Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucik77

what's holding up your granite (other than cabinets)?

lucik77
13 years ago

We have designed a circle, about a 45 inch in diameter to 'stick out' from the cabinets and act as our eat in area. I'm having a bit of trouble finding good options for supporting the 'structure'. One option is to use a 'leg' for support but then its installation (how to fasten it to the granite and to the floor) is questionable.

What do you have in your kitchen?

Thank you for your advice!

Comments (11)

• lucik77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bump

• weissman
    13 years ago

You need to get a granite expert to respond to this. There are various methods for supporting an overhang but this is most likely not a diy project. Do you have a granite fabricator you're working with? They'll know how to do this.

• melissastar
    13 years ago

Without knowing exactly what you have in mind, it's hard to tell what would be needed. Is it a full circle that would be otherwise unsupported? Or is half or a quarter of the circle over cabinets? Either way, you should keep in mind the rules about what needs supporting...anything over 6" on 2 cm thick stone, anything over 10" on 3cm stone. So if you've got a lot of that 45" diameter without cabinets under it, it seems like you'll need a subtop.

Depending on your configuration, you may be able to use counterbalance supports such as I have under the curved overhang on my counter (22" wide overhang at it's widest). Take a look at those sold by Chemical Concepts.

Depending on

Here is a link that might be useful: Stone counter overhang supports

• marcydc
    13 years ago

I've got a 1/2 circle with a 3 foot radius. We have a cabinet leg and a steel plate under it. Work with your granite guy and your contractor. The granite guy will tell you want you need. We could have got by with 6 x 1/4" inch bands of steel back to the other side of the island, but we decided to play it safe. 2 guys were standing on that steel (before the granite when it), so I'm pretty sure it is OK.

• lucik77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your feedback!

To clarify, here is what I'm looking to do:

i am not planning to do it myself but different professionals seems to feel that this is very difficult to implement. i'm not sure why since i've seen such designs on the Finished Kitchens sections. i will forward them your suggestions since i am a true believer in the opinion of GW members :)

what do you think?

• marcydc
    13 years ago

It's hard to tell what is supporting that much overhang on that pic. If you have 2cm granite, you usually have a built up edge and plywood underneath. 3cm granite usually doesn't.

My guess is that that is 2 cm with 3/4" plywood or perhaps steel underneath.

Here's mine - FWIW.

• lucik77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

marcydc, thank you for the pictures! could you send a picture of the supporting structure (i.e. how the steel plate looks under your counter?) how thick is it? how big is it compared to the diameter of your granite circle?

Thank you!

• lucik77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

one more follow up question: what kind of professionals build these kids of "leg" supports? granite guys, general contractor, carpenter? Thanks!

• marcydc
    13 years ago

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Life gets in the way sometimes!

So, we had the cabinet company make the leg. We ordered it when we ordered the cabs. We asked for sturdy - it's pretty beefy.

The granite guy and my GC consulted with me onsite. The GC had done plywood subcounters so the templating could be done. There were several options and we went with the sturdiest, a steel plate.

I just measured and it is 3/4" steel. My GC went and got it from a metal shop. I think the cost was around $300 but i'm still waiting on that bill (and many others, but hey I'm not complaining!) It's basically just replacing the 3/4" normal plywood subcounter you have with 2cm granite.

The 2cm stacked edge granite is like .8 inches so that puts the steel slightly shorter that the granite overhang. I think the metal fabricator did the holes for the screws into the leg and for the screws into the pony wall in the island.

• marcydc
    13 years ago

Oh, and it is orange/red color because my husband made the GC spray it with Rustoleum. He chose the color to match the cabs (I probably would have made it dark or black, but you can't see it anyway ).

• lucik77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marcydc, this is so helpful! Thank you so much for your feedback!!!