but not by this coming Sunday's Valentine's Day. Our Vetrazzo Countertops FINALLY are being installed tomorrow whoops, uh TODAY!!! Once that is done, some other things can happen finally like the DW can be hooked up and I will be able to do most of our dishes in that!!! More importantly, I can do my Happy Dance! LOL!

Hey Firsthouse... We have had a few days here and there that have been sunny in NorCal! I saw pictures today from a friend's relative's place in a DC suburb... oh my!!!

• polly929
    14 years ago

I could only hope this will be the year!
    DH did the demo on ours June 2007, it was functional by October 2007, it is now Feb. 2010- finished?? Not yet, really hoping for this year! Still need to finish the island, find a backsplash DH and I can agree on, under cabinet lighting, and pendant lights. When all that is done, I will FINALLY post a picture.

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

Earthpal,
    Please, please, please post pics of your Vetrazzo. I'd like that too but know it won't go with my antiques, so I have to live vicariously.

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes yes where's the Vetrazzo???

• midwifekim
    14 years ago

We actually have measurable space in our kitchen- so I can order cabinets! And today they cut two huge holes in the wall where our new family room doors will go. YEAH!! They'll frame the kitchen skylight next week (if we actually get a break in this Bay Area rain).

• plllog
    14 years ago

I haven't wanted to jinx it before, after all the delays (demo was April 20, 2009) so I haven't said anything...but I have an appointment for faucets and drains on Tuesday. TUESDAY!!! If there's running water, it's a kitchen, right?

And even better, though it's still awhile before the stove is installed, and some of my drawers, the open shelves, all the pantry rollouts, etc., won't be in, but I will be able to start bringing things back in and washing them and...putting them away.

And rumor is the plumber will be returning my laundry machines to their proper places and hooking them up too. Not carrying laundry to my folks' house in the rain will be SO amazing!!!

Can you see the Snoopy dance??? I'm trying to keep it down because a lot can happen before Tuesday, but I honestly do think I may have a finished kitchen in 2010!!!!

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

SOON, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• kaseki
    14 years ago

Iglochic is probably the uncontested "winner" in length of project. I only started in August 2007 planning and researching, a task greatly helped by the GW forums and on-line published cooking ventilation research. Plans gelled by December 2007, with some appliances ordered. Over the next months many details were resolved, electrical and plumbing codes researched, and contents of the attic and basement moved to accommodate demolition of the kitchen area.

Actual demolition, floor sistering, ceiling raising, new window installation, plumbing architecture upgrades, exterior revisions, and other tasks began in August 2008 and lasted for about a year, although de-wiring and re-wiring the basement began earlier as the electrical architecture had to be revised.

At this time the floor is down and sealed, sheetrock installed, finished, and painted, lighting is all in, cabinets are installed, granite and soapstone counters are installed, cabinet electrical and plumbing is done, attic wiring upgrades and re-insulation is mostly completed.

Still to do: Get a decision on cabinet pull hardware, get back-splash tile installed, install remaining cabinet related trim, get wall ovens into place, final finish the floor, install some entry slate, and install door frame trim pieces. Sometime during all of this the various components of the make-up air system have to be installed in the attic.

The final significant task is to bring up the induction cooktop from the family room and drop it in the counter. This will mark effective completion because cooking can then shift to the kitchen. It is my fervent hope that this will occur in 2010.

kas

• earthpal
    14 years ago

Ah Kaseki, I sympathize! Our induction cooktop was finally hooked up late yesterday afternoon. I thoroughly enjoyed the boiling water in this pot on this burner than that burner game! Hopefully you will soon too!

We hope to have running water today. My GC ran into a problem with getting all of the various pipes put in by his plumbing sub last fall to line up yesterday, and he has having to rearrange how he wants to do this now. But so close to having a DW again! Now if I can persuade the countertop people to fix the messed up seam they created, I will be joining Plllog in dancing with Snoopy! ;;)