Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashwood26

Sink in island or not?

Ashwood26
9 years ago

We are designing our kitchen layout now and I was hoping for some suggestions on whether to put the sink in the island. The kitchen really has only one 14" wide wall with a 3' by 8' island. If I squeeze everything along the wall, I'll end up only having about 21" counter space on either side of the range. I will also have a smaller sink that fits a 30" base cabinet with 21" and 24" of counter space of either side. I can of course then do most of the prep work on the island, which will have seating on the other side.

The other option is to have the sink on the island, and I will have a proper triangle and a big sink.

I will end up with similar storage in both plans. It's just I'm not sure which looks better in real life. Thoughts?

Comments (13)

• kingtutt10
    9 years ago

I would opt for sink on the wall. I find I like to prep on the island facing the action (island seating, TV) 3x8 island real estate is just the right size for a prep area.
    You will have all your dirty pots pans dishes on the island if your clean up is there.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I have a similar setup, but had no choice as to where the sink could go (all electrical and plumbing is on the wall side. My island is 3-1/2' x 10'. Tonight I made salmon and mashed potatoes for dinner, cookies and an apple crisp for tomorrow night, all concurrently. I used the island from end to end. Frankly, it was still a mess, but at least I had the uninterrupted space to work with.

• brightm
    9 years ago

I too find I do most of my prep on my un-interupted island. Mine is 30"x81". Yesterday I was juicing a bunch of limes. (I don't know WHAT is up this year but it's like every day there is another whole tree full) and I had my production all layed out on the island. I was the only one in the kitchen and a few min in I thought 'Why am I not just working right next to the sink where I'm washing them off?' But I just like the feel of working at the big expanse better. And when there's more than one cook prepping, which is often the case, we're facing each other at the island, which is great. We also use it for serving most nights.

ETA: We've just got 24" on each side of the range and it's plenty. 18 would be tight-ish (I think it's what I had pre-reno and was fine with it) but I think 21" is plenty.

This post was edited by cal_quail on Wed, Dec 24, 14 at 10:12

• Ashwood26
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. Looks like the consensus is to leave the sink along th wall. That is also what I wanted, but I needed a bit of push from others to actually deviate from the typical triangle I see in so many houses.

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

I had a one-wall set up, about 14' long, with a big peninsula opposite with no water/cooktop/fridge (so the same as an island).

Set up went range -> counter -> sink -> counter -> fridge

I hated only having 18" between stove and sink. That's prime real estate, and I found there was always not enough room there. Plates and food and pots all accumulated on that one small chunk of counter.

I realize yours is 21" but it still seems too small.

• emma
    9 years ago

I would not want a sink on an island, I think it makes it more visual. To me it is not a pretty thing, I would prefer place settings and decorative things there.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

This is a situation where I would be casting around for a creative location for the fridge. Recess it in to a nearby closet, bathroom, hallway, etc. Of everything in the kitchen, the fridge is really the part that can stand being a bit farther from the action, and gaining the width of the fridge on your 14' wall would be all the difference in the world.

Without the fridge, in 14' of wall space, you could have a 2 ft. counter, then a 30" range, then over 4' of counter, then a 3' sink cabinet, then a 2 ft. dishwasher.

Then put a prep sink all the way to the side on your island and have 6' of uninterrupted counter next to it, meaning lots of work space and no carrying dripping stuff across the aisle.

I'd post a floor plan of the whole floor your kitchen is on and see if anybody can't figure out where else the fridge could go.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

Post a floor plan. That way we can explore alternatives. Be sure to indicate doorways and label the adjacent rooms.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    9 years ago

I suggest the island for the sink location. It always seems that family and friends congregate at the island. Why would you want to have your back to them when you are working in the kitchen? Most of the prep and clean up work is done around the sink. Have fun with it!

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

I would choose the Big sink on the island.

• threegraces
    9 years ago

I don't have a work triangle. I have an "L" because my sink is also along the wall. I did not want anything in my island (3x7) but uninterrupted glorious space.

• lisapoi
    9 years ago

At first, we also wanted our sink along the wall, but when a local kitchen designer suggested it would be better for us to consider putting the sink in our planned island, we tried to visualize ourselves working with a sink in that location. We had a make-shift island for months, and after initial strong misgivings, we both finally came to the conclusion that having a sink in the island was indeed the best solution. Now it is a year later, and our kitchen reno is mostly complete. We love having the sink in the island. I face a sliding glass door when I do dishes so I can look out onto the yard. Our island is 39 x 84. I have 24" on one side of the sink, and 30" on the other side. (We have a large D sink, 23" x 20" in a 26" cabinet). There's plenty of room to prep on the island, and also an area behind the sink for 2 people to sit on stools . . . close to me if I'm working at the sink. I don't think it looks bad at all. After going through this reno, I can say that I know my kitchen is not perfect, and it has meant compromises -- but I have been OK with the compromises. You have to choose what works for you and your situation. For me, I like being able to look out on my backyard when I am at my sink.