Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjzucker7

Tile or granite little backsplash between levels of peninsula?

szruns
9 years ago

In general, I am planning a simple subway tile backsplash. No granite backsplash.

But, there is one spot, between the two levels of the peninsula, that might benefit from a granite backsplash. The carpenters are finishing the install of the cabinets this weekend for Monday (or Tuesday) counter templating, so I need to know by Monday 8 AM what to tell the counter guys.

It is a working counter peninsula at counter height, then a 6" rise to a 42" high eat-at bar. It's about 6.5 feet long.

Tomorrow, the carpenters will frame a small supporting wall for the counter (and to be what is used adhere a sheet of thin plywood/luan to be under the cabinet paneling that is under the bar). The tentative plan is for them put a narrow strip of drywall on the "front/working" side of the wall that is exposed between the two levels of counter. This would be there to support tile installation OR granite. (My electrician has stubbed a wire there for the outlets on the little backsplash.)

So, big question . . . Should I have the granite folks make me a backsplash for that bit of "wall" between the two levels, or should we continue the subway tile?

Complicating factor is that to the "right" of the eat-at bar . .. there is a big buffet thing for the dining room. Right there abutting the bar will be an upper cabinet that comes flush to the counter, sitting right on the counter. So, from the "working side", you will see a little bit of that side of the cabinet, peeking out there. Should that bit be tiled/covered with granite/backsplashed? That seems weird to me, but would it also be weird to leave it as "cabinet" . . . UGH!

This is the view from the working side of the counter. Note the cabinet at the upper right extends 1 inch past the working counter, so the counter can "die into" the upper/back cabinet.

Note, at the left of the picture, the gap you see between the left/upper cabinet and the front/working cabinets is because the working cabinets are extended 6 inches past the end of that exterior wall. So, there is a 6" gap there. When the walls/counters/cabinets are all in, that gap would show as a 6" "wall" of wood cabinets. Would sort of break up any backsplash I do . . . So, maybe it would work best to do a granite backsplash just between the two levels AND sheathing that same height (5-6") of the bottom of that cabinet side? Hmmm

ARGH!

Comments (7)