Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katy_lou_gw

Waterstone faucets?

katy-lou
11 years ago

We're considering a waterstone faucet - are they worth the extra money? What type do you have? Is the gantry huge? Do the pull downs work well? Our old one was a grohe ladylux and I wasn't impressed - not good flow and the rubber did not wear well

Comments (44)

• poohpup
    11 years ago

I've got two Waterstone faucets in my kitchen. I have the PLP 5500 Traditional at my main sink along with a Hampton hot/cold filtered water and a soap dispenser. At the prep sink I have a Hampton kitchen faucet with a traditional side spray and a soap dispenser. They are all in black ORB.

I hadn't planned on spending so much on a kitchen faucet but knew I wanted something of quality as I had a previous kitchen flood when a kitchen faucet failed to the tune of $27,000 in damage. Had planned on a Grohe Bridgeford until I saw the Waterstone faucets in person. I did a lot of research and couldn't find anything negative about them and every plumbing supplier that I talked with spoke very highly of them. Obviously ended up going with them and have been very happy so far. I've been using them for just over six months so I can't speak to long term use.

I really like the pull down on the PLP. It moves up and down very smoothly and retracts easily. My favorite thing about it is that it stays wherever you put it. If splashing is ever an issue (depends on what I'm washing), I'll just pull down the faucet and it stays. Haven't had any issues with it not staying in place when it retracts. Both faucets have excellent flow but I also have great water pressure at my house.

I'm really happy with the faucets. They're gorgeous, really solid and feel great to use. Have zero complaints. Have you seen them in person? I really think you need to see them to appreciate them. I've seen the Gantry in person both in the Annapolis and the Towson and it is impressive. I'm sure some people would consider it too big and others wouldn't at all. I might have considered a Gantry but I was in love with the PLP Traditional.

If you've ever seen that show "The Little Couple", they have a Towson Gantry in their new home. You'd think such a tall faucet would dwarf them (no pun intended!) but it doesn't. I posted a link to a photo of their kitchen.

A2gemini also has a Waterstone. She has the more modern looking PLP. She did have an issue with the faucet and is dealing with Waterstone to resolve it. I'm sure she'll pipe in and let you know how that is going.

Hope I answered your questions. Good luck with your decision.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Little Couple kitchen

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I will show a picture when on the computer. I have the PLP 5400. I also did not plan on spending this much on a faucet but my frugal mom convinced me to get this faucet.
    I was going to get a grohe I read how many folks had trouble with the head de laminating.
    When it arrived- I would just ogle it until it was installed.

I think I am the only person who has had a Waterstone problem. I noticed a decrease in pressure and figured A2 water grit was the problem but we cleaned the filter and it was still low. I called Waterstone and rhey listened and are sending out a new head.

The way it pulls down is great using a counter balance weight. This model latches on so I don't have to hold the spray switch.

There are some great you tube videos - they sold me and I don't even watch you tube very much.

Usual iPhone errors

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

I have a Waterstone traditional PLP, Hampton hot/cold, air switch and soap dispenser at my only sink. I posted pictures a few weeks ago. I love the faucet and everything else. It is solid, gorgeous and the pulldown works really well. I like it much more than my Hansgrohe Talis S which was only a year old. (I had thought a few cosmetic fixes would satisfy me but apparently not and I tore the whole kitchen out a year later!)

Waterstone is definitely worth the money. I got mine from International Bath and Tile in San Diego. About 30 off and no tax.

• doc8404
    11 years ago

I have the same main faucet as Poohpup (different finish) and I love it.

Of all the pieces/parts that went into my new kitchen, the Waterstone fixtures are at the top of my 'glad I splurged' list.

You will not be sorry if you go this route.

Doc

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

There is a picture of our Waterstone in my final reveal. I will try to post a picture of the faucet later or when I land on terra firma.
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg121427088941.html?74

• LMM170
    11 years ago

I have a Waterstone faucet as well. I've seen nothing that compares. Before I purchased it I did a search on Google to see if there were any complaints. I could not find one. That was not the case with virtually every other brand that I looked at. I purchased mine from Dino Rachiele. My husband was very concerned about the price so Dino offered to send me one at no charge just to look at. He paid for the shipping both to me and from me. He told me that he keeps several in stock just for that purpose. Once my husband opened the box and picked it up he was sold. The faucet must weigh at least 10 pounds. I believe Dino still offers to send you a faucet just to look at. I will put a link for your convenience. There was no one near us that carried the Waterstone brand so I had no way of seeing one before I purchased it. When you go to his website, look for a link on the left side of the page that says faucets. That will take you to his other website that carries the Waterstone brand.

Here is a link that might be useful: See a Waterstone faucet before you buy one.

• Kathy Harrington
    11 years ago

Hopefully you guys are around. I'm sold on Waterstone for a kitchen faucet. My question is what brand did you guys use for the bathrooms. I have had such problems with the ones I have now. I think they are Grohe.
    Thanks

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

I used Harrington Brass for my master bath and Jado for my hall bath.

• realism
    11 years ago

If you read that website closely it says that Waterstone faucets don't cost a lot because they are higher quality but because you are "paying a premium for style, status, finish, a prestige brand name, boutique manufacturing and/or small production runs." The site goes on to say "High-style faucets produced in limited runs tend to cost more, which is why a mass-produced Chicago faucet will usually cost much less than a hand-crafted Waterstone faucet, although the quality of both faucet lines is generally excellent."

Lets be honest when you are paying $1,000 for a faucet you aren't get a faucet that is 3x as good as a $300 faucet. There is no doubt that the $1,000 is probably higher quality but you are probably paying an extra $100-200 for quality and an extra $500-600 for the name and to make your shallow side feel better.

If you have the money go for it, but don't expect the faucet to be that much better. Anyone who tells you the opposite is just finding a way to rationalize their expense.

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

Sorry, realism, I disagree. I had a one year-old Hansgrohe Talis S in my former kitchen. It was very nice. When I redid my kitchen this fall, I bought a Waterstone. The Hansgrohe pales in comparison. The weight of the faucet and the construction are beyond anything I have ever seen.

• homeimprovementmom
    10 years ago

Well, just how much is a waterstone faucet? The Waterstone faucet website does not post prices. Why should I call to get a price? There are a few dealers here in the city I live in but nothing on display either so that is a useless route to explore this faucet.
    The fact that the company cannot or does not post the prices annoys me to such an extent that I am not even going to pursue any further the possibility of purchasing. I am looking at a KWC - not cheap - but at least I can do some prelim. thinking about before I purchase. This whole mystery on the pricing is very annoying to me.

• katy-lou
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We ended up buying from a local retailer. There is one in town here and a few of them in the larger city an hour away. While many of them weren't willing to discount, one of them was and without haggling and they had a good display and the finish ring. And the faucet was
    Amazing

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

I got a traditional pulldown (the PLP 5600) in chrome and it was about $1,100 for the faucet in the fall of 2012. I ordered from International Bath and Tile in San Diego. I think they gave me about a 30% discount. I remember googling and finding Waterstone prices on the web very easily. None as good as the price I got, but there was no mystery.

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

I got a traditional pulldown (the PLP 5600) in chrome and it was about $1,100 for the faucet in the fall of 2012. I ordered from International Bath and Tile in San Diego. I think they gave me about a 30% discount. I remember googling and finding Waterstone prices on the web very easily. None as good as the price I got, but there was no mystery.

• aliris19
    10 years ago

I want to thank Mr Rachiel very much for that superb article! Here it is again: http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/sources.faucets2.htm

• kitchendreamin54
    9 years ago

Can anyone advise as to the living finish that is available for a Waterstone faucet. I'm concerned it may not hold it's beauty over time. Would anyone have this finish and be able to comment? Waterstone states in their literature that some of their finishes are less than optimal regarding maintenance of the finish.

• katy-lou
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have the antique brass which is a living finish. So far so good it does change over time but it is beautiful and very well made.

• ReBe231
    9 years ago

I bought the traditional pulldown 3 pc suite in chrome and it is beautiful. I love the design and you can feel the quality.

• napagirl
    8 years ago

Poohpup - Can you tell me how the black ORB finish is holding up on your Waterstone faucets? I'm ready to order faucets before the price increase on Jan 1 and I'd appreciate hearing from you. Have you used a paste wax to help protect the living finish as some have suggested? Thanks in advance,

• napagirl
    8 years ago

katy-lou - How is your Antique Brass living finish holding up and how long have you been using it?

• PRO
    -Of Wood & Stone- Designs by Tracey Heater
    7 years ago

Waterstone also has a lifetime, transferable warranty on all their parts. The tech behind it is pretty amazing and they are all made and most- except the precious metals, finished in the US. I have been a designer for over 15 years and have seen nothing that comes close. They are beautiful and amazing.

• F. Craig Littlejohn
    7 years ago

Last May I ordered the Waterstone 5400-CH Parche Single Handle with pull out spray in chrome. I wanted polished nickel, but picked chrome after reading all the issues people have with the nicer finishes (like flaking, spots, etc). I paid $1089 on Amazon, although they are now showing $1400 for the same model. I had my local plumber do the install. So far I have no complaints. The faucet works perfectly with all the benefits others have listed in their reviews. I've had no issues with the finish, or spotting, and have not needed to contact customer service. The solidity of the construction is worth noting, even other high end faucets feel flimsy by comparison. The only issue I've had has been the rubber stopper that covers the spray switch popping out, but it goes back in easily.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    7 years ago

Mine is just installed.

• sgerl
    5 years ago

Considering a Waterstone pull down PLP in contemporary with toggle switch. Have read a review online which complains that the pull down handle becomes very hot when running hot water. Can anyone speak to this? Jerry Jorgenson, I see you posted a picture of this faucet in your kitchen a few years ago -- do you have any feedback?

• Jerry Jorgenson
    5 years ago

I've never had an issue where the handle is too hot. However, in our house the hot water is controlled by the tankless water heater rather than mixing hot and cold water (and wasting the money you spent heating up the water in the first place--tank type water heaters are relics of the past just like gas powered cars and gas ovens), I suspect if you have a tank type, then you turn up the temperature as hot as possible so that you don't run out of hot water too quickly, which could cause the handle to get hot if you don't also turn on the cold water.

• HU-817418394
    2 years ago

We have had a waterstone faucet since 2015 and have multiple part failures. Each time there is a problem the company sends the replacement but usually we have to hire a plumber to manage the fix. i love the look of the faucet but it is completely unreliable. Sadly, I am to the point where I am strongly considering replacing it

• Design Girl
    2 years ago

@Jerry Jorgenson - Are you still happy with your Waterstone faucet after 4 years?

• Jerry Jorgenson
    2 years ago

Design Girl -- Yes. Works fine.

• HU-772689019
    last year

Beautiful design: definiteltly. Amazing quality: definitely. Excessively and ridiculously expensive: absolutely.

I mean, come on! $4,900 for their kitchen spray-and-pot-filler faucet combo. $8,000 for their new Argonaut shower trim valve. $12,850 for their Argonaut retractible wheel hand shower sprayer.

They are way out of control with theirbpricing. It shouldn't cost you the price of a new car just to buy three fauceys from them! Even if one does buy similar but poor quality faucets offered from places like Home Depot or Lady for $500, even if they broke down every years, it would take 100 years before you lost more money than forked over for Waterstone! I realize they give a lifetime warranty (which is super), but unless live over 100 years after purchasing, you've certainly already paid big time for that warranty.

• Melissa
    last year

I want to point out that Waterstone says they buy their metal from Ohio and they manufacture and assemble it in CA. This will increase the cost. Other brands like Rejuvenation are around the same price but some materials and manufacturing are from overseas (where?).

I don’t have a Waterstone, but I am considering one for my kitchen remodel. I’m not sure how reasonable the price is, but I know that ”made in USA” is expensive.

• Design Girl
    last year

@Melissa - My understanding is that Rejuvenation products are made in China. Waterstone faucets are extremely costly. I was looking at one that was almost 2K. I ended up using Rohl which is made in Italy (and I'm fine with that).

• acdclosgatos
    last year
    last modified: last year

@HU-817418394 Which WaterStone faucet did you get that keeps leaking/ breaking?

What keeps "breaking/ leaking" on the faucet?

Didn't WaterStone just offer a new faucet after 2 repairs/ fixes?

You stated you got multiple WaterStone products besides faucets so is it just the 1 kitchen faucet causing you grief?

Did you get your WaterStone plumbing fixtures during the Pandemic? Maybe that affected quality control but I would think they would replace a faucet completely.

If you could redo all your faucets and showers then would you choose another brand?

In another Houzz thread -https://www.houzz.com/discussions/3449576/waterstone-faucets-horrible-customer-service#n=85. Many people have to fight with WaterStone about finish issues.

FYI- WaterStone does not have warranty for their finishes. The majority of their finishes are "Living Finishes" which change over time so you have to remove "tarnish" & wax their plumbing fixtures. That is quite a bit of work since we don't have a maid or any extra help like the majority of America.

I was looking at WaterStone faucets for my kitchen sinks but Delta has a better warranty than WaterStone. See link -also posted above: http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/sources.faucets2.htm#waterstone_namelink

Delta has lots of new stuff like Delta® ShieldSpray® Technology. Delta also has Delta SpotShield Technology on the same faucet design, so I can get a SS Kitchen Faucet w/ all of the above plus Delta VoiceIQ Technology.

I realize getting new tech can have bugs but I plan to have a full house warranty to have a fixed price for any repairs, especially if I get the hi-tech Delta faucets.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    last year
    last modified: last year

acdclosgatos -- The last time I looked, only a few finishes were "Living Finishes". The idea with LF is they wear over time and create a multi-coloured patina. You don't wax them or polish them because, you want the patina to appear. They are likely problematical if you use a maid service because the finish will be polished away by the maids. I've had mine since 2017 and am very pleased with how the patina looks.

• Chelsea
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

I know this is an older post but wanted to add my experience. I love my Chrome PLP modern faucet but I did have some initial issues with both my soap dispenser and pot filler.

The soap dispenser was super wobbly when first installed, so I reached out to Waterstone. They shared that there were two options - a plastic sleeve or plastic o rings. We had received the sleeve and so they send us the o rings for free to try. They worked much better and were easy to install and no more major wobble. The second issue was with our pot filler. Once installed it was super hard to swing and made a horrible grinding/squeaking noise. I contacted waterstone and they said some stiffness was normal but suggested some silicone lubricant to help I tried lubricant and working the hinge but it just didn’t help and eventually they replaced it under the warranty. The new one was immediately easy to move and no grinding.

So with that said like any company quality issues might happen but their customer service was great since they not only helped troubleshoot the problems but answered quickly and worked fast to get the replacement. I doubt many other companies would be as helpful and just feeling the weight of the fixtures tells you it’s good quality. I’ve also had no issues since and love my fixtures! I’ll probably take them with me whenever I move LOL

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    11 months ago

I appreciate your comments as what you have indicated has been my experience for almost 15 years.

• Joan D
    8 months ago

I just installed a Waterstone brass faucet in my kitchen during a remodel and I am in love with it. It feels luxurious (interesting word for a faucet!), and is well made and beautiful. Curious to see how it holds up and changes over time. I used unlacquered brass hardware throughout the kitchen so it will be interesting to see how all the different brass elements age. The faucet was a definite splurge but it is worth it.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    8 months ago

Hello Joan, You made a wonderful choice. Don't forget, every Waterstone product has a lifetime functional warranty.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    8 months ago

Joan D -- Here are a few pictures of how Tuscan Brass looks over time.

• Lisa
    8 months ago

I installed the unlaquered brass PLP about 3 months ago, this is how they look so far

• Amie Miles
    6 months ago

Lisa, are you liking this faucet still?

• Lisa
    6 months ago

@Amie Miles yes! my husband still makes fun of me about how much it cost (it was my big splurge) but I love how it feels using it every day. so solid. I might have gone with a lacquered type finish in retrospect, but the patina definitely suits our 140 year old home.

• Amie Miles
    6 months ago

Lisa, thank you so much for writing me back! I am considering this same faucet in unlaquered brass for a traditional timeless kitchen but wondering about the lived in finish. Also worried about the investment

• Jerry Jorgenson
    6 months ago

Amie Miles -- If you clean the faucet yourself, there's no problem. If you use a cleaning service they will likely remove the finish unless you watch them like a hawk and perhaps put a "Do not clean sink or faucet" note on the sink.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs