Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberm145_gw

Prep sink, or centering the stove?

amberm145_gw
9 years ago

So, I have a wall that has 2 pantry cabinets on either end, with a free standing oven in between.

I asked the KD to add a prep sink in there. But she said there isn't room on either side of the stove. There is room to move the stove over, and then put in the prep sink. But then the stove isn't centered between the pantry cabinets.

Would you give up a prep sink to have symmetry?

Here's the layout. Note, the number 1 rule for my kitchen is NOTHING in the island. That includes a prep sink.

Comments (17)

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

There appears to be room for the prep sink on either side...does your KD say why it wont fit? What room is off to the right? Unless you have a dead on view of that wall most of the time, and quite frankly even if you did, I dont think giving up the symmetry would bother me. I just got my first prep sink ever and really appreciate it.

• User
    9 years ago

Symmety is far from important when you've got dysfunction that embraces it. What are the clearances to the right side of the island and wall? Do you actually want to use the island for prep? If not, then what is it's purpose? There is a MUCH better layout here. This is awkward and serves neither form nor function. Post a layout of the adjacent spaces with dimensions of this space.

• fouramblues
    9 years ago

I don't care much about symmetry, but I see no value added by that prep sink. The refrigerator is near a water source, and there's prep space near them, so I'd nix the prep sink and do what you like with the range run. If symmetry floats your boat, go for it. Note that I agree with hollysprings that there are more optimal layouts than what you've got there.

• gabytx12
    9 years ago

You definitely have room for a prep sink. They come in all shapes and sizes...so you might not even need to give up symmetry if you choose a smaller sink.
    Tell the KD you want it, and go look for a sink size that you can live with and tell her specifically that she needs to make room for a ? X ? sink. That might make it easier.

• Fori
    9 years ago

I think the KD means that there won't be room to actually prep next to the prep sink without moving the range. That's a personal decision, though, and dependent on cooking style. I think I'd feel cramped using the sink as pictured but it might work well for someone who is more organized.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

The whole purpose of a prep sink is the place the water correctly to be able to prep beside it---between the water and the fire. That needs to be around 36" of space, including the emergency landing spot. Placing it so close to the cooking zone makes it a pot filler, or a pot dumping sink, but it won't function as a prep sink. Because there is no prep room.

• practigal
    9 years ago

I am with fouramblues and hollysprings you have space to put a sink anywhere that you please, but it serves no useful purpose you will not feel like using it there as there will be just no useful space around it. I also don't understand the purpose of the island other than to be trendy that will cost you terms of use later. are people sitting at the island with their backs to a wall? Otherwise why is the space being chopped by the island?

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

Physically, there's room for a prep sink. Functionally? Not so much, IMO. As others have pointed out - and your KD, too, for that matter - the proposed plan lacks counter space to prep between sink and range.

Can you move the window? If so, this plan is possible.

{{gwi:2142949}}

The fridge is no longer a tall barrier between sink and range.

If you can't move the sink, do you have room to expand the kitchen enough room to the right of the window to place the fridge at the end of that run?

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

I know you said nothing on the island, but this would really separate the cleanup and prep functions well. It wouldn't be obtrusive on a larger island either.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

I like Lisa's idea! But, if you can't move the window, maybe you could shift around some of the pieces...

Here's an idea, with one less pantry, but prep sink under the window. Have fun with the planning :) {{gwi:2142950}}From Kitchen plans

• amberm145_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The problem is resolved. She had said there wasn't room for the second sink back when we had tried to put the fridge on the range wall, at the bottom of the drawing. Having a 36" fridge meant a 36" pantry on the other end for balance. And that meant 6" less on either side of the stove. Not having the fridge there means more space.

I guess "prep" sink is an inaccurate term. I don't actually do much prep at the sink. I wash the vegetables and then take them over to the island to sit and do my chopping and peeling. I wanted a sink closer to the stove because I have a tendency to burn myself while cooking. The cleanup sink is going to be about 10' from the stove. When I'm not being an idiot, there are other reasons for a 3rd sink. DH and I always seem to be fighting over the sink. Whether I am washing and he wants to dump something; or he wants to pile dirty dishes in the sink to create the most disgusting and dangerous mess ever to bless a kitchen, and I have no place to fill a pot or wash some vegetables. I'm hoping a 3rd sink might eliminate this strife. Or it can be used as a bar sink when entertaining. (It's actually marked on the wrong side of the stove in this drawing.)

The window can't move. It's actually moved a few more inches to the right, as the architect forgot to account for the thickness of the exterior cladding when he placed the window. There's a bathroom behind the fridge. That's not the view I want from my kitchen. :) The stove is on an exterior wall. But we're less than 8 feet from the neighbour, so we're not allowed to put windows on that wall.

The island will not be L shaped. That was thrown in as a suggestion when the fridge was going to be next to the dining room. (For landing space.)

The space is a fully open concept main floor, there are no walls that aren't on this drawing. Practigal, there's nothing "trendy" about my island. I've had an island like this for 12 years and wouldn't trade it for anything. A wide open space not broken up by anything is SOOO useful. I spread out my ingredients when I'm batch cooking. I lay out food when entertaining. I even wrap presents on this island. I'm sure you'd probably consider the open concept trendy and useless. But again, I've lived with it for 12 years. The rooms that are closed off from the kitchen just don't ever get used. Only the dog ever sits in my formal living room.

Granted, the new island is bigger than the old one, so I could put in a sink at one end and have just as much open space as I do now. But not having a sink allows more options for countertop materials. I am also contemplating reducing some of the cabinets underneath, so you can sit on one or both ends.

• sena01
    9 years ago

Even if you aren't going to use the area b/w the range and the sink for prep, a sink right next to a tall cab and very close to range would be uncomfortable imo. You won't have any elbow room, probably get water splashes on the side of the pantry most of the time. Consider a single bigger pantry cab and having the sink at a more open space, maybe like this.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

But not having a sink allows more options for countertop materials.

Like what? What types of countertop material can you not put a sink in?Newspaper? Silk? Fondant?

so you can sit on one or both ends

Perfect. With seating directly backing up to the range, you can burn your guests, too.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

"I wanted a sink closer to the stove because I have a tendency to burn myself while cooking."

Crowding the range seems like it would lead to more instances of burns because you have less room to maneuver around the range.

Keep a bottle of aloe vera or a live aloe vera plant near your range. That takes up less space but will soothe burns as well as running the burn under c0ld water.

Another option would be to consider an induction range. There is a reduced r1sk of burns compared to standard electric or gas ranges.

This post was edited by lisa_a on Sat, Dec 13, 14 at 19:51

• practigal
    9 years ago

There are no aisle measurements in the picture and it looks like the island is jammed into a small room now that you show the adjoining space as open it makes more sense. I would just make sure the aisle is wide enough for two people to pass each other comfortably. If this is your forever home you may want to add a seat for you on the prep side so that you don't always need to stand and prep.

• bmorepanic
    9 years ago

I have a prep sink with not much prep room beside it and one side is directly up against a wall. I have much the same uses of a prep sink (including the burn thing!) so I think of it as a pot filler + water drain.

It works for me, but not as well as having one with elbow room on both sides would have. If you are right-handed, you will not be happy with that sink placement - even for light use. Using your current sink, put a fake wall in the same relationship to your existing faucet. You can use an empty box or a big cookie sheet. It needs to stick out a bit beyond the counter edge. See what that's like to use when you can't use your right hand to do much because there is literally no elbow room.

Think about using a 36"-42" sink base on the short side of the island "L". Place a prep sink or something like the small kohler stages sink there facing the range. Now you get a hand sink/veg washing/wet work area by just turning around.

• amberm145_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank-you, bmorepanic. We've actually moved it to the other side. I wanted it closer to the eating area anyway. But the left hand/right hand thing is an excellent consideration.

Lisa, I might actually have an allergy to aloe. I sunburn easily, and aloe is about the LEAST soothing thing I can ever do to my sunburns. I get so annoyed that aloe products are pushing out the non-aloe products when it comes to burn relief. And we are planning for induction. It's mostly the pans that I burn myself on.