Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

scrappy25 renovation Part 2- Julia soapstone installed

scrappy25
9 years ago

Part 2- Julia soapstone installed

(If you missed Part 1, it is linked below.)

Knowing that I had white cabinets and a mosaic ming green marble tile, I hunted around Baltimore for scarcely stocked soapstone. I found some slabs in my 5 yard check, but they had names like "Brazilian Black, "Honed soapstone", "Leathered soapstone" , "Green soapstone" , or "Blue soapstone" which really gave no indication of how hard or soft they were. I was unable to get any samples for testing. I was spooked by the stories of staining of white granites and the very pricey quartz, and didn't want anything that I had to be careful of or care for.

I was about to settle for leathered uba tuba but when I posted here on gardenweb you all encouraged me to look further away. So up to Stonemasters in Kennett Square PA I went, also 90 minutes away from my home in north Baltimore. Beekeeperswife had used them twice and spoke highly of them, Stonemasters had 15 varieties of soapstone on sale at $65/SF, about 20 percent less than soapstone in Baltimore, and gave me samples to my hearts content. They even included an integral drainboard in that pricing. Carol, my saleslady, also took me through all the granite slabs as well and I almost went for the honed jet mist, which was really pretty. However, it did stain slightly with lemon juice and tomato paste, so I went back to choosing between the soapstones. The Amazon (like Green Mountain) was the hardest but difficult to sand out imperfections. Julia was the next hardest, but easier to sand out nicks and scratches while still being quite durable. Here is a picture of the Julia slab that we ended up buying. The picture is overexposed to show the pattern detail.

{{gwi:2142954}}

Following advice garnered here on gardenweb, I booked vacation days for the templating and the countertop installation. The cabinet were installed on Friday Nov 7 and Brandon came to template on Tuesday Nov 10. He spent about three hours, half of that on properly fitting the Stages 45 sink between my faucets and front tip-out tray on an inset drawer front, no small feat. I asked for a roundover edge on both the countertop and the sink edge in order to minimize chipping, for a slightly increased cost. I also talked him into 1 inch inside corner radii instead of the 3 inch that is standard for that type of edge. After all the measuring, checking, and double-checking, Brandon used the laser template and then checked those results against his manual measurements. He listened to my concerns about the accessories for the Kohler sink fitting and decided that it would be best to follow the official Kohler dxf file for the sink cutout (CNC machine).

Laser templating
{{gwi:2142955}}

The next day, I drove to Stonemasters for the computer templating ($7.50 /sf additional) that allowed me to choose the pattern matchup at the seams. The additional charge allows for the wastage created by the pattern match (I ended up using most of 2 slabs rather than the 1 1/2 slabs actually needed )

Countertop installation occurred on Friday Nov 21,

Here is the truck in my driveway
{{gwi:2142956}}

It was really cold outside and the soapstone was frozen from being in the truck overnight. Jeremy and Carl managed to be both sweaty and frozen at the same time after they carried in the large peninsula piece.

{{gwi:2142957}}

Here is the edge of the countertop so that you can see the roundover edge detail on top vs the standard eased edge on the bottom. You can see the biscuit joints created by the CNC to help join the seams. The roundover seems to really work at preventing chips.
{{gwi:2135465}}

Again,fitting the sink took the most time and effort, the installers used a combination of cleats on the sides and clips on the back of the sink screwed into holes that the CNC machine had drilled out, For very thin seams, they used a contraption that I think is referred to as Gorilla grips to pull the soapstone together. This certainly did the trick since the seams are difficult to see and difficult to feel.
{{gwi:2142958}}

I have to say that the laser templating is truly impressive . The soapstone fits within a fingernail of the wall and there is almost no variance in the countertop overhang.

Jeremy and Carl ended up being here about 5 hours but still took the time to rub an oil/wax mixture into the entire surface. This was a little shiny at first but soaked into the soapstone by the next day and makes it really impervious to water and oil stains. Here it is after being freshly waxed. They say that it will be many months before needing the wax reapplied.

By the way the Kohler sink accessories fit perfectly with a little wiggle room so using the Kohler provided dxf file fo the sink cutout is definitely the way to go.

{{gwi:2140647}}

{{gwi:2142959}}

Philip, the production manager at Stonemasters, told me that this Julia would be sanded to 320 grit. I was a little worried since this seems to be finer than the recommendations that I see here, but I have had no issues with water rings or staining. The wax/oil mixture they put on has faded to a lovely honed sheen and so far no scratches or dings even though every surface was used during the Thanksgiving weekend! I had a little qualm when my mom put the hot turkey roaster on the counter and pushed it across to my dad to carve. She also used the cleaver on a cutting board on the counter to shop some Chinese duck and pork (bones included), so far so good.

I have seen so may horror stories of granite installations and pictures of badly behaving soapstone on this site, so wanted to report on my thoroughly positive experience.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scrappy25 renovation Part 1- layout evolution and cabinets

This post was edited by scrappy25 on Fri, Dec 5, 14 at 23:56

Comments (30)

• eam44
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

GORGEOUS! It's absolutely beautiful. Your layout is almost identical to mine, but yours is almost finished while mine is still in pieces. Make sure to come back and show us your bs and final reveal!

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Such a wonderful story - it's so nice to hear happy endings for a change. You have found wonderful craftsman and you have worked diligently to educate yourself, make the right decisions, and be prepared for your vision. Your kitchen is a beautiful success. It's a bright, happy space and looks like a joy to work in. I love the expanse of counter and of course your sink! Can't wait to hear how you like our Stages. I love all the details, the mirrored doors, the undercabinet shelves, the clever drawers and customized use of space, the window, the cabs on the outside of the peninsula...I love it all as you reveal.

So happy you've had such a wonderful experience and are enjoying your new kitchen in time for the holidays!

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

I love it! The soapstone, sink, your story, and all of the informative details and photos. Thanks for sharing.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It is really beautiful!

• magpier
    9 years ago

Beautiful. So nice to read a positive experience.

• my_four_sons
    9 years ago

Love your renovation story, keep it coming! Your cabinets and soapstone are just so, so gorgeous.

• bordenh
    9 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! You made a perfect choice!

• itsthedetails
    9 years ago

I love your cabinets, sink and soapstone. I also had company over for Thanksgiving and worried about my newly installed soapstone. I did not have any scratches, plates were slid across my peninsula and nothing happen. I also used wax on it.

• romy718
    9 years ago

So happy for you! You did your homework & it really paid off. Your soapstone & cabinets are both gorgeous. Can't wait to see your mosaic green Ming marble backsplash - one of my favorites on GW.

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

Absolutely awesome!

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Scrappy, it's really helpful and encouraging to hear your step-by-step, concerns, successes, whys and why nots. Please continue your excellent narrative, although you're almost done.

I wonder if they install down here in Upper Marlboro -- although I love my Granite Grannies down here around the corner!

Oh - I forgot to say how much I love your soapstone. It's my dream.

• friedajune
    9 years ago

My mouth is literally hanging open at the beauty of your Julia soapstone. Congrats!

• eam44
    9 years ago

Scp, your kitchen is lovely too, and it think the bs is very pretty. Whatever your issues (scratches due to high grit polishing?) you've clearly resolved it. I can't see a single "mistake in that image.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Scrappy, are those refrigerator drawers on the right? The full overlay look fine next to the inset cabs. I can't stop looking at your kitchen :)

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Beautiful, and thanks for posting something positive! Usually it's the problems that get so much of the attention and dialog...

scpalmetto, your stone is gorgeous as well, and looks a lot like our Mariana. I'm truly a soapie, I only wish I had known about it 30 years ago :) Chris

• Rudebekia
    9 years ago

scrappy can you provide information about your cabinet pulls? Thanks!

• PAZC
    9 years ago

Absolutely stunning! Everything you selected is completely beautiful.

Out of curiosity - What kind of corner cabinets did you choose?

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wow, thanks for all the nice comments!

bbtrix, you are one of my many inspirations and have been so much help with my inquiries about the Stages sink (one of my most favorite details)- thank you!

It'sintheDetails, your kitchen is fabulous and I am glad to hear that your soapstone is behaving itself also!

CFFreeman, you may be a little far from Stonemasters, but you never know! The travel charge (for both templating and installation) was $300 for being outside their usual radius by a certain range but the total was still less than any soapstone that I found in Baltimore, and I really felt comfortable that they "knew" their soapstones.

scpalmetto, what a gorgeous kitchen you have! I LOVE that classic soapstone veining and the texture on your glass subways. Happy that your soapstone is now everything you wanted. Don' t you love to run your hand over it?

EAM44, you are so observant! Yes those are refrigerator drawers on the outside right of the peninsula.That area is intended to be my "coffee center". I have my coffee/tea in the middle drawer of the drawer bank next to it and my coffee maker on the counter above it (with an instant hot close by on the sink). I think that Dutchwood would have faked inset drawers for those for an additional $75. I did go for the fake inset on the dishwasher panel but not on the refrigerator drawers.

marita40, those are Belwith Studio Pulls from Amerock. On the drawers I have the P3012-SN (satin nickel, 6 inches long). I have an engineering background so I like linear things that look solid.

PAZC, on the left corner of the U, I have a 36 inch lazy susan with a hinged door, two pie-shaped levels accommodating items up to 13 inches tall. Great for my appliances and largestl pots. On the right corner of the U I have a 41 inch blind corner cabinet with the biggest Lemans unit (picture is in my Part 1 thread). There is a top cutlery drawer in that blind cabinet as well. At first I was really annoyed with the 5-6 inch functional height of the top Lemans shelf since it really couldn't hold much in the way of pots and pans or baking dishes, but I have since realized that it is a perfect shelf to put those pyrex bowls and heavy ceramic bowls that used to threaten accidents when I pulled them down from the upper cabinets. So this "disappointment" forced me into much better functional storage. My 84 year old mom is really happy since she no longer has to call me to get the those heavy bowls from the middle shelf of the upper cabinets.

• arch123
    9 years ago

What a great, informative post. We are in the process of new cabinets and soapstone counters. Our local cabinet builder really has pushed us to go with Stone Dynamics in Martinsville VA because they use that laser measuring for the accuracy etc. Your kitchen looks great! Can you post all the dimensions of you drainboard? I will purchase a sink with a dxf file for the template - thanks

• scpalmetto
    9 years ago

scrappy, funny you mentioned running my hand over the counters, I do "pet" my countertops every time I pass. LOL It is such a velvety surface.

archie, I like the idea of laser measuring. I don't know of anyone around here that does that but I would have gone that route in a minute if they did.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Scrappy your kitchen is great and enjoying the journey. Your Julia is just gorgeous. And that sink...wow! (I'm flashing, it's soo hot!)

• Jenna Brown
    9 years ago

Love your kitchen!

• tea4all
    9 years ago

Thank you for sharing your gorgeous kitchen and explaining the process it has taken to get there. Your posts are very helpful and encouraging to me as I anticipate our reno starting in February.

I love your soapstone with that lovely edge! You are fortunate to be close enough to have worked with Stonemasters.

What are your plans for the shelves under your upper cabs? They could be so useful besides being attractive. How deep and wide are they?

Keep your posts coming. They are a delight.

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

archie123, my drainboard is 16 inches long. The standard for Stonemasters is 18 inches but I wanted to preserve some flat countertop next under the corbel shelves and they were quite flexible. It is about 16 inches front to back but I did not specify that, I think they decide that depending on the sink measurement. Many people get the runnels which are prettier but I wanted the smooth drainboard of ease of cleaning. I thought I would mostly use the Stages sink shelf for drying things but that shelf does not slope down at all and there is always a ittle water on it unless I wipe it off , so this integral drainboard in the soapstone is my most used drying area. Also, that sink including the raised shelf has become my most often used prep area so the integral drainboard adds even more functional real estate.
    I use this very low profile drying rack from Ikea which easily stores in the sink out of view if needed.
    BTW the templater mentioned that Kohler dxf files were very accurate and they trusted them.

Mags438, the sink is I think my favorite thing! You are too funny.

tea4all, the corbel shelves are already holding our most used bowls and mugs. The bottom edge of my cabinets are 19 inches from the countertop with an integral 1 inch hollow area underneath for undercounter lights etc. I designed the shelves to have the bottom 7 inches below that bottom edge of the cabinets (12 inches above the countertop) and 7 inches front to back. I drew the corbels poorly but asked Dutchwood to make the top part 13 inches front to back. tapering down to the 7 inches front to back for the shelves. The shelf thickness is 3/4 inch thick, the thinnest that the cabinetmaker was comfortable with. My upper cabinets are 15 inches deep so the 7 inch corbel shelf depth still allows the undercounter lights (mounted towards the front under the cabinets) to not be blocked by the shelves.
    I designed the shelves i because I wanted to have easy access to my most used items yet get things off the countertop. The height was determined by the location of my preexisting outlets and switches which also happened to be the right height that my coffeemaker could fit under (just) when not in use. I do pull the coffeemaker and rice cooker out from under the cabinets when in use because of the steam that they generate. I will eventually post a picture of the corbel shelves in use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Boholmen dish drainer

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Really beautiful! I'm envious of that sink!

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Part 3, Kitchen Cockpit (Kohler Stages 45 Sink) posted

Here is a link that might be useful: Part 3, Kitchen Cockpit (Kohler Stages 45 Sink)

• Aglitter
    5 years ago

This is an old post but the most informative about the installation process I've come across in months searching for soapstone information. For anyone finding this thread later, I will mention that the general recommendation I've seen for finishing soapstone is 80 grit. The much finer finish applied here makes me wonder how it held up over time, as some people find that scratches show more easily with surfaces finished with finer than 80 grit.

Also, I'm confused as to why scrappy25 was concerned about scratches and didn't choose the harder "Amazon" soapstone. Julia is rumored to be quite hard, but it seems to me that by choosing the harder soapstone that is naturally harder to sand, that you'd have fewer scratches to repair over time. Also, sanding a surface all the time can introduce unevenness, though I doubt Julia as a second choice needed much sanding.

For anyone searching for the famed Julia (also seen spelled as Julya) soapstone that is one of the hardest varieties, I have read that by 2019 it's difficult to find anymore, perhaps having already been quarried out. As a general rule, darker soapstones have less talc and tend to be harder. I've seen general reference to Brazilian soapstone slabs being among the hardest currently available. One's local slab supplier should be able to provide information about hardness of slabs available regionally, and of course, doing your own testing is important, though not foolproof as soapstone slabs can have varying hardness across the same slab.

Thanks for this series of posts, scrappy25. Your dishwasher/sink/LeMans design is precisely what I'm considering for my small kitchen, and it's nice to see someone else who has already done it.

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

thanks Inspo Inspo

I am sad to hear that the Julia soap stone is hard to get now. It has been the perfect choice for us. I have only oiled it twice? in the 4 plus years since installation and it stays beautifully dark. There is a tiny chip and a thin scratch that both disappeared visually after adding a tiny drop of oil. No sanding needed. The roundover edges are still pristine.

As to the choice of the Julia over the Amazon-

Having had both engineering and medical training, I am very practical and tend to follow a “least regrets” model (my own term) for choices when other factors are equal. Assuming that something wrong will happen, which choice allows me a fix so that I can have the least regret?

The layout works really well! I wrote in one of the other posts about having a removable baseboard in the corner to satisfy code requirements that the water lines between the sink and the dishwasher, running under the lemans cabinet, are accessible.

HTH

• Aglitter
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks for the advice about accessible water lines. I also want to add to my previous comment that I have seen other recommendations for finishing soapstone to between 220 to 360 grit, so I am not sure which is best, that range versus 80 grit I have seen elsewhere.