Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show me your multi-colored subway tile backsplash

Posted by olivertwist (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 23:23

I want subway tiles. Hubby doesn't like the monochrome look. I think I may win him over with a backsplash that is multicolored like these.

Fireclay has great tiles but I can't figure out how to "design" a backsplash from scratch.

Can you show me pictures of backsplashes like this?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show me your multi-colored subway tile backsplash

Here's some. Hope they help.

o

Thanks. How did you find so many so fast? What did you google that I didn't?

o

Oliver - Love that first one!
If you go to Houzz and search for mulit-colored backsplash you will get over 180,000 hits to pick from.
Good luck!

o

My favorite multi-colored tile (not subway, but she still had to mix the colors!) kitchen is owned by Rococogurl:

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Eurosplash Kitchen

o

Here's our backsplash. We mixed 6 colors. The hardest part was coming up with a non-random pattern that looked random.

o

We used a random pattern with three colors. I actually did use a random number generator to lay out the backsplash! My tile guy was quite amused when I handed him a printed image of how I wanted each wall to look.

o

Thanks sas95. Yours is the other one I have saved in my favorite files.

So I always thought I could just pick out a ready made sheet or pattern from the tile place. Are you all saying I need to pick my favorite 4-5 colors and then actually lay them out myself in a pattern? I don't think I have the eye to do that!!!

o

I don't think that the subways will come in ready made patterns. I think that's mostly the much smaller tiles. Walker Zanger, where we got our tile, does have some combinations of colors that they sell pre-mixed.

It's time consuming to put together a pattern, but not rocket science. You just really want to make sure that there aren't clumps of one color all together.

o

karen, can you share a picture?

o

Since the gray tile is a different size from the other two colors, the tiles were laid randomly in columns, not a generalized random pattern. And when I made my random pattern spreadsheet, I decided to use only 3 gray tiles per column so that the height of the column would work with my wall. So it isn't really entirely random.

o

Here's an idea with just two colors.

o

Thanks all.
That first kitchen I posted, does anyone know who it belongs to? I don't know where I got it from.

o
To bevel or not to bevel?

Should I choose beveled tile or not?

o

Olivertwist - looks similar to mine.

Photobucket

It is Florida Tile Pietra Art Stone - slate mosaic, african gold - 4x2 size. Check this link, it's about 3/4 of the way down the page:

I hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Tile Slate Backsplash

o

Autumn, that's gorgeous. Are there a lot of greens in it? It's hard to tell. I was hoping for a bit more color and not so neutral, but hubby likes it just as is. (So frustrating we can never agree...don't think we'll ever pick a backsplash, and I won't pick the counter until we do!)

I had been planning on recycled glass or recycled ceramic tile from Fireclay or Blazestone tile; I hadn't thought of using slate. How is it to clean? I would think the uneven surfaces would be difficult.

o

olivertwist - thank you-it is my favorite thing in our kitchen. It was easy to install also (it comes on a mesh). I think they have 4 variations, so check the link to see if there is another that you like better. They are all quite different. Be sure you get samples in person. You can also 'enhance' it with a certain kind of sealer that deepens it but we chose not to.

I wouldn't say a lot of green. When I look at it I see quite a bit of variation but if I had to pick one color that stood out I think the slate gray does because its darker than the others. There are red (some moving into a pink if you can believe that) tones, clay or an olive green color, orange/rust. I have attached a couple of close ups I just took. The first one is with flash and the under cabinet lights on. The next is with the uc lights off but the kitchen light is on. If you want one in natural light I can catch one tomorrow since it's already pitch dark out.

tile with uc lights on

uc lights off

o

Autumn, what are they like to clean?

o

I sealed the tile twice before install but haven't sealed it since and never did end up sealing the grout. It wipes up easily. We installed it 1 1/2 years ago and so far so good. That said we really haven't had anything splattered on it such as spaghetti sauce or anything. The area that gets splattered most is behind the sink from rinsing dishes and that looks just like the rest.

o

I just read that you don't have to seal slate. Is that not true? I just emailed Florida tile to ask if they would be willing to send me a sample.

o

I have not heard that. We sealed ours to make it easier to wipe the excess grout off and have it not change the color of the slate. It is a rough surface with divits and it was a bit of a chore wiping the grout out of the nooks and cranies WITH it sealed. I wouldn't NOT do it but I am a scaredy cat when it comes to that stuff. It is easy to do before install. I laid it all out on the garage floor and used a foam brush. I was finished in no time at all

If you have any tile distributors around you give them a call to see if they carry it also and then borrow a sample for a week or so to stare at it in your space. We were choosing between California Gold and African Gold. It was tough. I second guessed it even after I ordered it but I love what we have.

I hope that helps.

o

Sorry to be a pest, but does anyone know who owns that first picture? THANKS

o

You mean the one that YOU posted, right?

Google Image Search seems to indicate it originated at Paramount Granite:

Here is a link that might be useful: Paramount Granite

o

Thanks, how did you figure that out?

I dug deeper on their blog and someone else asked about the tile and they said they didn't know, they only installed the counters.

:(

o

If you go to Google Images (link below), and click on the little camera icon in the search box, you can enter a URL for a picture. Then Uncle Google tells you where it (probably) came from.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Image search for pictures

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here