Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
istyleit_gw

please! help me decide on cabinets

istyleit
11 years ago

Ok, I redid my kitchen about 2 years ago, but its not all the way complete. My wall cabinets have always driven me crazy I think they are too short. I have a 9in ceiling and they are 30" with the corner being 36". When I redid my kitchen my inspiration were the white kitchens here on GW, with marble and virgina mist granite. So I got the virgina mist granite and a big marble island. I think I still want more white in my kitchen & recently I've been toying with ordering just the uppers in white and in 36" with the corner being 42". keep in my the my white cabinet will butt up against my pantry which I am planning on keeping maple colored aglong with my island. or I could keep the 30's maple color and get a 15 or 18 on top of them to add height. I will basically never be able to go all the way to the ceiling it just seems like it wld be much too expensive for me right now. or I could keep the maple color 30"s and add a 15" white maybe with glass or shelve look on top of it....I feel crazy!!! please help. And let me add the I have a crazy high window above my sink that would become more in proportion with taller cabinets. thank u!

Comments (16)

• deedles
    11 years ago

I'd keep the uppers one color and not add white 18's on top of the current cabs. Can you paint your uppers white for starters? Also helping to lighten it up would be too add some glass to the uppers, too. Is what we see in the pic all there is to the upper cabs in your kitchen?

• jalsy6
    11 years ago

It's funny, I did my kitchen 2 years ago as well, and made a similar mistake (my uppers are 30"...would never do that again). Have been struggling with how to bring them to the ceiling, but I have 12" to fill. I agree in your case that painting the uppers and maybe getting some unfinished cabs to take them to the ceiling might work? Or build up the crown? More pictures of the whole space might help with additional suggestions - for sure you'll get some great ideas here.

• istyleit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I could not figure out how to add more than one picture onto my orginal post....yes paitning is an option but I am scared that if I paint it myself it wont hold up very well. These are my original cabinets for 2004. I had slate backsplash no island and my pantry was in a different spot. Glass front on top of these uppers would be good, but if I did that I think I might have to keep the color as maple unless I painted them. So I was going to rebuy these cabinets in an already painted white version taller, I dont know if that would be a waste of money, or should I paint these and then a stack cabinet and paint those also? I wonder if I would need to buy my stack in the same maple thomasville and then paint them? or could I go with something less exspensive since I"ll be painting them? so do you think having all white uppers with maple lowers would look right?

Thank u!

• jalsy6
    11 years ago

Now that I look at your other pictures I think we even have the same cabinets! Mine are Thomasville Linden door in the Pearl painted finish. I guess I think the easiest (and maybe least costly) solution would be to order stacks for the top and paint both those and the 30s.
    I'm considering ordering face frames, and building a soffit behind them, which in my case with the painted finish will look like cabs above...but I can't quite pull the trigger yet.

Not quite sure what you'd do about your corner cab being taller though....

• istyleit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yes! Linden for me also...that's funny. I WISH I had a pearl finish. now that u see the pantry do you still think it would look ok to have a white cabinet right next to it? I believe it would be ok because my island is still maple colored. I have an appointment with home depot today to look at options. I got an est to paint these uppers.....$2000.00...really! I can but them new and bigger for less than that. I know I can paint them, I just dont want to, Id rather have new ones hung. But you are right, it would probably be the best option. painting thomasville voids the warranty tho. In an idea world, I'd get bigger uppers in white from thomasville and add a glass door with lots of trim on top. Thank u!

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

it just needs more variety,not more cabinets. It's a nicely sized kitchen,but not that big-if you add all those tops it'll close in.Remove the top molding around the fridge and pantry to the right.....add the uppers there with glass doors....leave the other cabs as is except perhaps a glass door for the corner wall cab. Some hardware that coordinates with the cup pulls would be nice-the finish doesn't even seem to match.Have you thought of painting the wall behind the bar stools-either the upper or lower part or do a scheme with 2 colors for the 2 sections....?wallpaper... That side of the room could take a little "focus" which would help give you an overall feel and then the cabs perhaps wouldn't"bother" you so much.

• istyleit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I never considered the pantry side, thats an idea i'll play with. My pulls do match, they are all brushed nickell. Although my weirdly high window would still be taller than the two cabinets on either side of them, if I only did the pantry. I appreciate all of everyones ideas! I do need help.

• localeater
    11 years ago

Have you priced out changing the sink window? It may be the same cost as the white cabinets you are willing to purchase.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

What I see is a 10 year old cozy kitchen that's a bit modest in space, layout, appliances, and finishes. I like your granite, backsplash, and sink area especially. I don't know that paint and additional cabinets will achieve what you see in GW inspiration photos. I'd be careful about turning it into a mix of "generations" and styles that don't suit it--I think you were pushing it a bit with the marble. I know it's hard to see all the latest and greatest in kitchens on GW and not want it, but your kitchen is really nice as is.

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

good point local:even adding a 2nd window to the right of the existing one...omit that one cab...adding the width to windowscape would probably increase the overall value as the one small double hung looks a bit tiny sandwiched in that way.People value windows and light.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Adding the cabs over the fridge as Herbflavor said seems like a good idea.

What is the deal with that window? I've never seen a kitchen window that high on the wall before. Your kitchen isn't in the basement is it? Jeepers. I'd lower that window, as localeater said, if it were at all doable. I think that's half the problem in there, visually.

And agreed that you have a very nice kitchen as is!

• istyleit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank u for all the postive comments and suggestions. I'm surely not trying to actually achieve the GW look that makes me swoon, I just use it as inspiration. I think we can all agree this kitchen without $70,000 would never go there, I'd rather buy a new house .As far as the marble, I believe having grown up in a very old neighboorhood with lots of marble in baths and kitchens it is timeless and not generational. I LOVE the bigger window idea i have NEVER thought of that. it is totally doable, just a pain and a mess. Also I worry abut lossing that cabinet because I need it, my kitchen is little. I do have french Pella doors on a wall to the right in there also. I think moving the window down might be something I need to give SERIOUS thought to. Thank you again, I appreciate all input! and I'm getting some great ideas from you guys!

• Gracie
    11 years ago

I don't see marble as generational either, but I also mentioned style in that sentence. The island covered in marble is a bit of a "bling", just as glass lighted small cabs over your current ones would be or a crystal chandelier over the island. You often see those things in a kitchen with a big slab of marble, but it would be trying to make it into something it isn't. So look at the whole picture.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Re: the window: Not just moving it down, but streeettcchhing it down. Tall and thin and check out how nice a window at counter height looks (granted, yours isn't this wide, but you get the idea):

Whose kitchen is this? Oldbat2be's old kitchen or mamadadapaige's? Can't remember. Ennyhoo...

I think you'll be amazed at what that would do for the overall feel of the room.

• sis2two
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is very nice as pointed out by others. If I did anything, I would add bigger crown molding and maybe add glass doors on either side of your window. Redoing your window would be expensive and I don't think the window is a problem at all. Having some things sitting on top of your cabinets draws your eyes up and I think that helps. You have a very nice space.

• istyleit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ deedles,I think exactly that...a longer window, but I don't have even space behind the faucet to make the window come down to the counter. @sis2two, thank you I appreciate it. After my appointment today the kitchen designer is sending me a drawing of adding 12" uppers to all cabinets and painting them white and leaving the pantry and new pantry uppers and island wheat color. That will bring my cabinets up to the window, I cant do anything about the window anytime soon anyways because its winter now.