Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildturkey450

mantle above range

wildturkey450
13 years ago

Maybe I should be posting on the remodeling forum but I want to create a fireplace mantle above my kitchen cook stove. I see this often in cabinet manufacturers' catalogs (Kraftmaid, Diamond,etc). The vent hood would be incorporated within this mantle. Since I'm designing my kitchen myself, I'wondering if anyone has done this and what type of vent did you use, manufacturer, model, etc. Any info would be helpful.

Comments (10)

• missmuffet
    13 years ago

I think Beenie130 built a beautiful one

- search for the subject:
    designed and built range hood mantle - need a critical eye

• houseful
    13 years ago

Here's mine. I do have pictures of my hood and the construction of the box that are not uploaded yet. If you want to see those, let me know.

I used a 40" hood over my 36" cooktop. It's called Proline and I linked the insert page. They were amazingly helpful on the phone in helping me decide exactly which model I needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Proline Hood Inserts

• User
    13 years ago

Here is mine. I love placing different art work and decorative items up there. Mine has a 54 " hood liner with remote blower on the roof. I have 54" under it of cooking space....there is a 36" gas Caldera cooktop and a 12" Miele builtin deep fat fryer, with 6" between them. I broke the rule for the width since I have a 1400 cfm liner by Tradewind and also the main burner is in the center so it all has perfect capture. I linked the website for my liner. They are extremely good quality, very quiet and great price. c

Here is a link that might be useful: Tradewind hood liner

• clergychick
    13 years ago

We had hoped to use a mantle from the old farmhouse my grandfather grew up in, but it's condition was worse than we expected, so we had our contractor build a replica of sorts.

Here's the old one:

Here's the new:

When we ordered the cabinets we made a plan for the pieces we would need for the mantle -- columns, panels, beaded trim, corbels, etc. -- so all the materials are the same as the cabinets.

I confess I don't know much about the venthood that is inside it: the contractor selected what he thought we needed based on our cooktop and what would work in the mantle.

FWIW -- Amy

• wildturkey450
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You all had such an imaginative use of space above your cook area--I am impressed! I guess I have my work cut out for me! Thanks

• taggie
    13 years ago

Ooooh, clergychick, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your mantle! I've been trying to envision a mantle for our new kitchen that would be elegant and not overwhelming for our space, and this is it! Love the traditional styling, and the mirror really opens it up. I copied it to my idea file and I hope to give it to our cabinet maker to shamelessly copy in the new year.

I love your cranberry bottles just as much as the mantle itself. Have they been in your family forever, or by any miracle did you purchase them recently. And if so where? :-)

• clergychick
    13 years ago

Wow, thanks, taggie! It would be very cool to think there is another mantle out there like ours! I'll have to keep watching the forum just to see it someday.

As for the bottles, good news for you! They were $5 each at Pier One! I think they are still available -- but if not there, surely you can find them elsewhere.

Amy

• taggie
    13 years ago

Yaaayy, thanks clergychick. Just got back from Pier One with bottles in hand! Now I just need the new kitchen and I'm all set. :-)

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I don't think I have paid much attention to your niche until now, Clergychic. You got a useful feature while retaining the aesthetic integrity of the tiles and the mantel concept. Good job!

• clergychick
    13 years ago

Thanks, florantha! I love it -- both functionally and aesthetically. --Amy